A-Boat Owner Drowns in TN

TysPop

I was saddened to hear that this A-Boat drowned this past Saturday. I didn't know him personally but I thought someone on the board might. Here is the article from the Clarksville, TN, Leaf-Chronicle Newspaper.

James Randell "Randy" Cook, 45, was found Sunday night by a Stewart County search team, according to Stewart County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Deryk Wyatt.

Cook was last seen when he left to go fishing Saturday around 2 p.m. When he hadn't returned by dark, a friend in the area went out in a boat to try to find him.

The friend found Cook's 1995 Allison fishing boat in Saline Creek, but it was empty, Wyatt said.

Stewart County Emergency Medical Service Director Greg Barrow said Cook's life preserver was still in the boat, and the engine was running.

Search crews were called out at about 10 p.m. and looked for Cook until 3:30 a.m. Sunday, taking a break until about 7 a.m. They found him at 4:30 p.m. Sunday under water about 50 yards from the boat.

Wyatt said there was no indication of how Cook ended up in the water. The drowning is still under investigation, and an autopsy will be conducted. "But we feel like it's an accidental drowning," Wyatt said.

The search team consisted of Stewart County Sheriff's Office, Stewart County K-9 Search and Rescue, Stewart County Rescue Squad, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, with assistance from a Tennessee Highway Patrol helicopter, Wyatt said.

Anyone who was fishing or boating in Saline Creek on Saturday should call TWRA Officer Joe Campbell at 615-339-5581.

Cook is survived by his wife and two children.

The funeral will be 2 p.m. Thursday at Neal-Tarpley Chapel, with visitation from 5 to 7 p.m. today and from noon until the service Thursday at the funeral home.

strip

Anybody close to there that might get some flowers sent over from Allison Owners? I would gladly chip in.

Guys wear your life Jackets and kill switches! And if you fish very often in cold weather you need a ladder.

strip

I agree with RA on not being thrown. I would venture to say he started the boat and got back up to strap something down or take a leak then fell out. If nobody has done it before I can tell you that falling out of a boat in the winter is a bad deal esp if you do not have a ladder. <50 degree water pulls the strength out of your body quick, couple that with heavy clothes and you can not pull yourself back in. If your lucky you can drag your boat to bank if not....We will read about you. When fishing in the winter I always wear an inflatable vest, and I will always have a ladder on my boat! I fell out while sinking some brush. I had to swim to bank because I could not get back in the boat even with a friend pulling me up. I don't know that this is what happened to Randy but I would say it is likely. May God bless him, and his family.

Leigh

Prayers for his family. A sad reminder to all of us that bad things happen, we all need to be careful on the water.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Terrible news. Prayers for his family. I would be in favor of sending flowers to the family if someone can provide details please pm me.

If you are alone and maybe even if you're not, taking a leak over the side of a boat without a PFD in winter can be fatal. A friend in Fish & Game once told me that many of the bodies they pull out of the water have their zipper down. I am not trying to be funny; this is a fact. If you slip and go in, your survival can be measured in heartbeats.

baitcaster

This is sad - sad news, I hate to hear about these things. I too am game for the flowers, just let me know. Prayers sent for his family.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thank you John for finding that post.

Being it was about cowling hold-down straps, I re-read this thread and saw Strip's post:

I would venture to say he started the boat and got back up to strap something down
How many times have we leaned over the transom to affix a cowling or whatever. Again, wear the PFD's.

Texan

Terrible news. Prayers for his family. I would be in favor of sending flowers to the family if someone can provide details please pm me.

If you are alone and maybe even if you're not, taking a leak over the side of a boat without a PFD in winter can be fatal. A friend in Fish & Game once told me that many of the bodies they pull out of the water have their zipper down. I am not trying to be funny; this is a fact. If you slip and go in, your survival can be measured in heartbeats.
I thought of this and wondered the same thing. Prolly a little chilly in his neck of the woods the other day.

I'll chip in for flowers as well, or maybe a memorial depending upon what the family desires. We've got quite a few people here that seem willing. Maybe a memorial fund to help offset expenses? Just my thoughts here, 'cause flowers aren't a forever kind of thing.

Last edited:

catfish123

I'm in on helping out with a contribution........if it gets set up, just let me know where and how to send the money. Paypal transaction may be the easiest for most people. What a tragedy!