Bad advise

suicidealli

Craig when you buy a new 280 the ecu is programmed for a breaking period. It will only rev so high til you get so many hours on it. Also so much time at so many rpms. After the ecu is past the breaking time, it will turn you loose...

Roy

Alli-drenaline Rush

Craig when you buy a new 280 the ecu is programmed for a breaking period. It will only rev so high til you get so many hours on it. Also so much time at so many rpms. After the ecu is past the breaking time, it will turn you loose...
Roy
Every which way but loose????

Allyfishing

that's pretty cool that it is built into the ECU. Very ingenious by Merc. Thanks for explaining that.

Is that the same thing with the new 3 liters like the 250XS's that guys are running on the XB21's also?? I've read where they have to have the engine tucked in for so many RPM's etc. etc. til break-in is over??

whipper

To bad guys dont join forums like this and some others. You guys and most of us on hear if ya post a Q your going to get a straight RIGHT answer. Most of the time:big grin Great info. I always run 40-1 also no oil trouble with 225PM. If I know im going to a real big lake with extended WOT runs or so Ill dump an extra shot in for good measure. When I do that some times when I go back to more normal running on our smaller lakes, remembering that I did that and Ill over a couple tanks take back that shot in half each fill. Providing there was over a 1/4 tank left at the start of the fill. That way on the third one I should be sorta close to getting the mix back the 40-1 again. No science or exact. Just a shot for the big day then what I figured half of that was a couple times. I never really run empty so I just ween her back slow till it seems right.
I guess the best way to get the ratio back is to run her down real low. That way ya just go back to what ever your running for mix. Should be pretty diluted when low. A little more oil never really hurnt much compared to not enough is always in my mind.

Last edited:

suicidealli

Yeah!!!" to much will foul plugs, not enough will kill pistons.... Pretty easy choice.
We spend thousands of dollars rebuilding these motors, and thousands in parts... It kills me to read where I guy wants to run cheap gas, and cheap oil in one... I just don't get it!!!!!!!

Roy

hemi2005

I believe that if your going own a high performance engine, you might as well run premium fuel (93) and a quality oil all the time.

How much Seafoam? Is it bad to get started with it this late in the game? I'd hate to loosen something up and get it caught in an injector.

catfish123

I have been using Seafoam on a regular basis at about half their recommended amount. I use about 1/2 ounce of it per gallon of gas. I can't tell you however for sure that it may cause something now since you would be starting it "late" but I wouldn't think it would.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe that if your going own a high performance engine, you might as well run premium fuel (93) and a quality oil all the time.

How much Seafoam? Is it bad to get started with it this late in the game? I'd hate to loosen something up and get it caught in an injector.
I'm not so sure I believe as much in seafoam anymore. I'm sure it can't hurt, but I've seen injectors sent to Brucato from engines that have always run seafoam and engines never having run seafoam, and they were both the same. All outta whack. I don't think it can hurt to run it full dose once in a while tho.

catfish123

Tony and Linda both always used to recommend the use of Seafoam and indicated they could tell a big difference in the injectors where it had been used. Maybe they don't recommend it anymore? I guess also that maybe things other than fuel additives have a lot to do with the condition of injectors.

Last edited:

ziemer

Amsoil 100:1... :beer: 450 hours on the old girl and she'still going like mad! Love my 260...

He he...
I love oil threads.

suicidealli

I ran 100 to 1 in a old 2.4 chrome bore for years, but it never spun over 6600. It was also a little fat too.. 40 to 1 is lean enough for me in a nic motor... I cant say it would increase any power or not running leaner.. I know guys who run 50 to 1 and turn up 10,500, they don't get much use. 6-8 weekends a year.... A race season. Then rebuild!!!

Roy

aaronmt

I'm not so sure I believe as much in seafoam anymore. I'm sure it can't hurt, but I've seen injectors sent to Brucato from engines that have always run seafoam and engines never having run seafoam, and they were both the same. All outta whack. I don't think it can hurt to run it full dose once in a while tho.

Ive had alot of luck with Seafoam myself and run it in almost everyhing we have.The motor your talking about I believe had some issues to start with,that were not noticed some how for a long time.I wouldnt imagine the seafoam hurt it all.Sounds like after a few months of sorting thing's out you boys got her running how it should.