Antoher speed ?

Promax225

What would be the best all out top end prop with a moddified promax with sportsmaster? Boat stripped with nothing but a few gallons of fuel and driver?
Boat is a xb2002 comp hull with 14in setback. Also how high above pad?

Thanks,
Jason

h2oskiier30

Yammy drag, hoss triton/hyperdrive, mazco re3, merc et....all run real well on an xb02. Just gonna have to play with it, Jason.

With that much setback, start out about 1/4" above. You'll probably end up higher, but that's a good "feeling her out" starting point.

I have 9" setback on mine and I'm 3/8" above.

Good luck, and be safe.

suicidealli

What would be the best all out top end prop with a moddified promax with sportsmaster? Boat stripped with nothing but a few gallons of fuel and driver?
Boat is a xb2002 comp hull with 14in setback. Also how high above pad?

Thanks,
Jason
I wish I could tell you an exact prop, motor height, set back... It just isn't that easy... Changing your set back 2" makes a difference. You have to spend time trial and error. Props is the biggest issue.. You buy a new ET prop it isn't going to run the exact same as the next one you buy. You have to test make some adjustments, and more testing. There is a ball park range where these boats run good, but it isn't going to be perfect. Each of us drive a little different too. Some drive them on the edge all the time, and others are conservative all the time.... I have lower units that just don't get locked on a rail, and some that a kid could drive....
Set up set up set up.. You will get out of it what you put into it...

Over all I like a 200 case, ET cut choppers, 9" setback with a 15" motor..
3/8" over the pad.. But this is on my boat...
At 1/4" below my boat runs like crap. Wiggled, and don't like to get on that nice rail....
BUT a real ET runs well, hoss runs well, SRX, yammi's are quickest.

I have worked so hard making changes with this 280 and I can say i don't have it figured out.. It runs awesome, easy to drive, but not getting the mph i want.... I'm picky!!!!!!! Lol.

Keep a log of adjustment, and changes, rpm, mph height, prop..
The cheapest mph increase you can get is a prop...... 3-5 mph for 300 bucks..... No brainer...

PS: i had the drag powerhead figured out....

Roy

Last edited:

xb03

I like hoss, mazco, and srx. Also, an et I'm sure would run well on your light weigh comp. I currently own a 30p mazco which is the fastest prop thats been on my boat.

suicidealli

I have a 27 mazco It runs good. A small ear chopper runs well too... It think it is more about getting that great prop, with a real good set up....
Also having a great driver.... John can drive an ally really well... John4utvols
When there isn't much boat in the water, at the right trim angle your driving it...
James from NC can drive the heck out of his 03... there are some guys that stand out....
Little pieces of the puzzle.... It takes time, and if your scarred, for get it.... Nothing wrong with some fear, and common since.... Can't remember the guy who set one of the records in a 02. Maybe wild bill, but he came out the day he set a record... Set the record after that.... Big marbles, or crazy, maybe a fine line..lmao. I know I have seen guys get in some other guys boat, and drive it faster than they ever went... When you get around guys like at the clifton rally you can learn a lot just by watching, and asking some questions. Sorry for getting carried away..lol

Have fun drive it like you stole it, and be careful if that is possible....

Roy

Promax225

Thanks for the info. when i had my bullet it took many trials and errors for me to finally bust 90, but with all the questions i asked it helped me alot, thats all im trying to do is get an idea! Really wanna hit 100. I respect all boats but im not scared to push it to its limits either. Thanks again for the great info guys!!! I stand corrected i just pulled the tape to the jackplate and it shows 12.5inches

Luketrician

Jason, you got a nice boat buddy, congrats btw!

Some good advice here so far and I like the hoss, ETs and yammie drags. Those yammie drags are insanely fast on holeshot, and mid range.

Promax225

Thanks luke! Very excited about setting this boat up! So far all i have is a 28 bullet cut chopper and a 26 trophy. Hope one of em does decent til i can get another, dont think ima even try the trophy.

bullwhipjkg

i like the trophy on mine good fuel milage and great for boat riding fishing and such

for playing im a fan of a worked yammy drag

bassracr

Thanks luke! Very excited about setting this boat up! So far all i have is a 28 bullet cut chopper and a 26 trophy. Hope one of em does decent til i can get another, dont think ima even try the trophy.
you should try that trophy. with that extra blade it will turn like a 30. you might not get to 100 but for an all around prop it aint to shabby and could help you get used to the boat and how it drives. for all out speed you will probably settle on something from hydromtive,hoss.or mazco

Tim Bostic

Re: Another speed ?

For top end speed......
I could build you a "killer" 14 1/2" x 32 Triton!
We've set a "few" speed records over the years.