Any Other GT/SS-20 Owners Out There?

Freebird

It's been over 25 years since I sold my first SS20, and I know there have been lots of changes in prop technology etc. since then. I just bought another one with a stock '79 Merc 175 that's bolted directly to the transom and spinning an aluminum prop. That's obviously not going to work, so what's the best setup for this boat these days?

Freebird

Dammitt!!! Why'd you have to go and show me that?!!! :big grin

That is one sweet looking boat! I basically just scanned over the photos but didn't see any details about your setup other than props you mentioned. What setback plate are you running?

Oh yeah, if you ever wanna sell that thing, let me know.

DOUBLE J

Running a Allison setback plate(6") with a Land and Sea Hyd. Jack.(5 1/2"). Best w/ a stock 200XRI and Sporty lower is 87 on gps with the windshield on.

Freebird

Running a Allison setback plate(6") with a Land and Sea Hyd. Jack.(5 1/2"). Best w/ a stock 200XRI and Sporty lower is 87 on gps with the windshield on.
Thanks. I had remembered my first one on a 6" setback plate, and it was rigged at Allison. Have you compared speeds without the windshield? They do a heck of a job, but I've wondered if they might hurt top end a little bit.

rmills280

seen this boat yesterday she looks nice. we had about 10 allisons show up at the island and hand out all day.

Freebird

Thanks. It was a fun trip up to Gizmo even though those duck troopers kept giving us the evil eye. :big grin

Freebird

Saw it out there yesterday, looked good!
Thanks! Good talking to you. I never realized how many of you boys were local. Picked up a 225 Pro Max for the old gal today and can't wait to get it bolted on. Might have a little something for you guys next time, especially in rough water.

Here's another setup question... CLE (four hole pickup) or Bob's? I'll have a choice of which one I want.

Freebird

Removed the old 175 yesterday and hung the 225 Pro Max today. Hoping to splash her tomorrow and see how she flies. Larry Oran is rigging it for me and built my CLE.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll keep an eye out for you, gonna put in at caney creek and head down toward thiefneck tomorrow afternoon.

Freebird

Ran it for the last time with the 175 on Tellico this past Monday and about beat my brains out! I used to hate jetskis but wakeboard boats are my new favorites to hate. :big grin

Hope to see you around tomorrow or maybe this weekend.

Freebird

Anybody know of anybody running a Pro Max on a SS or GT20? Just curious about setup and speeds they're getting. Thought it might save some trial and error with props and motor height.

DOUBLE J

Running a 200XRI w/ Sportsmaster lower. Setback is 11 inches (6" setback and 5 1/2'' hyd. jack). Run quite a bit above pad (probably over a inch over). Favorite prop is Lightning ET 28. Runs around 85 w/ one and 80 w/2 people. Hope this helps.

Freebird

Got everything rigged today with the new Pro Max, and while the motor runs great, my boat hates it. I've never had an Allison porpoise on me at speed (this is my 5th), but this one gets uncontrollable around 55 or so. Boat ran fine at that speed with the old 175 I just pulled, so I'm at a loss. Old engine was mounted straight to the transom, and the Pro Max is on a six in jackplate and running about 1/2" below the pad. Started an 1 1/2" below, but raising it didn't change anything. Ran a 28" worked chopper but couldn't wind it out to see what it would do. Thoughts?

Freebird

Running a 200XRI w/ Sportsmaster lower. Setback is 11 inches (6" setback and 5 1/2'' hyd. jack). Run quite a bit above pad (probably over a inch over). Favorite prop is Lightning ET 28. Runs around 85 w/ one and 80 w/2 people. Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does. Your boat is the closest one to mine that I know of. Sent you a PM.

Outside that, I stopped in and talked to Glenn Reynolds today, and he pretty much confirmed what Larry Oran told me yesterday. I've got something going on with the bottom of the boat that wasn't apparent before going back six and up a bunch with a lot less drag than I had with that 175. He suggested adding a couple of bumps like those on the Grand Sports, but I think we're gonna take the boat off the trailer and get up under it to work the pad. Stay tuned.