Alli's in the salt stuff??

DaveW

Hi all,

As most of my fishing is done in saltwater estuaries and rivers, just wondering about the suitability of Alli's to saltwater??

I've looked everywhere and can't find anyone that runs regularly in salt to ask their opinion, such as corrosion issues, speed differences, set-up concerns etc...

All help appreciated :D

cmbracer

I run in salt water all the time, haven't got a fresh water lake big enough around.
2003, 225PM, sportsmaster lower, 24" Trophy.
As far as setup goes, I can't tell you if anything is different.
I like to run my engine a little low, because of steering problems. That's 1" below.
Accelaration is very good, the 24" will take it to around 70 mph.

Allison uses a few bolts and fastners that does not like salt, but all in all I have no problems.
Have to say, the boat gets a good wash every time used.
My only problem is the Allison trailer, it has no corrosion protection, other than the outer paint, and is is not good enough.
I have only used the boat 2 years, but the trailer is allready in bad shape.
Nothing to bad other than paint flaking of, rust running to the ground making the trailer looking old and tired.

The boat handles rough water pretty well, it has to in my area.

JR

Salt water

I run salt water 30% of the time and have found that: the bow and stern lights, trim pump bracket, CMC jack Plate connector / sending unit / main circuit breaker do not like the salt. You will also have to replace the anodes every couple of years. Be sure to go straight from the boat ramp to the car wash and remember the trailer too. My trailer is aluminum but some of the hardware is starting to suffer, along with my aluminum rims.
The boat runs great in salt water with more bouyancy and less prop slippage [due to the higher water viscosity]. Remeber to flush the engine too when you get home.
JR

J

John Richied

I have heard a boat will run faster in saltwater... you mean that’s true?

How much faster ya think? :p

DaveW

Awesome - this is exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear :D

I sympathise with the trailer issues - I am planning on a new trailer, whatever Allison I end up getting, to be built here in Aus for it. Fully galvanised, painted, as salt proof as possible.

There's nothing worse than trailer failure :(

On the same subject, if I was to get one built, would anyone know the specs to work with, say for an XTB-21?

Probably the kind of question I need to ask Allison, but if anyone know a trailer manufacturer that does them for Ally's, pass the info on and I'll shoot them some mail.

Thanks again gents :D

Dave

DaveW

Sorry, another question for JR :)

Having never seen the parts in question, would they all be replaceable by something more heavy duty/stainless that I could source locally here in Aus?

Example - the trim pump bracket - could I get it easily fabricated out of stainless over here? Not sure of the complexity of the bracket.

I'm fully used to the lights problem - over here it seems that you just can't get a heavy duty model designed to deal with heaps of salt. I've found some manufactures in the U.S. all built out of stainless with rubber O-rings that I'll probably end up bringing in. My logic goes: Spend once and get it right, rather than replace them every year........

Don't get me started on switch panels! It's almost an annual thing over here to change one :?

Dave

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Do any of you have the June 2005 issue of Bass & Walleye Boats magazine? There is an article on page 44 about the CounterAct rust prevention system. http://www.counteractrust.com

I would not put as much faith in this technology except for the fact that EZLoader Trailers has tested the system for several years, and the results are nothing short of remarkable.

I am planning to install one of these devices on my BoatMate XB-2003 trailer (which so far has only seen fresh water) and then dunk it into the concentrated, lethal brine of the Napa River.

I've never been so worried about the Allison in the saltwater; but I've felt the saltwater for the BoatMate trailer is the kiss of death. It appears that this active system fouls the recipe for corrosion.

J

John Richied

I don’t think it takes saltwater to give a Boatmate trailer “The Kiss of Death”! It just speeds up the process…. LOL :p

JR

Allison Hardware

The most wonderful thing about the Bowlight [made by Atwood] is that on my Grandsport there is a crossbar with a depression under it, just behind the bow light. When I go to tie off the bow, I just loop the line around the crossbar once and then put the Eye [noose] on the end of the rope around the bowlight [which is the perfect shape]. The line will stay tied without a Knot through a Hurricane and can be released by just lifting the noose [eye] over the bow light.

You can postpone failure of the electrical connections by coating them with the CRC heavy-duty corrosion spray, which is a thick brown goo.

I keep everything on my Merc's powerhead coated with it since I have a shortshaft motor that gets dunked every time I come off of plane.

I have not looked at a retrofit for the Merc trim pump bracket yet since I have been busy with the boost mods for my Honda PWC. The bracket will be my project after Labor day.

The Prop slippage on my rig goes way down in salt water, but I have never unloaded all the junk out of my boat for a top speed run except in fresh water. My best speed [95 GPS] was obtained in some really rough fresh water.

The aluminum trailers with the stainless hardware [including ss brakes /hardware] are the most salt resistant. Be sure to use the sealed LED tailights and cover all the splices with heatshrink / liquid electrical tape or the DC current salt water combo will eat up the conductors almost over night.

I use a silicone di-electric grease [sparkplug release grease] inside of all of my electrical plugs and sparkplug boots.

Enjoy your toy...
JR