Any bad experiences with 3 liter/xb 2003?

JOEALLY

Ok guys,

I have read for hours using the search function on this website about the 250 pro xs / xb 2003 combo. I know it CAN be done. I am strongly considering going this route as I have a really good deal on a 2007 250 pro xs local to me if I want it and my boat has a modified lip.

With that said, I have owned 3 xb2003s - each with a 200xs on it. I have owned a couple of 3 liter merc pro xs on bullets but I have NO experience with a 3 liter on a xb2003.

A couple of you guys have given me good info through pms on this set up, I appreciate it very much.

Now, my question is, "has anyone had any bad experiences with the 3 liter / xb 2003 combo?" If you prefer to pm me that's fine.

Thanks for the help. :gone fishing

whipper

I think go for it!! The one thing that I think about with this setup these days is that Bush is making some really great mods now for these. If you can get the revs in around the 7000rpm or higher range the ability to run smaller pitch props will make this setup safer and more functional on our hulls. That and a shorter midsection. The biggest problems Ive heard of is to high of a center of gravity with the 20inch and needing a 30+ pitch prop to get off the limitter without a ratcheting gearcase. Most of these issues are being adressed. Im not sure on if all yet? But its just a matter of time.

A 250XS with a 15 inch mid 7000+rpms with a ratcheting gearset running a 27 pitch prop would be a dream I think. I would measure your fulcrum with the 2.5 and the current setback. Then do what ever ya had to do to get that back in the same spot. Move the tank forward a few inches, batterys forward etc..while still maintaning a setback into the good water of 6-10inches. The parachute effect with the top heavyness and 30-32 pitchers non ratchesting are the biggest issue from what Ive heard?..

GotMyAlly

The 03 I bought last year had a 250XS on the tail. I wish I had ran it at least once before I pulled the motor...........

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boy this is a good question. I have been wanting to see if there are more running this combo than we hear about. I have a 225x on it now but I also have a 225 Pro XS still hanging on my old Checkmate. The Checkmate gets over 6 mpg and has an awsome hole shot. I keep thinking I should just 'try' the Pro XS on the Ally sometime. I don't do much high speed running anyhoo.

suicidealli

IMO. One of the drawl backs is there isn't many out there..... It is going to take some trial and error to get it where "you" want it, and like it... If you don't mind tinkering with set up go for it...

Roy

SLOmofo

I have a 3.3 OMC on my XB2003. Bill Smith (badbait) has a 250xs? on his XB2003. I run a 7" / 8" Rapid Jack made for an Allison with a 16" mid section. I think Bill's at 3" or 4" back.
The pad on my boat was chipped and repaired poorly more than once. There are a few spots under there that have sanding marks but are well forward of higher running speeds. There are blisters where the hull rides on the bunks. Hey it's isn't perfect neither am I. The edge of the pad running forward was flat in some places. I repaired the side edges and removed almost all the lip. Squared the rear of the pad. At some point the lip will be built back up, just a little, I will lean on Bill to get him to help me when the time comes.
I would PM badbait and ask your question.

whipper

So, if I'm looking at the right info, your motor lists a dry weigh of 493? Thats only a few pounds less than a pro xs merc?
The problems with a 3lt arnt so much the weight as it is the non ratcheting gearcase and lower rpms. Sure theres a top heavy effect from having a 505lb motor on a 20inch mid but really the biggest hurdle was the fact that with only 6300ish rpm and able to turn a 32 or higher pitch coming off the pad is like throwing out a parachute with a non ratcheting gear case. The bow drops to fast causing all sorts of unwanted issues with handling. Most of this is being addressed by some guys now.

For instance theres a few guys that run a 280,s 15 inch mid on the new 300XS. That brings down the Center of Gravity factor to more like a 2.5 20inch. Having a 15inch 2.5 mid on a 3.3LT 300XS also enables you to run a Ratcheting gear case. The rpm issue seems to be getting upped by Bush and one other i know of to around 7000. So now you can convert a 300XS to a 15inch mid turn 7000rpm and have a ratcheting gearset. All these mods should help allot in the handling and coming off the pad issues. Having less Lip will also help with coming off the pad. Setup is key and it can be done stock or better with these mods. {Without these mods youll have to be very carfull comming of the pad or reduce your lip so the transition isnt as abrubpt} .You'll be able to run 30 pitch and less comfortably with less center of gravity and if ya have to let off quick the ratcheting effect of the gearcase will not bring you to a screeching halt with as much risk of hook or barrel roll.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I forgot about that non ratcheting thing. My Checkmate with the 225 Pro XS only runs 75ish and when I let off too quick it does feel like you threw out a parachute. The *** end kinda kites up and to the side a little. There is not any pad on it and it is wider than the Ally but it is still a unique feeling if you let off too quick.

I suppose that could spell disaster in an Ally.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I forgot about that non ratcheting thing. My Checkmate with the 225 Pro XS only runs 75ish and when I let off too quick it does feel like you threw out a parachute. The *** end kinda kites up and to the side a little. There is not any pad on it and it is wider than the Ally but it is still a unique feeling if you let off too quick.

I suppose that could spell disaster in an Ally.
Prop it for 75 and call it good! Imagine how that would accelerate! :LMAO:

SLOmofo

Knock on wood, I've only thrown one blade. It was on the Champion during the return to the weigh in at a tournament. I felt a vibration and got off the gas and then decided if we stopped we wouldn't get back on plane, soooo. We made it to weigh in. The whole blade came off a Land & Sea Torque Shift prop. Over the last 30 years I've made junk out of less then 10 props.
Seized and rebuilt easily 3 times as many engines. Made scrap out of two.

As to the Question. I've had a OMC 3.0 on my XB2003 since I got it and set it up. It's probably heavier then any 3.0 Merc. The intake system is heaver than a stock OMC and the 16" mid section is heaver then a stock OMC. A stock OMC out weighs a Merc by a bunch.
I've hooked this thing at least 4 times above 90. So far I haven't been thrown around cuz I hung on for dear life. Having Hyd steering is a plus because the steering wheel isn't ripped out of your hands.
I have to be careful when turning around, like a 90 degree around a lake center marker buoy. It sometimes just cuts a much closer radius turn then I wanted to make. I remember the Vid of the Allison out running the tunnel boats and the corners it would cut, thats what it does. The buoys he had to go around weren't two 55 gallon drums stacked and welded together.
This time when it goes back together it will be set back at 7" and start at 3/8" above. Probably have Dave's slide intake. New bore and pistons. A little changing of the porting and maybe more compression. New fuel and ignition map. We'll see what happens.
James you get your plane ticket to Redding Ca. for the WAR12 yet?