98 xb2003 with 2005 2.5 xs

motobuffy

Geat condition with maroon and white gel and maroon carpet. The seats are white with maroon trim. The 2.5xs (rated @ 225hp) has been problem free the roughly 10 years I have owned it. Lee reflashed the control module when I purchased it. At that time, it showed roughly 20 hours. It now reads 60 hours, so I assume it has 80 total hours. No rebuild; all original hours. Great fuel mileage. Prop is a 26 trophy, redone by Robbie Patterson. I'll include a L&S torque shift as a backup. Troller ia 24v motoguide tour edition (82 lbs). Trailer is a dual axle boatmate. Electronics consist of 2 Lowrance Elite 5s and a water temp gauge. Mercury monitor gauge.. Hydraulic steering. Bike seat and pedestal. 3 bank battery charger. Side steer. 3 batteries. Custom aluminum work done in the front compartment to store 20ish 3700 boxes. The not so perfect; the white portion of the seats show some staining and there are some holes in the dash tray where electronics have been removed. Message me with questions or requests for more pics. Sorry, but not interested in sale to overseas buyers. Boat is located in central Virginia near Roanoke. The only reason for the sale is an XB21 2+2 followed me home yesterday and my financial adviser informed me 2 boats are one too many. Price is $17,900

Attachments

dubmoney

I would like to see a picture of the Alumnium work that houses the 3700 boxes. Sounds like something I could really use.

gmorgan

Dubmoney, your are so right. The storage aluminum work would be interesting to see.

motobuffy

Ask and you shall receive. I didn't do it, but it isn't particularly difficult. The toughest part would be templating the pieces that fit across the V. The rest is pop rivits and 90 angles. The only issue is the boxes are way down in the bottom of the boat. 4 angles across from port to starboard would make the 3700s easier to reach. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I'll see if I can do better tomorrow in better light.

Attachments

motobuffy

Having difficulty with my camera getting a good shot. Those that want pics, send me your email or phone. My phone has decent pics.

Ryan Armes

Probationary User
How do you like the 2.5xs? I am currently running a 225x on my xb2003 and it's been an excellent motor but lacks in gas mileage and low end torque. This is mainly because my boat is tournament loaded 99% of the time and the gas mileage and low end torque of the 3.0L is intriguing, but the weight is not! I have wondered if the 2.5xs would be a good compromise for me, but the horror stories of reliability have kept me away.

dubmoney

Ryan, I am suprised to hear that you feel like you could use more torque. What prop are you using? I have only read and seen stories of frustration with the 2.5xs and 225x motors, while I have pretty much seen and heard only good things from people using the 300xs on our xb2003 hulls. Don't get me wrong I love my 2.5 racing motor, but it doesn't get good gas milage, but it does launch my boat and or push it as fast as I want to go.

Ryan Armes

Probationary User
I swap back and forth between a 26p trophy (carries a load better) and a 28p Hydromotive Quad IV O/T (better top end). the 225x has been an excellent motor don't get me wrong i came from a 225 Promax and i can tell a positive difference in HP and in gas mileage. BUT when compared to a 3.0L there is a big difference in low end torque and gas mileage plus idling ledges, etc. And I would love to have a 300xs BUT if i chose to donate money to a FLW BFL event then they limit you to a 250hp motor.

motobuffy

As I said, my 2.5 has given me no problems and gets fantastic fuel mileage. For comparison purposes, my 2003 had a regular 200 mariner on it when purchased. I assume it had 1.87 gears. Hole shot was about the same between the two motors with the exact same 26p trophy. Differences were 2.5xs was loaded with "stuff" and has 1.75 gears. The 200 was empty. Neither compares favorably with the 3.0 on the XB21. Also, the 2.5xs is 450 lbs, not as heavy as a 3.0. but heavier than other 2.5s.

Dave Hensley

Don't expect a 300XS to have more torque than an early 250 XS. I have owned several and a 2005 250 ProXS with 1.62 gears will dust a 300XS out of the hole and the 300XS will not start gaining on it for at least 1000'.

motobuffy

Yes, still available. I'm on vacation until early next week. I do have several pics on my phone, so send me your phone # if you want them. Be patient, as vacation keeps me away from my computer.

motobuffy

Sold. It is on its way to Wisconson. Thanks Joel. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I hope the boat is as good to you as it was to me.

stormy

Sold. It is on its way to Wisconson. Thanks Joel. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I hope the boat is as good to you as it was to me.
I’m sure we will get a lot time in it, when the water isn’t frozen. Now to learn how to drive it! Thanks Frank,

buddyjorde

How do you like the 2.5xs? I am currently running a 225x on my xb2003 and it's been an excellent motor but lacks in gas mileage and low end torque. This is mainly because my boat is tournament loaded 99% of the time and the gas mileage and low end torque of the 3.0L is intriguing, but the weight is not! I have wondered if the 2.5xs would be a good compromise for me, but the horror stories of reliability have kept me away.
I recently bought a 2.5XS on a XB21 ProSport. I thought it would feel underpowered on the 21’ boat, but seems like a stout motor. More low end torque than either of my ProMax 225s, and pulls all the way up into the upper 6000 rpm range. I don’t have much time with it, but seems like a good motor right now. Only has 72 hours on it. And old man owned it and rarely used it.

buddyjorde

I recently bought a 2.5XS on a XB21 ProSport. I thought it would feel underpowered on the 21’ boat, but seems like a stout motor. More low end torque than either of my ProMax 225s, and pulls all the way up into the upper 6000 rpm range. I don’t have much time with it, but seems like a good motor right now. Only has 72 hours on it. And old man owned it and rarely used it.
Also, fuel mileage is considerably better than either of my Promax’s. I don’t like that the opti is a more complicated design ie more to go wrong, but just run good fuel and oil, clean your fuel and air injectors every few years along with regular maintenance and they should last a long time.