Any hop up tips for a 98 Pro Max SS

Larry33kc

I have a 98 Allison with a 98 Pro Max SS turning a 30" chopperI was told that it was a 260 horse when I bought it and that it had some special heads on it but can't remember the guy's name. But any way I was wanting to know if there is any free or some what cheap hop up tips that I can do to go faster and get a better hole shot. TIA

B

BP

Assuming you have your set-up dialed in (engine height,weight placement etc.)
Sticking with cheap/free theme...

Cut a hole in your cowl and space out the faceplate for a little improvement in breathing.
For better holeshot add a skidplate, flotation to your jackplate cavity and a foil on your lower unit.

Make sure your engine is up to spec, the oil injection has been removed, and your hotfoot is adjusted to give WOT.

The Merc engineers did a pretty good job with the ProMax and as a result there isn't a lot of inexspensive improvement to be had.

JR

I bought one of Tony Bs ACUs and it really woke up my 98 PMAX 225 SS. I also get better gas mileage.
JR

whipper

wet sand your pad area with 600 grit and emery your lower unit to get your things slippery. ;) Its not an engine hop up but the lower unit is part of the hole motor package. :) James

whipper

Hey Glassman hows it. I was told that Darris never got around to designing one for a GS. So its trial and error! :shock: Im just going to cover the setback cavity leaving a 1/8 gap to 1/4 at the transom with a little downward lip pointing at the cone. When i take off and stop thats were the water sucks up. I spray 3 ft out either side from a standing start for a second when pulling a tuber especially. Im just going to tap out some fasten holes on the bottom of the aluminum plate,counter sink the skid plate holes and flat screw it to gether with some stainless screws and locktite. Vola!! I have some stainless plate lying around and lots of Aluminum. I think Ill make mine out of 1/4 inch plate Aluminum. p.s. We got a foot more snow tonight -14 and blowing 70k power was out for 2 days had to open the fridge to keep every thing cool. :lol: I see you guys are having simmilar weather were getting -25 by friday too!! :cry: My kids said this sucks how could people live without power in the old days. :lol: I said thats why familys had 6-8 kids nothing better to do! ;) I never told them that but thats what I was thinking. later James

JR

James,
If it makes you feel better, the temperature [here] fell to 42 and there were snow flurries as far south as Orlando. You need to keep that stuff up there!
JR

whipper

Its comming from Alaska the USA man :mrgreen: But there probably getting it from Russa! -30 buy sunday eeek :shock: Thats ok Glassman gets -40 for a month were he lives every winter!!! Like I said before JR 40,s is good boating weather with gortex and think off how much more power youll have. :) James

JR

Cold weather [60 or below] makes it paintball or motocross weather here. The boat and Jetski are "drydocked for the Winter".

We are "swamped" [at work] with buildings that have no heat today, by Friday it supposed to be close to 80 again.
JR

glassman

Hey whippey how's boating in PG!!?? Things are mighty cool in Big E! Looking for -22 tonite and maybe as cool as -32 :shock: by Tuesday!!!!! I luv it! Got 300 miles on my Mach Z already and hope to get a couple hundred more this weekend. Jet skis and boats are definitely out of the question! Still waiting on whether my bud is buying a boat (Hydrostream) in the spring. If so you may see us at WAR. He is looking at a 20' Vegas with a 300XS BTW!!

whipper

Yep a mach Z is a sled that will do around 140 mph with the right gear! :shock: When ya get in the deep snow in the pine pass 50 feet of snow 20 right now. Its like your on a jet ski if ya stop ya sink down 6 ft some times in the fresh powder! :shock: Glassman my buddys all have the new REV they head to powder king every weekend. I dont have a sled. Its 27 below right now at the house and snowed 3 feet the last couple of days!!!! Im just stayin in doors even got some kids to shovel the drive way so I didnt have to plow it myself today :grin: They were saveing up for a sled so have at er. Mine was the last driveway and they are getting an older 600 today, good for them. ;) James

J

John Richied

glassman said:
Still waiting on whether my bud is buying a boat (Hydrostream) in the spring. If so you may see us at WAR. He is looking at a 20' Vegas with a 300XS BTW!!
Right on… another possible WAR victim, I mean attendee. You might as well follow James on down, we are going to have a blast! :p

hack02

Sleds are cool. Some of them are just bad to the bone. Long travel suspension and lots of hp. I"ll bet I havn't seen a half a dozen in real life though, never one in action. Hec, it was mid 70's here today.

S

Scott Gilmore

hack02 said:
Sleds are cool. Some of them are just bad to the bone. Long travel suspension and lots of hp. I"ll bet I havn't seen a half a dozen in real life though, never one in action. Hec, it was mid 70's here today.
Heck, it was 67 today here in East Lansing Michigan............I WASTE alot of CASH on sleds with no snow !!! Scott :mrgreen:

glassman

James I can't believe you don't have a sled, in PG of all places! I have a Z for rippin on the lakes, but you seriously should have a Summit for the hills (mountains). BTW my Mach Z must be a dud, best radar run on the lake has been 124mph!!! :grin: !-! We have about a foot and a half of snow and the riding is great!! A couple of my buds don't want to go riding tomorrow because it will be -22 WTF!!! Scott- you need to head west and get riding!