Allison owners with Hydraulic steering

john w

I have the 5345 cylinder and it has about 1.5" of play in the wheeel and about 3/4" of play at the cylinder. You can move the motor back and fourth on the cylinder about 3/4", we have bled the system many,many times where you get no bubbles at all at the cylinder, its getting old !!! Can Allison owners please tell me how their Hydraulic steering works for them. Any slack in yours?

Thanks

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this...crank your wheel all the way over one direction till it stops, then put some good pressure on it, then go all the way over to the other side and do the same thing. Tightened mine up some. I don't have very much slack in mine though.

JOEALLY

What little slack I have in mine is from worn bushings in the piece that bolts to the motor, not in the cylinder or lines.

resqu-u

I just finished my install a few weekends ago. I used a little over one bottle of the fluid to bleed 18' lines and I've got the 6345 cylinder. I have between a 1/4" and 1/2" of play at the wheel but no play at the motor. If I turn the wheel like bullet said it gets tighter on the wheel but not much. I've only been out once since the install but the handling was great up to the 70's.

catfish123

The bushings Reynolds has for sale on his website are for dual opposed cable steering, not hydraulic steering.

procomp

my buddy told me to do it with the cylinder not attached to the motor as this is the only way you will get full travel and be able to fully crank on it to remove the air. You might want to try that as well

Bobalouie

Mine has no perceptible play in either the wheel or motor. 6345 cylinder.

Last edited:

whipper

i can wiggle the motor a little from out back without the wheel moving. At the wheel I have very little but some. If I slightly move the wheel The motors pretty close to moving also{so less play from the wheel}. Not a hudge big deal. If ya can driver like that great if it effects handeling not as great.
Motor mounts will effect play a little also. I have one set solid and one set soft. Cant remember what set upper or lower are the solid ones?:confused Some guys say only solid up and down but Ive had no issues at all with handeling ever so i dont bother changing anything that works..

hemi2005

With the hydraulic steering they say that you shouldn't be able to move the engine side to side by hand more than 1/8"....Mine does, but just barely. There could be a little air in the lines.

SLOmofo

Like mentioned try bleeding with the cylinder removed. Also if in the process of bleeding you move too fast it can cause the air still to be bled to create very small bubbles. It's a good idea to bleed the system a few times over a few weeks.

resqu-u

Both GREAT points Gary! I'm planning to do mine again after a few trips on the water just to be sure.

skewby

mine had play in it but after every trip out i'd bleed it, after 3 or 4 trips mine is real tight now.

john w

my buddy told me to do it with the cylinder not attached to the motor as this is the only way you will get full travel and be able to fully crank on it to remove the air. You might want to try that as well
Well we have tried every thing else,why not remove the cylinder. Thanks for your help, Saturday hopefully we can finish the Ally project.

john w

well, we bled the system again and got a little more air out of it. I have a about 1/8" of play at the cylinder and about 1' play at the wheel.

Where can i buy a new tiller bolt and bushing? Hopefully that will cure the problem.

suicidealli

I'm back to the cables again. Have been for 2 years. Hyd is nice for long runs, but they are always a touch soft. You get use to it. I don't run huge props anymore either. Running 1.87 gears and 32p props is where the hyd really shines...I bled the wheel every time out. Turn one way really hard, and let off slow, and the helm will bleed, and take out some slop.

Roy

Last edited:

john w

Roy, no more 32 pitch props for me, the etec 250 ho is gone and i have a 99, 280 sportsmaster,standard prop shaft. Hopefully going for a ride this week.

suicidealli

John Them 280's will spin big props!!!!!!!!!!! Those little props are alot of fun too.
If you have con ecu you will be running big props to stay off the limiter....lol
Doesnt take much to hit 7750 with 1.87 gears. My drag will turn 8400 with a 31p and 1.87 gears... You better get those big pitch props out!!!!!!!!

Roy

john w

Quote, If you have con ecu you will be running big props to stay off the limiter. Quote
Not for long !!!!