battery location

waterskipper

I got this ss comp. Right now battery is mounted just in front the drivers feet.. In my old excel it was on the shelf at the rear on the left side? Ive also seen them in the center way down just in front of the fuel tank whats best for lake running and the odd drag race?? thx.

propmanjay

Mine was in the front when I got my SS. I moved it to the rear and loved it. It didn't hurt the launch and it was much more user frindly on the top side. Mine was an SSr with 6" set back and a 15" mid. I weigh 230 if I was 190 it would have been fine.

waterskipper

im 10" set back 15" and 185 cut like a diamond...lol. IM thinking the back is safer???

propmanjay

I only turned mine around once and it was with the battery in the front. But I feel it was my fault as I got greedy with the trim. Don't know the limit untill you find it.

waterskipper

with my old excel , seat slide in the center , battery in back and 1/4" ish below the pad i could completley chop the gas @ 90 ( found this out well coming up on some surprise waves) and it would just settle down. So im thinking ill go the same type of set up on the new comp.

suicidealli

that is a good place to start!!! the ss is friendly a touch lower than the pad. it kills the top end mph. i ran the best mph about a 1/4 above, BUT the boat drives different. and yes i have hooked before.lol the ss sucks to hook in. u might come out of the seat.. the drag is a lot easier on you..JMO

roy

whipper

Though I don't have an SS I always feel the intended placement for such things like batteries,fuel tanks ect.. is were Derris designed them to be. Theres exceptions for every rule but those tend to be only when your setting up an Allison in a fashion that Darris never intended for his boats. You might want to ask the previous owner why he placed the Battery so forward?

propmanjay

In any boat, it is all about ballance. With a battery in the front or back the boat will handle different with a 180lb driver than it will with a 220lb driver. The lighter the boat is the more critical the ballance. In my SSr if my son tried to lean to the side to look around me at anything over 90 the boat would take a nice lean and pull to that side to the point that I would have to make a correction. In the XR sometimes all you have to do is lean your head and or your body to one side or the other to make a correction. You just can't have a caned set up. If we could all of us would run the same.

K.Kiser

Though I don't have an SS I always feel the intended placement for such things like batteries,fuel tanks ect.. is were Derris designed them to be. Theres exceptions for every rule but those tend to be only when your setting up an Allison in a fashion that Darris never intended for his boats. You might want to ask the previous owner why he placed the Battery so forward?
Yeah Whip I agree totally, but the SS may be a little of an exception because the SS's have a factory installed option to front mount the battery... I can't remember if it was on all SS's, but and option on many indeed...

suicidealli

In any boat, it is all about ballance. With a battery in the front or back the boat will handle different with a 180lb driver than it will with a 220lb driver. The lighter the boat is the more critical the ballance. In my SSr if my son tried to lean to the side to look around me at anything over 90 the boat would take a nice lean and pull to that side to the point that I would have to make a correction. In the XR sometimes all you have to do is lean your head and or your body to one side or the other to make a correction. You just can't have a caned set up. If we could all of us would run the same.
i agree!!!!!!!!!!!! the ss is set up to run the battery in 3 places. the back left. the back left on the floor, and center in front of the driver. i ran it up on the shelf, and the trim motor on the other side to make a balanced set up. with the slide seat i would move around to rebalance it when i had a passenger.. it is a very weight sensative boat. if i was running a the edge "Yeah once and a while" if the the boat just needed a little bit, i would lean a little to bring right back...... the ss is awesome, but it demands respect, if you dont respect it, your going to turn it around!

IMO most allisons runs the best with any added weight as close to the transom as possible. except if you need to add some to one side for balance.
EXP if your racin and have to add 50LBS 95% of the allison racers is putting it next to the transom.

roy

john4utvols

People always thought I was joking, when I told them to place the 6 pack of beer between there legs in the middle. Jay I turned my head at 107 to check on my passenger for a second and she turned on me. Helmet saved my head from a hard impact with the side. Very sensitive boats and will kick your *** if you push them to far.

whipper

Yeah Whip I agree totally, but the SS may be a little of an exception because the SS's have a factory installed option to front mount the battery... I can't remember if it was on all SS's, but and option on many indeed...
Didn't know that. Good info. Just depends on the setup,model,driver weight ect.. then. Ive seen center mounted Batteries with CS I guess.
I like what Jay & Roy said about just leaning for a correction. I do that some times to with some props. Cirtain water,props,air,sun,clouds,moon not quite right and get the stern so out that just as little as a shift from the body straightens her out in the upper end. Gotta love these boats!!

Last edited:

allison8503

Alot of people have laughed at me when I told them at high speeds in my drag boat I will make a correction with how much I am leaning my head one way or the other but it works. At over 110 in my old bass boat when it would want to start leaning to the right I could keep the wheel where it was at and just move my left leg out a little more and she would lock in like she was on rails.

Lotus 50

The SS that John tiger tested for Trailer Boats had the battery in the front. Mine is only set up for the battery in the rear. And I've seen an SS wired for both locations.

propmanjay

The SS that John tiger tested for Trailer Boats had the battery in the front. Mine is only set up for the battery in the rear. And I've seen an SS wired for both locations.

Thats how it was when I bought the boat. Much better for me and my big azz with it mounted rear center.