Anyone run a 175 carb on a 2002?

Flipper

If so, did you find it underpowered?

Last edited:

bullwhipjkg

i run a 2.5 150 efi on my 2002 for bout 2 yrs without a power issue even when loaded with 4-5 people

F2008

Yup, I did run a 150 the 175 carbed motor on my 02.

Started out with a '97 150 OMC (Intruder) Titus coned lower. Melted a piston and replaced it with a 175 powerhead.

With the 150 and a 27 Trophy my best top end was 78 mph and it had an INCREDIBLE hole shot. I never got to string out the 175 before I replaced it with a 225 ProMax.

Did I think it was underpowered? Not at all, especially when I was coming from a 16' 8" Stratos with a 115.

Now? ........with the promax I cruise at 78.

Darth VMAX

I almost hung a 91' Johnson GT175 on my XB2002 at one point. I was coming out of a 2.4 Carb 200 Mercury. I wasn't worried about it being underpowered (it would have been ok for the type of runnin I do) but I ended up with a 200 Carb 2.6L Yamaha.

suicidealli

It will work fine, but not going to break any records. I ran a 2.4 carb motor as a back up motor on my old ss years ago. It would run 90. You should run low 80 to mid 80's if it is healthy, and set up right..... It will be ok on gas if you hold the speed, and rpms down. If you wot all the time to run in the 80's you will go through some fuel.jmo

Roy

SSTOM

A good friend had a 2.5 EFI 150 on a 2002 with a bobs lwp it would run 92.4 on gps then he put a 260 on it and it ran 94.2 lol. Tom

22R

A good friend had a 2.5 EFI 150 on a 2002 with a bobs lwp it would run 92.4 on gps then he put a 260 on it and it ran 94.2 lol. Tom
Maybe he had an overachieving 150 or a sickly 260 ????

22R

Flipper

Thanks for the replies. It's a totally stock '98 Johnson Faststrike 175 on a '97 XB2002. I'm on the fence but have to decide in the next day or so.

F2008

With a stock lower I think you may find it disappointing. Budget some additional dollars to have a low water pick up installed.

That motor (175 Fastrike) has a 4500 - 5500 recommended full throttle operating range and 1.86 lower unit gears., same as the 150 Intruder I had, albeit 25 less hp.

.......and let me correct myself, (with the 150) I ran 78.6 mph with a Hydromotive 28 QIVO/T and I was running the motor level or a touch above the pad and I was turning it at 5850 - 5900 rpms. The best I got out of the Trophy was 77.x and the motor was screaming! .....closer to 6k.

Maybe that's why all it's good for now is an anchor.

If you cone the lower, then there's the OMC lower unit longevity to consider if you're going to run it high and ragged a lot.

Darth VMAX

If one is looking for a 150 to 175 for an Allison, those Eagle 2.6L OMC's are a great match. They are strong, compact and LIGHT! Lighter than a 2.5L Mercury. For a carb motor they have very good running qualities. They are great stock but tough to get much HP out of them. If I remember right about 215hp is about the max they can be built to make. Like has been mentioned, your not going to set any seed records, but there is more than enough to still whip the majority of basser out there!

you will HAVE to cone/lwp the lower and makesure the bearing carrier is pinned. Good to go!

Last edited:

Flipper

Thanks again to all for your wisdom. I'm going to pass on the combination and keep looking.

Jus' Giv'r

Thanks again to all for your wisdom. I'm going to pass on the combination and keep looking.
Hey Flip,
Is that the one around Lindsay? I just saw that today. What's the Hull and Interior like?
Gary
PS. Where are you located?

Flipper

Hey Gary, I'm just west of Ottawa. You?
Boat is in Bobcaygeon. I saw it on Kijiji. I didn't go look but asked for pictures. One back seat is a bit chewed on a corner but useable and there is a small chip in the white gelcoat at the bottom of the transom. The other seats and carpet look perfect in the shots. Looks like a nice boat and Paul is a straight talker. Says all the gauges work and has hydraulic steering.
I thought it might make for a nice starter Allison for me but I can't feel comfortable with the motor. Those Fast Strikes have a great reputation but it would need too many mods for me to get the most out of the boat. I'll keep looking. They're scarce in Ontario though.
Here's a link to his ad on his website:
http://rodandbow.com/used.html

Darth VMAX

I thought it might make for a nice starter Allison for me but I can't feel comfortable with the motor. Those Fast Strikes have a great reputation but it would need too many mods for me to get the most out of the boat. http://rodandbow.com/used.html
Are you referring to the lower-unit mods or are you wanting more than 175 hp?

The lower-unit mods are pretty much standard for any lower-unit (minus pinning the carrier which isnt very involved) other than a Sportmaster, and a lot of owners with Sportys even modify those.

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Gary, I'm just west of Ottawa. You?
Boat is in Bobcaygeon. I saw it on Kijiji. I didn't go look but asked for pictures. One back seat is a bit chewed on a corner but useable and there is a small chip in the white gelcoat at the bottom of the transom. The other seats and carpet look perfect in the shots. Looks like a nice boat and Paul is a straight talker. Says all the gauges work and has hydraulic steering.
I thought it might make for a nice starter Allison for me but I can't feel comfortable with the motor. Those Fast Strikes have a great reputation but it would need too many mods for me to get the most out of the boat. I'll keep looking. They're scarce in Ontario though.
Here's a link to his ad on his website:
http://rodandbow.com/used.html
Thats the old Bobcaygeon Marine location and only about 25 minutes from me. I'm off today so I might take a trip over and check it out.
He also said he spent $9000 rebuilding the 175 Fast Strike...? WOW! But, at least the place he quoted that rebuilt it, is very reputable!

Flipper

Are you referring to the lower-unit mods or are you wanting more than 175 hp?

The lower-unit mods are pretty much standard for any lower-unit (minus pinning the carrier which isnt very involved) other than a Sportmaster, and a lot of owners with Sportys even modify those.
It's mostly the lower unit mods. I'm worried I'd blow it up like the previous owner did. The engine only has an RPM range of 4500 to 5500. This will be my first high performance boat so I am far from an expert on this. The cost of gas concerns me too.

Flipper

Thats the old Bobcaygeon Marine location and only about 25 minutes from me. I'm off today so I might take a trip over and check it out.
He also said he spent $9000 rebuilding the 175 Fast Strike...? WOW! But, at least the place he quoted that rebuilt it, is very reputable!
Please let me know if you look at it. I'd value the opinion of an Allison owner. Are you looking for another Allison?

Jus' Giv'r

Please let me know if you look at it. I'd value the opinion of an Allison owner. Are you looking for another Allison?
I'm not shopping for another A boat, but if I was, it would be a XB2002. It would be a sweet ride with my 280 hanging on the back. Did he say what XB2002 model it is?

Flipper

I'm not shopping for another A boat, but if I was, it would be a XB2002. It would be a sweet ride with my 280 hanging on the back. Did he say what XB2002 model it is?
No, didn't say but it's the small centre console version.