Battery problem

badbait

3 litre starting problem
I have a 300 PM that was giving me a starting problem at the end of last year so I decided that I would look at it over the winter. Since the battery was 5 years old I changed it out for a new one with the same cranking amps. That did not fix the problem. I them went through and put dialectic grease on every connection. I still had the problem. I then had the starter tested and it was fine. I then went to my local Mercury shop to talk to the owner. The first thing he asked me was how many cranking amps my new battery had. I told him 625 cca and he said for the newer motors Mercury is recommending 1000 cranking amps for the starting battery and that is probably my problem. I looked in my 250XS manual when I got home and sure enough that’s what it said. So I then went and got another new battery with 1000 cranking amps and it now spins like a top. Make sure you buy enough cranking amps when buying a new battery for the newer motors.

Last edited:

West Coast Bull

BadBait ....What size batters do you have with your 250 ? Most are 850 cca and it seems to work but yes I think 625 cca is to small.

badbait

BadBait ....What size batters do you have with your 250 ? Most are 850 cca and it seems to work but yes I think 625 cca is to small.
Just the day before our last fishing trip with you and Donny I changed that one out also and put in a 1000cca battery. The manual for the 250XS say 850 in the minimum CCAs.

Yellowallison

he said for the newer motors Mercury is recommending 1000 cranking amps for the starting battery and that is probably my problem.
Yes badbait.. the opti motrs require 1000 CRANKING AMPS!

R

Redding XB21

Bill,
Mine came with a Trojan starting battery and no problems so far so I guess it is a 1000 CCA. I have not had to take it out, just added water for the first time yesterday.