Allison steeering helm

1badss

Banned
I tried to get it off today and this friggin thing wont budge. Is there a special way to get it off? I tried to loosen the thru helm hollow bolt but not. Maybe it a lefty thread? Please help.
Thanks

Sking

there are 3 bolts that go thru the dash that hold the helm on. there is a flat half circle plate that these bolts go thru on the back side of the dash. you have to remove these bolts. the bolt thru the center holds the steering wheel on. if your removing the helm you will also need to remove the racks. they are held on to the helm with 4 biolts each but they come off easily. just did this myself, I removed my front seats first so I had more room to lay down and get under the dash.

Sking

I forgot to mention, if you are removing the helm you also have to remove the pinnion gear assemblies that are bolted to the back if the helm. they are larger than the hole in the dash. there are 2 of them, 1 for each rack. you can leave them bolted together and just remove 2 bolts from the front one that holds them to the helm. then remove the long bolt thru the steering wheel you are talking about. there is a gear about 7"-8" long that may slide out of the helm after you remove that bolt but don't worry, it slides right back in. you end up with pretty large pile of nuts and bolts but really, once you start there is not much to it.
good luck..

Sking

1badss, the center nut is fixed to the long tube that runs all the way thru the helm and and pinnion assemblies. this tube must be about a foot long. on the other end, there is a nut holding everything together. use a rebular socket on the steering wheel end and use a wrench on the other end to hold the nut. if you have trim on wheel, that's why the tube is hollow, to allow the trim wires to pass thru, you will have to disconnect the trim wires from the wiring and pull them up thru the hollow tube. my xb2002 was a 88 model and this bolt was a solid bolt, guess trim on wheel was not offered in 88 so I replaced it with a later model steering helm/steering wheel so I could have the newer style trim on wheel. thread's are regular right hand thread, ie: not left hand. I know it sounds like a lot of info but really not much to it..

Blue Gray in PA

Did you buy the later model wheel and helm from Allison? I saw several like that at the Rally and would like to lose the pigtail and old steering wheel if it isn't too pricey. I forgot to ask Bill at the Allison tent so maybe you can tell me how hard it is to change the wheel but still keep the cables and racks?

Sking

Blue Gray in PA, if your asking me, I bought a used setup with everything including new style steering wheel, except cables from someone upgrading to hydraulic. I also needed the parts that connected the steering at the motor, I was also going from the older style skinny tiller arm to the newer, larger tiller that was on my 2.5 175 so it worked out for me and saved some cash. I believe the parts I bought came off a 96 model. Could have used the newer racks but mine fit and were still in good shape so now I have some spares. Yes, the newer helm bolted right into place. The steering wheel had one spoke mounted trim button so I just had to tie those wires into my wiring harness. I had never done a project like this before but really had no problems, just take your time. I found mine on this site but you can find them on screamandfly also. I have seen prices anywhere from $100-$175 for everything. Usually guys just cut the cables to remove if they are going to hydraulic but I wish they would'nt so those of us on a budget could salvage their old cables to. I know the latest and greatest is hydraulic but at $1400 or so that's not in my future at this time, besides, now my steering works great and I have a trim button on wheel. If you buy one and have any questions I'll be glad to help..

Blue Gray in PA

Thanks for the info Sking. 1badss - what do you have and how much do you want ot part with? I have newer cables and the racks are still good but I might be interested in a package set-up, with or without the cables. Send me a PM or reply here and let's deal.