Anybody???

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I got my hands on a really nice Jaco's edition ET in 30 pitch. It has been re-pitched to 31. With me and half a tank of gas loaded with everything I own in the boat. I could only turn it 5600 RPM. That was only 87 mph. Although I don't have a long enough straight away to see if the MPH keep climbing. I am assuming they will. Just to refresh everyone I put a 225 Pro XS on my 2003 with a 1.62 geared sportmaster lower. I took the 13.5 inches of set back off and went to 5.5 inches of set back. Right now I am 1/4 below the pad. If I raise to even will I pick up 200 RPM? I spoke at length with someone on the phone that's running a 250 Pro XS on there 2003. He claimed the added weight of the Pro XS allowed higher than normal engine heights. Said he was running 9 inches of set back and 1/4 above and claimed some pretty impressive speeds. I don't want get out there and hurt myself because the motor is to high and she blows out and bat turns on me. Looking for opinions of more experienced Ally guys out there.

patches

I'm not super familiar with the Pro XS but a 31 pitch prop sounds like a lot for a 1.62 geared 225 on anything more than a drag boat. I'm assuming you've ran a 28? Heavier motors do allow slightly higher heights. If it were mine I'd go up an 1/8 at a time till it started driving bad. That's the only way to find the right height

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Yes. I can spin a Drag IV 28 with tip cup added to 6050 RPMs. Figured I would have no problem turning a 30-31 3 blade that high.

whipper

i wouldn't think even is to high. but I would be checking it twice. The theory behind running the motor higher with more weight back there must be because of the extra submersion of the stern with the heavier motor? Regardless once your running over 80 and on the pad and the gearcase is half in half out all becomes equal as far as buoyancy 2.5 or 3.0lt. I do know that an ET is a prop that does require higher transom heights to work properly. They are though still a semi surfacing prop compared to a Cleaver but as surfacing a semi surface prop as you can almost get. If that makes sense. haha I personalty dont like ET,s because I feel they work better on higher reving motors. If you try even just keep an eye on the Tach and GPS points of a mph. Go slow on the bumps. Let each one play out and the time you bump and there is no point of a mph and or your rpm went up but no speed your done. Back down slow and thats your speed to hit again or 1 or 2 mph less to be safe. I knew a guy with a 300xs on a XB2003 and he loved the drag3 on his setup. They have a little more blade area to work with and can be run 1/4 below no problem. I gain an easy 200+ rpm from the drag4 to a drag3 in the same pitch. The 30 -31 TXP-OT4 some guys are running with 250xs motors on the Tuff 21 with good results. At a similar weight per hull and motor with a pad might be worth a try also? Todd might have a prop to try also. I would think a 30 T4X would be sick on your setup!!
ET the higher ya go the faster they get. I know the guys with 260,s love them on lighter hulls. Didnt work for my GS worth beans with a 225. My ET was new stock 28. Ive heard many say they need to be worked for your particular setup. Like the old saying goes ya cant try to many props.:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

whipper

BTW your at 14% slip with that speed and rpm for a 31 pitch prop. Those numbers will improve drastically the more you raise an ET. There meant to have the tips in the water.

ally2dextreme

Keep in mind you have much less setback than most everyone, that means your even is higher out of the water than their even,be carefull