Almost got the win last night

SmallJaw

Me and Trevor fished the McFarland Wildcat last night and "almost" got the win. We smelled it once more. We did get 2nd and had a real nice bag of brown fish though. No complaints when you can get some fish like we had last night. These pic's were with my phone and boy do they suck for sure. But, you can see Trevor holding up 3 of our fish. The bite is about to happen again. Been off for a while for us but thank goodness for those heavy hair jigs. Biggest, which won big smallmouth was 4-8 thanks to my son.

Attachments

allimax

You guys do put some monster smallies in the boat. If you ever get a chance take some pics of what you like to throw and post them, I'd like to give'em a shot up here.

RedAllison

SJ I'd sure like to meet up with you down there some night soon! Short of big game and "high heeled deer" NOTHIN gets the ol ticker tickin like them ol brown fish... :beer:

SmallJaw

Allimax, I'd be glad to post some pictures or talk to you about what we use to catch them down here. I don't see why the same techniques and baits we use won't work anywhere in the country. I have my jigs made by an old gentlemen with a zillion years of experience catching smallmouth's. He has a almost 9 pounder on his wall and a dozen over 7. Granted not all were caught on his jigs, but he had to know something about them brown fish or he wouldn't have ever caught them on anything. I believe Carl Boaz may be the best kept secret in hair jig building there is. I think his company name is Tournament Jigs or something like that. He may have a website. It'd be worth looking him up. Red, I'm giving some long hard thoughts lately to going down and getting checked in at JP Coleman SP and just fishing for a few days (nights! LOL). I love all of Pickwick but there is somethings special about the beauty of the lower end that has always made me love fishing down there. I won a Smallmouth Inc. event down there a long time ago and ever since I have had a soft spot for the place. If you want to try to hook up down there we can do that, or you can meet me up on the McFarland end and we'll go see if we can't put some in the boat on the upper end. The good thing right now is that about anywhere you go on the main channel and stay in the current tossing hair jigs and a good trailer you can catch some nice fish. The art to doing it is the part that drives a lot of guys crazy. I am fanatical about my line size, jig head type, jig size (not just weight), rate of fall and speed of retrieve. When you figure all the little things that makes that jig look like a crawfish or bream you got it licked. The different flow rates of the river though means changing things around in your set up 2 or 3 times in a night or else you will think the fish just quiet biting. I'm no gift to the smallmouth world on all this. I'm still learning too, but I have eliminated an awful lot of wasted time by being willing to change on the fly. Give me a shout in the next week or two. I'm going back as often as I can.:wink

allimax

Found a bunch of links for a tourneyjigs.com but can't get a single one of them to come up. I'll try again from the home pc when I get there. I guess anal always pays off, I always only use 8 lb. clear fluorocarbon on the spinning and 14 on the bait caster. Most all the guys on the lake I fish flip the docks, I found it best to hit the weed edges around the deep water humps say in 15' or so of water.

SmallJaw

Found a bunch of links for a tourneyjigs.com but can't get a single one of them to come up. I'll try again from the home pc when I get there. I guess anal always pays off, I always only use 8 lb. clear fluorocarbon on the spinning and 14 on the bait caster. Most all the guys on the lake I fish flip the docks, I found it best to hit the weed edges around the deep water humps say in 15' or so of water.
When the water here hits about 70 it's all night time for me if I just have to catch a big smallmouth. Do you fish at night much there?