Bass Pro Sport 1st run problems

fishnfireman

on the Allison board I searched under XB21.

Under HOLE SHOT PROBLEMS that you quoted, which was 4 pages long, it boiled down to prop /set up and landar stated it was fixed and he was sorry for venting but he was frustrated. Bias????
"it boiled down to prop /set up"

Did I miss something---------I thought that was WHY we were discusing/giving/receiving/helping--- to get these boats proped and setup.

Sorry if I offended anyone by telling these guys ----They are not alone , SOME of us have lived there problem and have done several things to help alleviate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishnfireman

The problem Mike is TOO much information is worse than no information.
Exactly !!!!!

That is why some of us have been so determined......To get the point across...
It is obvious to me just by reading the responses--- who have and who have not seen what these boats are doing. It's not that I know everything..But I do know what these guys are going thru.
I thank everyone for wanting to help..But if you don't know what they are going thru. If you have not witnessed it with your rig. Then trying to convince them it's not an issue or it's just a big boat or any of the other excusses I've seen is surley "TOO much information"

If you will take your rig and LOAD that pig up. you may be able to get it to do this on your own lake. I can guarandamtee that if you go uphill to at least 2000 ft elevation, with the prop you are running right now....put a true tournament load on..I ain't talking no Nancy boy load..A manly load-- full fuel, livewell full, spare prop, 3 batteries, full sized troll mtr. small tool box. two fat boys, all there food drink and fishing gear.. Do this then you can come back and tell me how you got a 3 second hole shot with a 28 pitch prop.

That pig will stick her nose WAY up in the air and may not come back down.

champ198

I run a 2+2 w/225 SportXS w/1.62 gears w/27 Hydromotive 4 blade. I have a CMC hyd plate. I always go fishing with practically a full tank of gas (about 25-30 gal) and oil - I never know where I'm gonna want to run.

With full livewells -or- three folks in the boat, the boat labors to break over. It's not a terrible or embarrasing hole shot, but it won't break your neck either. On the other hand, I can run 79.X easy with three folks and heavy load so it's a trade off.

RedAllison

John the 2 degree spacer that Darris uses on the 21 is barely a half inch thick at the top so it's not going to do anything noticable to affect the leverage of offset.

"To much information"? 28 replies on this thread by 2 people??? :confused:

RWA is in a 2+2 like myself. Luckily our boats don't have the seemingly more severe holeshot issues of the 2 seaters. The cures for them (2+2s amd 21 ProSport) are fairly known by now.

FFM is talking about what worked for him on his 21 ProSport while having "double trouble" that being one of severe altitude PLUS the 300XS and it's majority of exhaust venting over the cav plate issues.

I'll close by saying ditch the ProET, make sure you aren't running 1.75s (If I read thru this "chapter" correctly, by the numbers shown they appear to be in line with 1.62s), make sure you have the 2 degree wedges with a 8" or less offset and go with a big barrel/full hub prop. Obviously I'll recommend the Hmotive QIV-XOB but for those who still accuse me of being surgically attached to Mr. Thom and Todd then I would think a worked Bravo 1 would also produce better results (fully loaded) than ANY over hub. You'll have to play with the vents on the Hmotive as there will be 8 drilled in the hub. Start by closing off one rearmost vent at a time with the solid PVS discs. Mercboy175 and Pickwickangler can attest to the SORRY holeshot my 2+2 had in March at Lake Fork when all 3 of us were in the boat while running a stock 26" Trophy. I even had a blowout ring on it but instead of PVS discs it has the "large" sized vents drilled into the hub. Andy had to get up on the front deck before it would break over. :cuss I got back to the hotel and replaced that wheel chock with a stock 25" Tempest to fish the rest of the trip with.

TRY TRY TRY... That much is STILL in common with these 21s vs their smaller, faster brethren.

Hell some of you guys need to see a 105+ mph Stroker holeshot before you badmouth your 21s!!! :laughing:laughing
RA

Last edited:

whipper

Bigger boa,t heavier motor, live wells full of water at 8+ pounds per gallon= Lower pitch. If i try running my grand sport fully loaded with the 225PM my 28drag4 sucks out of the hole compared to my 25 trophy so I run the 25 trophy when i know I have a loaded boat full fuel for the day. With the weight of the 21 and the new motors like RED mentioned a 25 or 26 sounds like a better choice of pitch. If i were light loaded by myself a 27 sounds like the max pitch for decent running. I know even with my GS and 225PM this is the case also. I can run a 30 three blade but I stay light no more than 1 pass. In a 4 blade even I shouldn't run anything above 28. To me anyway it just sounds like to tall of pitch for the mass vs power ratio? Ill bet if ya threw on a 25or26 trophy or a messaged 25or26 from Todd at hydromotive your hole shot problems would disappear. You would still have a decent top end also. 76-80. nothing wrong with that for a fish en Cadillac!

fishnfireman

Bigger boa,t heavier motor, live wells full of water With the weight of the 21 and the new motors like RED mentioned a 25 or 26 sounds like a better choice of pitch. Ill bet if ya threw on a 25or26 trophy or a messaged 25or26 from Todd at hydromotive your hole shot problems would disappear. !
James,
Old red lovin buddy of mine, I believe you hit the nail on the head.with this comment !
“With the weight of the 21 and the new motors like RED mentioned a 25 or 26 sounds like a better choice of pitch.. In a 4 blade even I shouldn't run anything above 28. To me anyway it just sounds like to tall of pitch for the mass vs power ratio? Ill bet if ya threw on a 25or26 trophy or a messaged 25or26 from Todd at hydromotive your hole shot problems would disappear”

Sounds kinda familiar though…Here is a paste from my very first post..to walleyecomet
“I can almost guarante.. if you get a smaller pitch prop it will come out of the hole.. As far as being "undrivable" That to will come.. Even with a bad setup you will be able to drive it to mid 70's. I will send you a PM of things myself and a few others have found that should help your rig and the issues you are having.
Some of us know exactly what you speak of. :smile HHHuuumm !! :smile Two of the things I suggested to him in a PM...Were raise the mtr back up on the Jplate. so that even with pad is as high as it will go..But try running it at 1/2 below..and that a Allie cut Trophy 26 should cure his holeshot troubles !!

But then poor walleye gets hit with some of these. Once again I will cut and paste.
“My buddy has a new bas sport pro with a 225 and he runs a 28 Et and it comes up out of the hole with 2 men and a full tank of gas very nicely”
And this—
“If she doesnt get up and lay down in a boat length with a 28 something is wrong”
“There is absolutely no way a 21 needs someone to lay on the deck to get on plane”
“I dont even use the foil on mine and the hole shot is almost, not quite but almost as good as my '03”
“I am in south Fla and it is 93 degrees and 60-70 percent humid, not having those kind of issues getting out of the hole with 2 men and a load. Even with 30 ETs and choppers.
“Glenn Reynolds puts 28's on everyone he sells”
“My boat and the other 2 I know get up fine 225 / 250 / 300. loaded 2 men live wells and fuel”
“This shouldn't be rocket science at all in my opinion.”
“I can get up on step with FULL load including full livewells in about 1.5 boat lengths. I only have 5 hours though on my 250 XS”.

But that’s not helping walleye…How do you think that makes him feel ? While a few are telling him that-- under the right circumstances these rigs can be a finicky beotch. And trying to let him know he is not the ONLY one with hole shot problems. . Several 21 ft owners chimed in and said they had holeshot issues …Hell even jim admitte,d under some circumstances. I even found several more (well hiddin) quotes..
But still, some choose to ignore all this. And are willing to step up and take some heat, just so a new owner does not have to go thru the same learning curve.
I will appoligize to Walleye for having 14 dang posts on his thread..But if you will take the time and READ them. Ya might notice. That the first ones were giving him good suggestions on what to do and what has worked for some with the problem he is having..But all the rest were spent trying to prove to someone else. That yes walleyecomet--these hulls can be a booger and not EVERYONE can have a 1 boat length holeshot while spinning a 28 or 30 pitch prop. So come on back. If someone needs help and I know what the fix is...I'm yur Huckelberry :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

RobShaw-BasSport

Walleye, I have the same hull and the same motor only newer (2008 model).

My boat has a good hole shot and a top end of 92+ with 2 people and a full load.

I have the 2 degree wedge and the stock CMC hyd plate from the factory. 8.5" of total setback. I started off with 1.75 gears and have since installed 1.62 gears. I also have a gearcase modification performed by Robbie Patterson.

With the 1.75, that boat launched out of the hole with a 28 Quad IV X-OB. With the 1.62 gears, a different prop was needed so I had Robbie Patterson work his magic on a 27 Trophy and a Mazco RE-4. I no longer own the Hydromotive and for me, large tube props with welded on diffuser rings attributed to ill handling. (This is my second Allison by the way). I am however a huge fan of Hydromotive and talking to Todd on the phone is like talking to family.

My holeshot once suffered and it was because of bad spark plugs. During the break in period, your plugs can be fouled quite easily. Also, your motor requires a certain amount of time before she loosens up a bit and runs the way that Mother Merc meant her to run.

Dont give up on that rig just yet. Moving the batts back up front, running the right prop, having the plugs/coils looked at etc could make a world of difference.

I also wanted to add that this particular Allison model is the slowest hull that comes out of the factory. I hope you agree that it fishes exceptionally well, however youre just not going to get XB2003/2002 performance. I think that once I understood that myself, it made a huge difference to me. My prior Allison was a 100mph rocket and I initially expected the same out of this 21' model. I've owned Basscat Pumas, Champion 210 Elites, 21' Rangers, Stratos, Tritons, etc...this BasSport is special!

robert.shaw1@navy.mil

Last edited:

biller31

Well I'm can't get my XB21 2+2 250XS 1.62 to break over or get on plane for love nor money with more than one person in it. But I don't have any answers yet and I think I'm more confused now after reading this thread than I was before.

fishnfireman

Well I'm can't get my XB21 2+2 250XS 1.62 to break over or get on plane for love nor money with more than one person in it. But I don't have any answers yet and I think I'm more confused now after reading this thread than I was before.
Biller, At the risk of taking some more heat---if you will PM me with exactly what you have.
I will tell you what has and has not worked.
There are a lot of well meaning folks on here. That still don't know what the hell you are talking about. Along with some good but very wrong information.
I'm sure not saying I have all the answers .however we have made some major improvements..From what you just described "For love nor money" that's a good un. That pretty well sums it up

I need engine height....setback..props you have tried and a little info as to what results you had with each. elevation of the lake or lakes you frequent. If you have the wedges. along with any changes you have made if any and what the outcome of them were.
If you would like..give me a phone number and I will call you.

Regards MD "DOC" Kelley

landar

I'm too lazy right now to go back and see what prop you are running but I had problems as well until I put a 26 trophy on mine. It comes out of the hole pretty good now. I have 1.62 gears as well. I don't support the use of a large barrel prop on this hull as Rob mentioned above. Mine decided to go the wrong way once with the large barrel prop. Swimming in january sucked! Especially in an insulated snowsuit with almost broken legs. If you want decent holeshot and good all around performance get a trophy and plug the holes. If you can stand the sh?tty holeshot and want the best driving prop on Earth for this hull get you a Pro ET and enjoy. My new Pro et will be here tomorrow. I actually heard that somebody named JC could weld something around the exhaust tube of a sportmaster LU and make the over hub props take off. I might investigate.

Lance

RobShaw-BasSport

Biller, your confusion may rest with the fact that I and a few others were addressing the original poster that has a 2 seater and that's all I was speaking to. I have no experience with the 2+2 and would certainly not try to give you advice on something that I have no experience with.

landar

I will give a little update on mine. I put a 26" Pro ET on today and it flies out of the hole and runs mid-upper 80's in hot humid conditions. I couldn't stay in it long enough to get a true top speed because my dad was getting a little scared. The boat drives like its on rails with this prop! A 28 pro et was a 30 second holeshot and this 26 is a 2-3 second holeshot so size does matter. 5900 on top end. I just cant get over how great these props hold the boat though.

J

John Richied

Hey I found something to help you Trophy prop lovers with your holeshot….

Just being funny… that thing is SWEET! :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

fishnfireman

I will give a little update on mine. I put a 26" Pro ET on today and it flies out of the hole and runs mid-upper 80's in hot humid conditions. I couldn't stay in it long enough to get a true top speed because my dad was getting a little scared. The boat drives like its on rails with this prop! A 28 pro et was a 30 second holeshot and this 26 is a 2-3 second holeshot so size does matter. 5900 on top end. I just cant get over how great these props hold the boat though.
That's good to hear.
I'm like you-- I LOVE this ProET (except the price)
I have found them to be very weight sensative (just for holeshot) on these 21's..But I also think it's more the boat than just the prop. ALL things considered.
With the 28 ProET on my boat now....With just me and a regular load..The holeshot is unbelievable. It's like the whole boat just, picks up, and GOES..No bow raise to speak of.
Add another person and there gear,,,the nose comes up,,lays back over and away you go. But you fill the livewell with 2 men and a tournament load...The nose comes, up and up and then finaly starts to lay over. It still has awesome, I mean AWESOME pull all the way to 90+
I have one more trick up my sleve to try with the 28 and a full load...But it sounds like I need to add a 26 ProEt to the lineup. By the numbers it should still run 90 with a 26..
The most amazing thing to me about this ProEt, has been it's ability to run in rough water!!! Most overhubs will strt slipping when you need them to bite in bad seas..But not this one.

This 300XS likes the overhubs better than the other XS motors because of the exhast relief.
I also believe (after hearing this from others) the overhub prop is not near as prone to do something stupid when you reach triple digits with the skidplaner on these hulls. As a larger thru hubbed prop would be.

biller31

Good to hear FNF. I've re-read this thread and I think I have some new ideas. I called a few people and am gonna line up some test trials. RWA was right. I hadn't mentioned my holeshot troubles before because I hadn't put anything in the boat other than my fat body and some counter balance shot bags in the boat until this summer. Then I throw 4 people and the kitchen sink in it all of the sudden this summer, and I can' get on plane and go nowhere for like 25 seconds. I admit I've never owned one of these boats before so I don't know what to expect or how to account for all the variables I'm encountering. I should have specified that I'm talking about fixing my holeshot with a load in the boat. Which in the summer is almost always. I'm looking to be able to find a prop that will move this boat up on plane with everything and everyone in it. Also, I Love My Boat!!! and will never sell this boat. So don't mis-construe my questions. Just wanting to get another prop lined up for different loads. All help appreciated.