Aluminum trailer

marlin

Has anyone been able to order an aluminum C or I channel trailer with their new Allison XB21? I think this is the boat I want, but I really don't like traditional tube trailers. Any ideas on the most cost effective way to do this if I have to get the trailer built by someone else? Can I order the boat without the trailer?

marlin

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have to call the number and see if the manufacturer knows how to do a C or I channel version. Virtually all saltwater boat manufacturers in Texas build their trailers this way. In addition to looking better than painted trailers (at least to my eye) they are very low maintainence and virtually never wear out except for tires, bunks, and bearings which are easy to maintain. I haven't figured out why bass boat manufacturers haven't gone this way yet. In speaking with one bay boat manufacturer they cost about the same or less to build than the traditional bass boat tube trailer because there is no painting to make up for the materials cost difference. He claimed there was a lot of labor costs in the painting and pin striping.

Unimog

I know there was an option for a galvanized trailer. I'll have to look at the order sheet and see if there was an aluminum option. I won't see any brackish waters so I didn't consider it although I did go for the additional imron clearcoating.

RedAllison

Boatmate is the OEM trailer supplier for Allison and they don't offer an aluminum trailer. Honestly I never understood why tube trailers were the "must have" over conventional channel trailers? :confused: Was it weight? If so how much could a tube trailer weigh compared to a C trailer? I'd think the difference could only be a hundred or so pounds, even if it was a couple hundred that aint gonna make much difference since anyone towing a 20+ ft boat usually has more than enough to pull it with!

Hands down the toughest, best pulling trailer I ever owned was the TI Trailer under an old 88 Starfire Skeeter I had back in the day. I'm just not sold on these tube trailers and damn sure don't have anything but cuss words for the folding tongue on the trailer on my 2+2. :cuss

Those of us who were at this years FastPass were treated to seeing THE COOLEST aluminum trailer that Phil had just gotten for his 03. I always thought a trailer HAD to be painted to match the boat, but after seeing the beaut under his boat I'd own one in an instant and it'd be bright and shiny just like his. :beer:
RA

ps
Found the post of Phil's trailer at the rally back in July. http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=9469&highlight=Aluminum+trailer&page=2

Last edited:

B HEBERT

After the trailer under my 2003 rusted out, I had an aluminum one made by a local welder. I brought him the old trailer and he used the fenders and axle and made a new one identical to the old one.

bigtis

After the trailer under my 2003 rusted out, I had an aluminum one made by a local welder. I brought him the old trailer and he used the fenders and axle and made a new one identical to the old one.
what did it end up costing you?

Texan

I'm just not sold on these tube trailers and damn sure don't have anything but cuss words for the folding tongue on the trailer on my 2+2. :cuss
I can't tell you how many people I've told about that horror story with your trailer. I can think of more than a few people that have changed their opinion on the folding tongue type trailer after hearing that.

I've got a single axle Boat Mate under my 03. Aside from replacing the fenders which had been bunged up with shiny new stainless steel fenders, I've had no bad luck with it (knock on wood), but then again I don't get to brackish water ever, and when not at the lake, the boat AND trailer are parked indoors. It isn't climate controlled, or anything like that, but it is indoors almost all the time.

RedAllison

I've had TWO broken bolts on that tongue now. I've got a bud whose uncle owns a trailer shop near my town and I'm probably going to put the boat in my lake for a couple weeks and take the trailer to let them weld the tongue up on it and have it painted. :same ole song

The closest my boats get to brackish water are 300-400 miles but over the long haul tubes just DON'T hold up like the C frames do. I think initially the tube trailers were a "neat whiz" factor plus they hid the wiring for a more custom look than the C frames did. But there's NO question rusty tubes aren't as strong as beam trailers.

I think Phil paid around $5k for his trailer, an exactly optioned, Imron painted tube trailer from Boatmate is appx the same price so I don't see any negative to the alloy trailer.

:cool:
RA

marlin

Thanks for the great discussion guys! I'm glad I'm not alone. I agree with virtually all the comments. I have owned nothing but folding tongue trailers and never had an issue. Can someone point me to the thread that discussed the issue on the BoatMate trailer? I have not seen their folding tongue before. Do they do the drop style or the pin and hinge? I much prefer the drop style as they are much stronger in my experience. I did a little checking today. I can get an all aluminum I beam trailer with SS fenders, nice rims, brakes, tandem axle, LED lights, etc for around $5.5K.

B HEBERT

Bigtis, the trailer cost about a thousand. Well worth it. Had it done by a guy in Lafitte. Hew was a retired welder. It was before Katrina and I have not heard if he flooded and if he is still doing it. The only problem is the trailer is so light, if I back up too far the trailer floats.

xr6

I think my next one will be Aluminum. My 99 Boatmate has rusted significantly on the inside of the main frame on one side only. I talked to Boatmate and they claimed it must have been used in Brackish water. I think its strange that the rest of the trailer looks great ...I think its because they don't put drain holes in them.

2Fast2Pass

I'll get u some pics. of mine if you want. I had a local shop (FastLoad) build one for my 2003. I've had it for 5 or 6 yrs. All stainless hardware and aluminim wheels, including spare, it was around $1800. I think Ameritrail makes the nicest Aluminum trailer, not cheap though.

Unimog

There are no drain holes in the trailer?? I'll have to look this over. My plan to make the trailer last is the same as what I do on my trucks. I use a product called fluid film, it's a corrosion preventitive that has kind of a pudding like consistency. I use a siphon spray gun to apply it right out of a gallon bucket. I'll be spraying it up into the inside of the trailer which I would assume is bare metal.

xr6

There are no drain holes in mine. Boatmate said they don't weld the bottom of the end caps on the main tube frame to facilitate drainage. On the starboard side of my trailer the seam which is apparently to facilitate drainage is rusted solid obviously not allowing drainage. There are 3 openings on the sides of each main tube which allow water in but nothing on the bottom to allow water out.

SSTOM

I'll get u some pics. of mine if you want. I had a local shop (FastLoad) build one for my 2003. I've had it for 5 or 6 yrs. All stainless hardware and aluminim wheels, including spare, it was around $1800. I think Ameritrail makes the nicest Aluminum trailer, not cheap though.
Post some pics would like to see it. Thanks Tom

2HOT4U

I just ordered an aluminum trailer from McClain trailers. cost is 2250 & has spare with toesion axles. My tube trailer is about to drop out from under my xb03 iffn I don't get another one. I priced the cost of another tube & its just way overpriced. JMHO.
Aluminum under the ALLY!!!!! YEEEEEHAW

BALD ALLISON

I would be glad to share any info on my Aluminum Trailer. Call me (Phil) 225-268-7114

Red, thanks for the nice compliments, I love my new trailer and it pulls like a dream.

Phil