Battery placement on a 21 PS

GotMyAlly

How do you guys with 21 Prosports have your batteries laid out? Mine came with a cranking batt in the center compartment offset to the right just a little, and the left compartment has 2 trolling motor batteries, a cooler, and a onboard charger. With all that weight on the left, it would probably run good solo....but put a passenger on the left side and there's no way I could stuff enough ballast in the right side to level things out.

champ198

Neal, almost same setup as you. I put a 7lb three bank charger in the storage box behind the driver seat. So far, so good. I don't know what charger you have, but it could be relocated if its heavy. (you would need to buy the charger cable extender leads). I run good solo.

cj707

I'm always fishing two up. Put one in each side compartment in the back. Left starter and the charger alone. Just like in my 03. Perfectly level at rest.

XB21er

I've got two in the center, one on the left plus charger. I've also run it like Lars' with one on each side and one center, and I'm thinking of going back- best with two and also runs with less positive trim. Also run it with two to the left and one in the center- best for solo but not good with two.

Craig

Allyfishing

Neal and Duane, same thing as you guys mentioned. 2+2 like Duanes cranking batt in the bilge slide to the drivers side and 2 TM batt in port side rear locker stuffed all the way in the rear. I installed the heavy 20LB Motorguide 3 bank charger in drivers side rear locker to add weight to my side. Solo I'm level. Problem is, with my fishing partner (over 300LB) I am leaning really bad to his side. That locker behind him with the batteries is MT. I'll put all his gear and my tool box behind me and I'm still leaning bad.

I'm with you Neal and don't know what to do?? XB21er may be onto something there. The 2 TM batt centered in bilge and the cranking in starboard side hatch. But then you would have to run longer battery wires over to the port side hatch where the ON/OFF batt switch is.

Craig (another Craig??))LOL :beer:

GotMyAlly

With the PS, the cooler tray is on the left side. I'm thinking about ordering a 2nd cooler tray to install on the right side. That will let me move the cooler to the right side when needed. That and maybe a single shot bag on the right side should balance it with 2 ppl. Then just toss the shot bag and move the cooler back to the left for solo running.

mrbassfla

my prosport was set up by glenn reynolds, i had two batt. on the port and one in the middle, i moved one from the port to the middle took my shotbag out from the starboard put a powerpole[about 36lbs] on starboard side runs great with no problems

Last edited:

Fishforcash

Put a cooler tray on both sides and move the cooler or use the starboard side for their tackle bag if you are fishin'. A BPS Extreme bag fits nicely in the cooler tray. With the room you got in that tank you will probably have 2 women and another man (maybe 3 women) so it will balance out even.

You might need 2 coolers, a man cant ever have enough beer.

GotMyAlly

LOL, I'll just plug the livewell and use that for keepin' the beer cold if I have that problem.

Me and RA talked about adding a 2nd cooler tray just last weekend, but honestly I'm not sure if I need to at this point. I really haven't had any balance problems since the first time out when I had no weight in the boat except me and a passenger. Since I put the TM on, etc., it has balanced fine every time out. I think a lot of my leaning on that initial run was from the motor being mounted too low on the jackplate. I was being conservative on the j/p button and once I got home I measured to find that i was running it 4" below that pad. I think it was more prop torque leaning it to the left than weight distribution.