92 GS Red Gelcoat colour code?

krank21

Hey there, this Saturday I’m picking up our new to us nearly mint 92 XS2003 Grand Sport and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s near mint but there are a few slight blemishes I want to take care of in order to return it to its mint state.

A few spider cracks around the rear handle and some very small chips at the lip of the pad which are all fairly easy being white, but one is just below the bumper strip in the lower part othe red section.

Does anyone out there have an exact colour code for the red gelcoat that ai could use to order?

Hope you can help, I’d really like to get it back to its pristine condition. Also, does anyone know if it’s possible to get all new badging and stickers for the hull and trailer?

Thanks in advance!

Roger

F908BA95-F1BE-42EE-A7E0-CD19333C8162.jpegF9321137-27FB-461E-9B76-0AE486629A3F.png42B47AC7-4F2F-4400-B632-1200512C2511.png

krank21

First welcome to the otherside...Call the factory, they will help. Noticed you have one of "those" other then Mercury engines. So do I...:blah::deadhorse::LMAO:
Hahaha indeed I do, thanks for the info and the welcome! I can’t wait to get it home and out on the water. Been wanting a GS for a long time and this one came up in my area, had to have it.

krank21

Hey SLOmofo, sorry, not familiar with some terminology. I'm assuming you're referring to the guides on either side of the boat? I'll post shots as soon as it's home. I'm picking it up early morning Saturday.

Actually question for you, this is my first pad boat. How different from a typical V is it to handle? I'm used to a shorter 16 ft sidewinder that does just shy of 60mph, this will take some time to get used to I'm sure, it's a pretty big step up. I'm no stranger to chine walking but 55mph on the 16 was as simple as hitting the trim and letting off the gas. From what I have seen or read so far, letting off the gas is a no no at higher speeds... Any advice you might want to share?

Jr in Jax

You will love the Grandsport, mine is often actually more fun than flying an Hi-per aerobatic airplane.

There is no time above 80 that you can give it less than 100% of your attention. When the boat is fully on the pad, there are many factors that can cause it to fall off. When you feel it is starting to fall off [not after it does] a slight yank on the wheel will use centrifugal force to get it back on it. Too much/little or too late and the boat will wobble from side to side.

Like I said, the secret is 100% attention at speed, due to many 95% pilots sell theirs after it scares them....

Call Bill at Allison for your gel coat or most other parts for it. I buy Gel coat every year to repair the damage I do to mine each summer. Their parts prices are very reasonable too.

krank21

You will love the Grandsport, mine is often actually more fun than flying an Hi-per aerobatic airplane.

There is no time above 80 that you can give it less than 100% of your attention. When the boat is fully on the pad, there are many factors that can cause it to fall off. When you feel it is starting to fall off [not after it does] a slight yank on the wheel will use centrifugal force to get it back on it. Too much/little or too late and the boat will wobble from side to side.

Like I said, the secret is 100% attention at speed, due to many 95% pilots sell theirs after it scares them....

Call Bill at Allison for your gel coat or most other parts for it. I buy Gel coat every year to repair the damage I do to mine each summer. Their parts prices are very reasonable too.
Fantastic info Jr in Jax, thanks so much for the input. I guess the key is to slowly graduate to the pad and get a good feel overall before getting into hot water at high speeds. I'm assuming lower speeds would handle like a typical V? Hard cornering and what not would be just the same as long as you're not up on the pad? I will reach out about the gel coat once I get the boat in the driveway. Do you buy it pre-color matched? If so that's fantastic.

I can't want to get on the water with this thing. I've been dreaming about owning one since first I spotted one. :)

Thanks again for the feedback! Cheers

gmorgan

To get the gelcoat colors exact will take some slight tinting has been my limited experience. I guess sun and water exposure over the years cause some slight color changes. Larger areas are easier to get to blend in, also, than small nicks or scrapes.

SLOmofo

I copied and pasted this from another post I replied to.

"When I was learning. Balance the boat. Look at it from the rear while tied at the dock and make it level. I bought a RV curved level and glued it to the lip of the dash so it is always in easy view. Now you can sit and see if it's close with you in the seat. Rearrange the stuff you will always carry to get it level. Put the boat on plane and play with the trim at low speeds.. you'll see/feel the boat lean to each side as you trim "in" and "out".
I started at around 50 mph and drove around the lake thru and over all the different conditions I could encounter. Trim in and out "getting a/the feel for what happens". Increase speed 5 mph and do it all over again. Increase 5 mph again and again. At some point the boat will start to chine walk at the trim and speed you are going. Just back out of the throttle and ease back up to that speed.
At this point you will have to learn to drive by your senses, sight and inner ear balance. I do not look at the bow of the boat, I concentrate on the far shore or horizon. As soon as the boat leans, horizon tilts give the steering wheel a small bump to counteract the walk. Looking ahead gives you a larger scope. If you watch the bow your reaction(input) is way to late and you already way behind in reacting to the lean.
Trim it in...trim it out. Bump..bump. Back out and do it again.
Wax on wax off little grasshopper.
The time you put in now will make you an Allison boat driver. Trying to bull your way thru will make you an Ex Allison owner."

krank21

I copied and pasted this from another post I replied to.

"When I was learning. Balance the boat. Look at it from the rear while tied at the dock and make it level. I bought a RV curved level and glued it to the lip of the dash so it is always in easy view. Now you can sit and see if it's close with you in the seat. Rearrange the stuff you will always carry to get it level. Put the boat on plane and play with the trim at low speeds.. you'll see/feel the boat lean to each side as you trim "in" and "out".
I started at around 50 mph and drove around the lake thru and over all the different conditions I could encounter. Trim in and out "getting a/the feel for what happens". Increase speed 5 mph and do it all over again. Increase 5 mph again and again. At some point the boat will start to chine walk at the trim and speed you are going. Just back out of the throttle and ease back up to that speed.
At this point you will have to learn to drive by your senses, sight and inner ear balance. I do not look at the bow of the boat, I concentrate on the far shore or horizon. As soon as the boat leans, horizon tilts give the steering wheel a small bump to counteract the walk. Looking ahead gives you a larger scope. If you watch the bow your reaction(input) is way to late and you already way behind in reacting to the lean.
Trim it in...trim it out. Bump..bump. Back out and do it again.
Wax on wax off little grasshopper.
The time you put in now will make you an Allison boat driver. Trying to bull your way thru will make you an Ex Allison owner."

Thanks for this SLOmofo, I really appreciate it and will most definitely use this approach.

krank21

Great looking boat Roger! Not sure where you are in Ontario but there's a great run on the Otonabee River this Sunday morning.
Thanks xr6!

The days are getting longer and longer waiting to pick it up this Saturday :D. That’s not that far from me actually, I’m in Carleton Place, just under 200 km.

Doubt I can make it out this time around but I’d love to next year It’ll give me some tine to settle into this thing a bit

SLOmofo

"Does it having the pad make it more likely to hook?"

The "Pad" is the bottom running surface of the boat. The "Lip" is the very end of the pad. In my case/boat there is very little remaining of the Lip.
IMHO the slight turning angle you have to input to the steering to counter act prop torque is causing the hull to slightly crab to the right. If the hull drops into the water, it being at an angle to straight ahead forward movement the boat now is in a right turn.
I'm sure that others have a more accurate description than mine. All I know is when it starts to go around hang on and....

Jr in Jax

Great explanation, just let me add that when the sharp deadrise in the bow drops into the water, the deadrise acts like having a rudder dropped in front of the bow . The boat pivots around the "rudder" , the bow submerges [less flotation there] and the engine/stern pivot like a Batter swinging a bat [Bat Turn].

I have had mine submerged all the way to the windshield with the engine almost vertical in the air. The Grandsport is the best hull for surviving a Bat Turn since the driver sits so deep inside the hull. I used to do them all the time [60+] but my rebuilt shoulder now hurts for weeks after the 5+ G force against the cockpit of the boat. Probably the worst case would be one happening in shallow water, which could snap the hull in half.

krank21

Hey, you know I'm new to this group, and I'd just like to tell you all how much I appreciate the amount of feedback and info you've all been sending. It's great to feel like I can work through some of the newness of this boat with all of you. That said, as I read more and more about this Bat Turn scenario I can't say that I've ever experienced anything like this so I need to ask. Should I be freaked out about this or is it just a matter of awareness and taking it good and slow to get the feel of things before pushing anything.

To put things into context of what i'm currently used to. I've been driving an 80s 16 sidewinder that does near 60 on a really good day and I can trim down and put that thing right on it's side to bank a turn doing 50 without giving much through at all of what might happen. If I don't trim down quite enough, I might get a few hard hits as the hull steps out and skips but it would never feel like it wants to turn on end.

I know this GS is a completely different animal and will definitively demand much higher respect and attention at the speeds it can hit, I wouldn't dare do anything of the sort with it. However, I do hope It can handle hard enough turns at lowers speeds. Is it the case or will it be less agile in that manner? I can sort of understand the dynamics of the bat turn scenario based on your explanation but doing one at 40 makes me wonder if I should keep the sidewinder for horse play LOL (not really an option, we need to pay down the Allison :p).

Bottom line is, I do hope it can carve as well as straight line if kept at lower speeds... actually now that I think of it, how is a pad for turning?... I have a lot to learn :/

Thanks again all, I really appreciate all of your inputs, this is really valuable for me.

SLOmofo

"Should I be freaked out about this or is it just a matter of awareness and taking it good and slow to get the feel of things before pushing anything."

No. Just be aware.
Could doesn't mean will.
The 40mph was a fluke. Climbed over a big wake and as it was teetering and fell over the bow grabbed when the skag was out. It was a shock nothing more. One of the few times I had a passenger in my boat and after it happened I asked if he was OK and stated that the boat had just hooked. He said that he just thought I had turned the boat nothing more.
I would suggest NOT to carry passengers when learning, one for their safety but also people tend to move around suddenly thus throwing things out of balance. You need your concentration on the task at hand. Fun cruise sure but keep it down. Do not tell your wife/girl friend of the possibility period, that is unless you do not want them to ever go out in the boat with you.
You will be surprised just how well these hulls will turn when you tell them to. Just don't run into the center bouys going around them. LOL... I say this because I almost did...once.

RiverRat71

Like SLO said, best to learn to drive the boat by yourself. If you take passengers out just be conservative with the trim & keep it below 60 or so & you shouldn't have any problems. I had never driven a boat that didn't have a tiller handle before my GS & haven't hooked mine yet. You will notice the boat drives better with a passenger & even better with passengers in the back seat. The feel of my boat is really starting to come to me now but it did take several trips out. Once you start getting the feel & start getting some good speed just give yourself room to slow down really slow until you learn the limits of how fast you can trim down & come out of the throttle. I am still a newbie too but maybe this will help. RR