Any Expert close to the N.W. for ProMax & Mariner Super Magnum?

BigRWater

I have a Mariner Super Magnum that has multiple issues & has never been right. It has a new power head, on a 1 piece adapter and a short shaft. It needs new eyes! Thanks for any help or guidance.
A couple of issues:
  1. it want get warm at dock (it stays the temperature of the river). Gets up to temp after running down the river a ways...
  2. will die at about 6000 rpm
Thanks again for any help.
Dave

stuart gary

could be thermostats are staying open or possibly cut out. and the 6000 rpm might be some rev limiter, computer setting (fuel curve) or other safety feature not letting you tach up

bassracr

I have a Mariner Super Magnum that has multiple issues & has never been right. It has a new power head, on a 1 piece adapter and a short shaft. It needs new eyes! Thanks for any help or guidance.
A couple of issues:
  1. it want get warm at dock (it stays the temperature of the river). Gets up to temp after running down the river a ways...
  2. will die at about 6000 rpm
Thanks again for any help.
Dave
If it were mine the first order of business would be getting the motor to run at proper operating temperature. Returning the cooling system to factory would likely do that . Probably need a 225 2 piece adapter With Solid mounts, poppet, correct thermostats, hose routing, etc. . The dying could be a long list of things likely solved by process of elimination. A good plug check when it happens maybe a starting point. Good luck.. sometimes they can be fickle.

BigRWater

Thank you. Sounds like a good plan. Old guitars always benefit if returned to stock.

Do you know where I could buy a 2 piece adapter with solid mounts. I had a local Marine dealer looking for the two piece with no luck.
There is a "Mercury Marine" one piece adapter for the 225 Pro Max on the super magnum right now. I agree on the cooling system and want to do what you suggest. Is there any place a guy could get a manual and images of a stock 225.

Thanks again.

bassracr

You can probably find a manual on eBay ,you can also keep an eye out there for an adapter plate ..scream and fly may be another source .

gmorgan

BigRWater, if you have a one-piece adaptor already under your motor, you likely will fix nothing by getting a two-piece, as the ProMax one-piece works just like a two-piece. It sounds to me like you have an issue where either your poppitt valve or your thermostats are hung open. It would be less time and probably less expensive to replace the poppitt and the thermostats first. Of course, I don’t know the history of your motor and what has
Already been done.

BigRWater

BigRWater, if you have a one-piece adaptor already under your motor, you likely will fix nothing by getting a two-piece, as the ProMax one-piece works just like a two-piece. It sounds to me like you have an issue where either your poppitt valve or your thermostats are hung open. It would be less time and probably less expensive to replace the poppitt and the thermostats first. Of course, I don’t know the history of your motor and what has
Already been done.
Thank you. I like that thought much better. I'll try to order original factory original poppitt valve and thermostats...

bassracr

This would be under the assumption your power head is sitting on top of a “factory’ pro max adapter. If someone put your power head on top of a one piece 260-280 adapter there will be no poppet valve. I purchased a new pro max in 1998 and it had a 2 piece with solid mounts new. I have heard of a one piece for the pro max but I have never seen one personally. Based on your original post I was assuming your power heard was likely bolted to a 1 piece without a poppet valve. Disclaimer: I’m getting old and my memory is not what it once was