Another decal question-

Darth VMAX

So I have been working on removing the crest decal off of my XB2002 small console (its is very bad shape). I have been using a hairdryer (as reccomended) to heat up the old decal. Seems like no matter what, all it will do is flake of in these tiny pieces.

I have decide to place the domed crest decal on the console and the flat one on the rear hatch. Would it hurt anything to just put the new domed decal over the old flat (and now chipped on the edges) crest decal?

My boat is going to be on display this Saturday and I hate that it has this nasty looking decal on her console. Worst yet, my time is BOOKED between now and then with softball coaching, tournaments and prep for the Outdoor Kids event I am heading up (where my boat will be displayed). Just placing the new one over the old one would save a lot of time for me but I don;t want to do it if its not going to work.

Thanks

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
i think as long as the old flat one is not demonstrating any kind of "relief" (sticking up in places) you should be able to clean the area with 91% isopropyl alcohol and apply the domed decal over the top without any lumps or ripples showing. Those domed decals are fairly thick vinyl.

Darth VMAX

How about this. I have heard you can take a soapy solution (dishsoap) and cover the application area. Then you can take the new decal, place it withou it adhereing then press down, squeezing the solution out and the decal will be placed perfectly. I am not sure if this would work with the domed decal but I have a flat one for the rear hatch and was thinking about covering that old one as well.

Ever heard or done this?

h2oskiier30

How about this. I have heard you can take a soapy solution (dishsoap) and cover the application area. Then you can take the new decal, place it withou it adhereing then press down, squeezing the solution out and the decal will be placed perfectly. I am not sure if this would work with the domed decal but I have a flat one for the rear hatch and was thinking about covering that old one as well.

Ever heard or done this?
I have always used this method for replacing decals on engines and such. However, when I tried it with the bubble decals on the side of my boat, it didn't work for some reason. The bubble letters just wouldn't stick. Ended up having to use a hair dryer to dry the back of the decals, dry the boat surface, and stick them on the fly.

GotMyAlly

What if you take a piece of gorilla tape or similar and slap it down on top of the old decal, then pull it up? If the tape is stickier than the old adhesive, it should pull the old sticker up with it.

Darth VMAX

LOL, I think we still have some MEK hidden somewhere.

I placed it over the old one (after the alcohol made a MESS stripping all the old "color" off the old decal). You can't even tell....but I guess time will tell how long it sticks to it.