Allison foil, will it help skiiing?

mxzx

Having problems pulling out a skier with my gse. Will an ally foil help with getting a skier out of the water? Or is the only solution to prop down. Currently run a 26 hydromotive qiv with 1.75 gears.
Thanks.

2003225X

I would prop down and add a foil. 23 pitch would be good for that.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Prop way down. Those gears really hurt your torque to the prop. I'd find a cheap 21 trophy plus to try. I know when I've played with 2:1 gears and 1.87:1 gears, it amazes me how much less grunt I have when switching back to the 1.87s. I can only imagine what 1.75s would be.

mxzx

Wow .... 1.75 with a 26" is waaaayyyy too big. Put a 19" on it and you'll think you swapped to pulling a small kid
Yeah figured it was worth a try skiing with it. Do you know of any cheap small props around? Flotorque or fat shaft?

Last edited:

whipper

doesnt matter flow or fixed. Main thing is prop way down. I used a 22 quad4 and it pulled hard just had 60mph top speed is all. Way faster than all other ski boats on the lake still.:beer:

21 or even a 19 would be that much better. one of the factors when pulling out of the hole is the GS is so light in the bow and you need a long pylon to clear the cowl. This causes the leverage of the skiier to pull down the stern and up the bow. Having the extreem low pitched prop will help with the quikness getting on plain when the motor is tucked under giving you WAY better skiing and tubing control.The foil allows your plaining speed to decrease about 3mph over without. If you had two big guys in the front seats and the lighter persons in the stern bench that will also help.Stow all you can in the bow for water sports and that will help also.

One more thing would be if ya havent all ready? Stuf a smaller exersice ball in the setback cavity and pump it up. That will give you better boyancy in the stern. This also helps the stern from squatting more at take off skiing and general sport boating with larger pitch props to.