Allison Skid plate with or without the Allison Foil

Ally03 200xs

Has anyone run the both of them together? If so, was there anything negative? I'm trying to decide if I should remove it or leave it on as I just installed the Ally skid plate.

Thanks

Casey G

both together should be fine, but the only way to know for sure is to test it both ways and see which one works better for you.

Bob Ant

Funny you should mention this. I have both a Allison skidplate and a foil on my boat. My Allison skidplate is mounted exactly as Allison reccomends but it is 20 inches long. WHen I put it on I was wary of how long it was.

Anyhow, last nite I was out fishing and the water was perfect for a high speed suicide run. Normally , prior to the skidplate, my boat would run 97to 99 at any given time and have touched 100.

The best I could muster was 95. There is no reason why the boat should not have been in the 99 to 100 range. Water was perfect, gas level was low, relatively new plugs in it, and I had the high speed prop on it.

Sooo, next time out I am taking the skidplate off and not changing anything else except the fuel level. I have to or I'll be paddeling it in. I think the back edge of the skidplate it creating some drag. I will find out and report .

I should add that after the high speed run when doing normal fishing runs the boat is better with the skidplate on because you never have to worry about water coming over the transom no matter how fast you shut it down.

If the boat runs faster with it off I am going to start experimenting by shorting the skidplate an inch at a time until I get the best of both worlds.

I will report on results.

Bob Anthony

RedAllison

Bob before you start moddin the skidplate try removing the foil first and see what happens!

That wobbly arsed shaft can't help nuthin either! :laughing
RA

Bob Ant

No problem with the bent prop shaft. I straightened with a 10 pound sluge hammer--straight as an arrow now. Only picks up a slight wobble at speeds over 100.

Last time I did 100 I had the foil on. You think the conbination is hurting it. The foil is not even in the water at that speed

I am not sure about the temp both times but last nite the temp had cooled off because I was fishing in the rain and really cooled things off. I think it was perfect high speed conditions and the reason I was a little dissapointed in the top speed. I hate slow boats.

Bob A.

fishnfireman

Real heavy air will make a little difference in how good they run.

You say it just rained. Even thou it was cool I bet the humidity was way up.
I know over the years...there are just some days it will not run as good.
When you start talking about the difference between 98 vs 100.
There are so many things that can come into play.
Temp, humidity, fuel, water conditions, moved something in the boat.
I would try one more run just to be sure.

Bob Ant

I installed according to Darris's directions. 1 1/2 inches behind pad and 3 inches above it.

3 inches above pad ain't much if you then go out 20 inches( length of skid plate) plus the 1/1/2 inch space, a total of 21 1/2 inches.( momma didn't waste that schoolin money).

That's why I think the back edge of it is catching some water and pushing down the nose. I then have to use a little more tilt which is robbing HP from pushing the boat forward. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it until that sumnabitch goes faster.

Bob A.

Bob Ant

I just thought that I would update this thread. As I stated in my last one I thought the skidplate was costing me top end speed. With it on I was only able to hit 95 when I had previously hit 100 before I installed it.

Last TuesdayI took it off and went fishing. As it got thre later the temperature started to cool down and the water had just a little chop on it--perfect hi-speed water. So here i go-flat out for 1/2 mile or so--top end 94.something--same as with the skidplate on .

SO at least I proved the skidplate had no effect. Last time I did 100 was right after I got my injectors back from Tony and Linda Brucato. Still the same prop as last time, nothing changed.

I guess when I get a chance they'll be in the mail for cleaning and checking that they are in specification.

So, now ends the question of the Allison skidplate on my boat anyhow and back to the other question of where's my lost 5 miles an hour.

Once I get the injectors cleaned and /or replaced I'll report on results.

That's all from lack of speed central for now. Please wave as you pass.

Bob A.

Ally03 200xs

Thanks for reporting your findings Bob! Once again, thanks for the templates you mailed me.