Anybody have an XB-2003 but really wants an XTB-21?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondering...prolly a silly question as the 2003's seem to get snatched up pretty quick. I like my XTB-21, but it's definitely not a cold weather boat...or even cool weather boat at that...the passenger has to sit in the wide open with no wind protection, and sometimes, it's just not that fun boatin by yourself if you're not fishin. Anyway, I'm liking what I see of the XB-2003's and think that will be my next boat. Just throwin this on the table. Have a good one!

Brian

bigtis

that is the exact thing that is keeping me from a xtb.. maybe during the summer I might get one, but the xb2003 console just works wonders during the cold.

BELIEVE it or not, we went redfishing bout 4-5 weeks ago, and it was cold and windy but SUNNY. whenever we were trolling and fishing, we had our coats on. when we would get behind the console and cruise to the next spot, we'd take our coats off during the ride, because the sun would hit your back, and no wind hits you so we'd get hot. the windsheild on the xb2003 is very, very effective.

ARLIN

The point about wind protection is well taken, but as Darris commented to me several years ago "I have wished a thousand times that I (he Darris) had built the XB-2003 and Grand Sport on the 21' hull". As the owner of a 1989 XTB that I bought new in 1991, I know without a doubt the 21' hull is much more suitable for my location now due to the increased cruiser traffic on Fort Loudoun and Watts Bar. After going from an old 16" Bomber with an 80hp Mercury to the 21 XTB, I thought I had bought a battleship--now the 21' XTB seems like the provertial bathtub out there on the weekends. And, of course in the last few years the weight factor of the larger Optimax and 4-stroke engines make the 21' a hindsight right choice.

If the cruiser traffic and big water were/are not issues, then the 20' hull of the XB-2003 and Grand Sport was/is a good choice. A 150-175 hp Mercury/Mariner in stock setup will push the 20' hull 2-3+ mph faster than the 21 XTB and probably give a bit better fuel mileage. And cost--in 1991 when I bought my 21 XTB, Mueche Marine in Kingston, Tennessee had a beautiful new white and red Grand Sport and trailer at the closeout price of $10,400. Add say $8,000-10,000 for a new 150-175 Mercury and some rigging and you had a sweet, good wind protection, mid 70s mph Allison.

In summation, nearly all products and equipment on the market have design choices to consider--on Fort Loudoun on the summer weekends these days when all the ever larger crusiers are out, I'll trade the 21' hull for the 20' and its much better wind protection every time.

bigtis

The point about wind protection is well taken, but as Darris commented to me several years ago "I have wished a thousand times that I (he Darris) had built the XB-2003 and Grand Sport on the 21' hull". As the owner of a 1989 XTB that I bought new in 1991, I know without a doubt the 21' hull is much more suitable for my location now due to the increased cruiser traffic on Fort Loudoun and Watts Bar. After going from an old 16" Bomber with an 80hp Mercury to the 21 XTB, I thought I had bought a battleship--now the 21' XTB seems like the provertial bathtub out there on the weekends. And, of course in the last few years the weight factor of the larger Optimax and 4-stroke engines make the 21' a hindsight right choice.

If the cruiser traffic and big water were/are not issues, then the 20' hull of the XB-2003 and Grand Sport was/is a good choice. A 150-175 hp Mercury/Mariner in stock setup will push the 20' hull 2-3+ mph faster than the 21 XTB and probably give a bit better fuel mileage. And cost--in 1991 when I bought my 21 XTB, Mueche Marine in Kingston, Tennessee had a beautiful new white and red Grand Sport and trailer at the closeout price of $10,400. Add say $8,000-10,000 for a new 150-175 Mercury and some rigging and you had a sweet, good wind protection, mid 70s mph Allison.

In summation, nearly all products and equipment on the market have design choices to consider--on Fort Loudoun on the summer weekends these days when all the ever larger crusiers are out, I'll trade the 21' hull for the 20' and its much better wind protection every time.
have you been in the 20ft'ers much.....? I only ask so that I can get an experienced opinion from someone who's been in both. I want to know how much better the xtb takes waves???

ARLIN

I have been in the 20' some, but will defer to Darris and others.

But first hand I have been able to drive my XTB WOT in an unbelievable amount of chop and wind. Darris has always said that you are not likely to ever see an Allison blow over, but "could trim one over". If it is ONLY chop, keep keep the nose up some for safety and keep pouring it on in a stock setup in an XTB. In extreme chop I can spot other brands of boats 50-75 hp and still pull away with my stock 150.

And, the XTB will simply step right over the wake of small to medium boats. I've had passengers not familar with Allison to flinch for impact only to have almost no bounce at all as we crossed. Just learn to "read" the size of the boat and the wake.

But it's an entirely different story when you have cruiser, barge, or other large and/or slow moving wakes--even with the larger pad and more length of the 21 XTB you have to be careful and adjust. When the water is scooped out, or a wall of water is headed your way it's best to circle around, etc. The high speed of an Allison boat is very handy on large lakes with cruiser traffic as you just simply make a wide turn and keep running.
Again learn to "read" the size and speed (and double check your read) of the larger traffic for safety.

One of the worst times was when I rounded a bend and came upon a wake from a slow moving 16-17' alumimum fishing boat that had already cleared the scene. There was no boat, no white water, no hint of what was headed my way. Just square her up and wish your drivers seat was a little deeper. Ha!

..that's about it from here..

RedAllison

I guess it wouldn't make any money after time and tooling a new topcap, but we've often thought a dual console, raised deck XTB that was kept lower/medium priced would sell like absolute hotcakes! :beer: Maybe push the driver and passenger seats back halfway between where they are now so as to balance the load longitude wise and would make it a regular 2 seater. But the ol XTB is STILL one hell of a hull and is like everything else Darris has ever built, LIGHTYEARS ahead of the next closest competitor.

The XB21 line DOES rememdy any rough water concerns, they are just incredible in BIG water like yacht/crusier/barge wakes. But at 1400#s and $60k+ I realize it's not in danger of satisfying the true speed addict nor an option for the budgeted consumer. I guess maybe after another 10 years there might be a steady supply of used XB21s on the market so more folks will be able to buy them. But with no more than are built each year and from what I've seen, most XB21 owners like myself don't look to replace the boats in the next 20 years if EVER! Might not ever be enough around to create a lower/bargain price on the used market.

If someone liked to itch and enjoyed fiberglass work I always thought it would be fun to buy an ol salvage XTB hull and actually raise the front deck as well as add a passenger side console. With any new A-boat costing $40k-$60k+ "water ready" I'da thought enough incentive was there to have already seen such a creation.

:beer: :gone fishing
RA

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it wouldn't make any money after time and tooling a new topcap, but we've often thought a dual console, raised deck XTB that was kept lower/medium priced would sell like absolute hotcakes! :beer: :beer: :gone fishing
RA
Absolutely! The ride of this boat is amazing! I've hit some good rollers and wind waves out on the puget sound and it's just so smooth. Even launching off of 1-2' rollers at 30 mph, I know the boat came out of the water a few times, but always landed smooth as silk, passengers didn't even realize what we were really running in until we stopped and started rockin and getting splashed, lol! I'd love to have a different console setup on this boat, then I'd have no reason to think of another.

Brian

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just another bump. My Hydrostream is gone, and hopefully I'll get to ride in an XB-003 or 2 at the WAR, so I'll be seeing if that is really the boat I want. I had a buddy's daughter out in the boat with us a couple weeks ago (6yo) and even sitting behind me at 25mph she didn't like the wind...mine might be for sale in a few weeks with no motor...

aaronmt

Havein driven both the xtb 21 as well as my Grandport. The 21 is alot more forgiving I guess id say. The 20 ft will no doubt take on WAY bigger water then you would ever think so as well. I think the water the 20 ft is capable of compared to the 21 is the same personaly. The difference is very slight in my oppinion.I do think the 21's bow will come ove down come quicker when takein off.Although I have found the flotation balls on my 20 as well as the ally foil have evened that out now.Aaron

Last edited: