Bass Pro Sport 1st run problems

walleyecomet

I have a 2006 Bass pro sport elite with 250xs, sport master unit, 8" cmc hyd. lift, 28 pro ET lab. and the wedges. When we first took it out the boat would not get on plane at all with out my passenger climbing to the front of the boat.(with jack plate down and trim all down). The boat was undrivable over 60 mph. Day 2 I lowered engine mounting on plate about an inch (now steering cylinder fittings interfere with jack plate when engine is trim into trailering position). Took out for another run. Will get on plane but nothing quick. Still undrivable over 65-70. Any suggestions.

Last edited:

whipper

First Off Welcome to the Board! Trimming all down on the jack for me doesnt work very good. To much drag. Try motor all up then 1/4 inch down or just leave up. Trim can be down but I usually bump up three or four from tucked right in. I realize yours is the 21 and Red and others will help ya out more but im pretty sure with the leg way down deep isnt going to help ya get on plain any easier. Allisons like high engine hights. When your nearing 60mph your motor should be 1/2-1/4 inch below the pad no higher. As 65 aproches the driving will increase as you trim up. At 65 with your foot in her trim one bump at a time untill you feel the hull free up. This is were she should be. If your balanced well she will fly prety straght but you will still need to counter steer to avoid chine walking. If when hull is free at 65-70 and cant control this back off and try again and again. Some times it takes a while to get the hang of it. Did any one take you out in your Allison and drive her over 70mph with you in the boat yet? I ask because she will be a totaly diferant anamial than any other Bass boat you have driven. Were do ya live? Chances are your near another Allison owner that may be more helpfull that can meet ya at a lake. Thats the best way to figure things out. Dont bother lowering your motor any more. You need to be able to jack your motor to at least 1/2 inch below your pad to even. Chances are everything is OK! its just a matter of getting used to driveing her believe it or not.
Im not being a wise guy at all. I dont know much but I know Allisons and what you have described is quite common.
Has your hull been over 75-80mph with you in the boat?

Last edited:

walleyecomet

im not new to fast boats, i can get it to free up then it starts a dance i cant counter. Top speed was 78 gps just for a bit.

walleyecomet

The boat will not plane at all and I mean it will not break over forever if I don't have the jack plate all the way down and the motor bolted down were I have it now

redwingally

Well you have the 2 seater so this may or may not help. I have a 2+2 with 250XS I run a 28 performer HP3 with the plate even with the pad and she is up in a boat length. Your batteries are up front and there has been some discussion on here about moving them to the back but I am not sure about that being a cure for your problem. My buddy has a new bas sport pro with a 225 and he runs a 28 Et and it comes up out of the hole with 2 men and a full tank of gas very nicely. He felt his was undrivable also. Here is the thing, an Allison is not like any other fast boat you have driven, it is much easier. Raise the motor to even with the pad, tuck it in a bury the throttle. If she doesnt get up and lay down in a boat length with a 28 something is wrong somewhere. The best lesson for driving them fast is get up on plane bump the trim till she levels out and keep the throttle buried. Let her build and bump the trim again and she will start to lift. Let her build, bump it again and so on and so on. They do not like a lot of trim and they definately do not like a lot of trim quickly. I almost never raise the motor when I am running, I find they like to run even or slightly above the pad. If she is all over the place I am willing to bet it is as simple as too much trim to soon.

There is absolutely no way a 21 needs someone to lay on the deck to get on plane when the motor is correct and you are running a normal size wheel.

The guys with the 2 seater will chime in here soon enough and I know they are different from the pro sport and the 2+2 but the hulls are exactly the same. I dont even use the foil on mine and the hole shot is almost, not quite but almost as good as my '03.

landar

I can't turn a 28 Pro et on my Bassport pro with 250XS. I run a 26 trophy and that has solved my holeshot problems. It doesn't come over in a boat length though. Not once it is loaded down with gas, two fat guys, and equipment. With just me in it it shoots out of the hole. I did move my batteries to the back though which gives better top end but slows down the holeshot. I think your motor is way to low if it is walking that bad. Get some advice from a good dealer. My dealer (C and O) had my boat setup pretty darned good and I have monkeyed around with it and spent a lot of money and haven't really accomplished much. They are hard to drive until you get used to them.

Lance

fishnfireman

I have a 2006 Bass pro sport elite with 250xs, sport master unit, 8" cmc hyd. lift, 28 pro ET lab. and the wedges. When we first took it out the boat would not get on plane at all with out my passenger climbing to the front of the boat.(with jack plate down and trim all down). The boat was undrivable over 60 mph. Day 2 I lowered engine mounting on plate about an inch (now steering cylinder fittings interfere with jack plate when engine is trim into trailering position). Took out for another run. Will get on plane but nothing quick. Still undrivable over 65-70. Any suggestions.
First off I am not sure which model we are talking about. It depends on where you put the "pro" at, as to which model you have
Is it the 21 ProSport---single windshield ?
Or the BasSport pro---double windshields?

For some reason these boats can be real tricky to get out of the hole.
You can tell this by the number of guys who have had mortal he!! --Vs those who have had no problems. They don't fully understand what you are talking about. Once you witness first hand as you are describing...there is no doubt. There are several things that contribute to the bad holeshot on these hulls. But the 2 worst are weight and elevation.
With that said... if you never get to that "point" where the boat just will not lay over...Then you are lucky or you have a small pitch prop...I can almost guarante.. if you get a smaller pitch prop it will come out of the hole.. As far as being "undrivable" That to will come.. Even with a bad setup you will be able to drive it to mid 70's.

I will send you a PM of things myself and a few others have found that should help your rig and the issues you are having.

Some of us know exactly what you speak of. :smile

redwingally

just talked to Charlie and he said the boat is very violent at high speed IF you have the plate down too low. It likes the to be set at 1/2" below to even with the pad. If the fittings are interfering with the jack plate in trailer position that is too low, set it at half below and leave it alone until you get use to it. Remember you do not have to force this boat up with trim like some of the other fast bass boats. She lifts by design. Bump the trim a pinch at a time, then one day sooner then you think you will be running along and hit that trim one bump and it will be like an express elevator going up. She is gonna get up on that pad and lock in like she is on a rail, then it is going to feel like a truck ran into the back of you and take off. You wil be able to steer it with one finger and you will be hooked. Just never dump the throttle at high speed under any circumstances, unless you want to go the other way real quick. Good luck! Also Charlie is running a 4 blade 28 ET with a 225. He said when the plate was too low it was an absolutely terrible experience.

fishnfireman

just talked to Charlie and he said the boat is very violent at high speed IF you have the plate down too low. It likes the to be set at 1/2" below to even with the pad. If the fittings are interfering with the jack plate in trailer position that is too low, set it at half below and leave it alone until you get use to it. .
Very good advise --1/2 inch below should be just about right for now. However that will not help your issues with getting on plane.

Plus I don't think you are anywhere neer the speeds (yet) that Charlie is talking about.

redwingally

Charlie is in Nashville Tenn is a 68 year old man and 70 is fast to him. That is the kind of speed Charlie is talking about. I am in south Fla and it is 93 degrees and 60-70 percent humid, not having those kind of issues getting out of the hole with 2 men and a load. Even with 30 ETs and choppers. The humidity here robs you of power but not enough to have to lay on a deck.

fishnfireman

Charlie is in Nashville Tenn is a 68 year old man and 70 is fast to him. That is the kind of speed Charlie is talking about. I am in south Fla and it is 93 degrees and 60-70 percent humid, not having those kind of issues getting out of the hole with 2 men and a load. Even with 30 ETs and choppers. The humidity here robs you of power but not enough to have to lay on a deck.
70 is fast to Charlie....Thats funny....I thought it was your buddy who is pushing a 100..
Just to give you an idea. of what weight and elevation does to these rigs.
I have a buddy here who has a 250XS on a 21 ProSport who dropped all the way down to a 25 Alli cut Trophy to get his out of the hole with a "true" tournament load.

Before I started making changes to mine. Try running anything bigger than a 26...and It would take forever to lay over. I would have been afraid to try a 30 pitch..I doubt it would have planed out with a full load.

Even with the changes I have made...You load it heavy with the 28 Proet and it does pretty good...until you fill the livewell

DaveW

Not saying it's the case, but when mine was very hard to plane and I lost a ton of speed and revs I had a bad plug lead.

Next time it did it I'd fouled two plugs - couldn't plane at all!

What threw me was it would rev it's a$$ off in neutral.

redwingally

No sorry Mike, Danny has the Pro Sport and Charlie has a Bass Sport Pro. I have a 2+2.

I dont know the elevation in Nashville but I think it is in the mountain area of Tenn. I think I may look at the plugs myself. I just cant imagine a salesman taking a customer out in one if this was a typical problem. How many could you sell if you asked the customer to lay on the deck until you get up on plane?. Glenn Reynolds puts 28's on everyone he sells and he is about 40 miles from Nashville so I would lean toward an engine / set up problem. I know that for sure if you bury the motor they are horrible to drive.

fishnfireman

So your saying that this boat (walleycomet) is in the Nashville area.?

No.. I doubt anyone will be proping one (on purpose) for test rides that ya have to lay down on the front deck to get it to plane out. But trust me It would not be the first time. A lot of them don't stay in the same area when they are sold either.
There is always a chance for a mtr problem..My money says it's not.. Because I have seen to many of these 21's with the same issues. They plane out and run fine for the dealer. Then the buyer takes them home to a higher elevation. and adds all of his fishing gear...fills the gas tank and the livewell .then Dang what is wrong with this pig. Believe it or not depending on which gears it has..The 225's are getting out of the hole better on the big hull than the 250/300 ..
Like I said, if you have not seen it your having a hard time believing.

If I remeber right you mentioned knowing .. Key......Give him a call and ask him how close he came to getting some boats BACK.. I dang near did not buy a 300XS because of the hole shot issues they were having. I figured if Puckett could not get it going we were in trouble. They ran fine in Dallas..but you go up 1500 feet and it's OMG

redwingally

I dont know where Wallycomets boat is at. My boat and the other 2 I know get up fine 225 / 250 / 300. loaded 2 men live wells and fuel. Key, Glenn, Lee all those dealers are nice people and are willing to help you out (wallycomet) so give them a call.

ALLISONMAN

what dealer did you buy the boat from!!!! I would take it back and have them fix it and give you instructions on driving and other little helpful hints to make you allison experience a good one!! if you dont want to post it here on the board give darris and nancy a call and let them know how you got your boat and from what dealer as they expect better out of their dealers than to send out a half-arsed boat!! But i promise you get the boat propped right, set-up right and with some seat time and you will be completely happy with this boat!!!!

fishnfireman

I dont know where Wallycomets boat is at. My boat and the other 2 I know get up fine 225 / 250 / 300. loaded 2 men live wells and fuel. Key, Glenn, Lee all those dealers are nice people and are willing to help you out (wallycomet) so give them a call.
I am not trying to come off as a smart *** here.....But yall are missing the point.
These boats are new enough that this issue has still not been a problem for all of the dealers yet.........for some it may NEVER surface. So lets don't be quick to point a finger...It only becomes a problem when certain factors come into play. The last time I talked to Lee he had not witnessed it. Darris was the same way except he has talked to a few dealers who have. The first time a talked to Darris about this. He was like HUH whatchew talkin bout boy. But as time went on and more of these boats got out, it became appearent. Key might have been the first one to have issues with a boat that went to lubbock. It ran FINE at Dallas but when the new owner took it uphill ,it would not come out of the hole.
Walleycomet is about the 8th person to come on here or other boards, that I know of with this same deal.
What gets me is----- it's the same battle some of us have fought since they started using internal combuston engines..they WILL NOT run the same at alltitude..and or with a HEAVY load....These guys are buying a boat and expecting it to perform the same everywhere.
For some reason these hulls are very sensative.. there is a definate line. they come out of the hole good until you cross that line..then it's dauumm.
The bottom line is your gona have to prop down. or change gears.
We are starting to learn some tricks to help.
When I first got my 300Xs It would NOT get on plane with a true tournament load period. with anything bigger than a 26..
Right now I have it jumping out with a 28 until you fill the livewell. then it's a little slow but tolerable.

walleyecomet

Just some clarifications, It is the XB-21 Bass Sport Pro (two seater) dual counsel. I bought the haul used and had the new 250 xs set up at Jaco. I run on Bull Shoals Lake 690 ft. above sea level