300 XS?

GPI Racing

Not to burst anyones bubble but, Being a High Perf Dealer I have heard of nothing at all. (300XS) Just the 225 sport XS. They are working on HP Verado types but we all have told them if they make $25000 high perf outboards nobody will buy them. (at least most people I know) The local Ckeckmate guy has a 23 ft with a 350mag and trailer for $35K retail! Big block runs a few thou more. We've told them they must not price themselves out of the game. Time will tell...

Randy

Strokerga

GPI you and i agree over the cost if people were going to have say 20k motors then everyone would have had 300x motors before these came out, Merc is pricing themself out of the game they have got to get the cost down, just my 2 cents worth Strokerga

yellow20xd

I was told yesterday by a Merc Mechanic that he was told there is several on factory race boats now being tested. He claims they are pushing 330hp

GPI Racing

Mercury is not running any factory race boats. I've been friends with an engineer who works on all the outboard "projects". No 300,330 or anything else. Now they ARE working on a race version of the Verado. Different clamp bracket and upwards of 400hp. Target is the offshore market. The "race" 4 cylinder Verado is already kicking 250+ hp and moving towards the 300hp goal. We should have something by 2007 model year. He has been on these projects for the last 2 1/2 years.

Think about this, why would they develope an engine package that will sell less than 100 units and base it on an engine group that they are fazing out. Less than 150 2.5 race engines of ALL types were sold world wide per year. Not the biggest market.

I'm writing all this not to boast or something just to give you guys some real info that I deal with everyday. I'm on the phone several times a week about this subject and others so I felt compelled to write here.

Randy

Leigh

Randy,
Thanks for posting straight up info for us. I for one appreciate you taking your time to offer your expertise to all of us. If anyone should know what is happening at Mercury guys, Randy should. This is his bread and butter.

We should pride ourselves that we count Randy and GPI as one of our own here at Allisonowners.com.

Thanks Randy!

Leigh

GPI Racing

I'm posting about this because , I for one, would love for them to have big/fast motors. I'm always putting my foot (or mouth, or ear) in as many places as I can. If the 300XS was on the cards I'd have a couple on order. There was talk but it would just be a glorified 250XS anyhow. This stuff is HUGELY important because if it goes away, I'm out of job. Side note: We are working on a E-Tec project that I got roped into that, surprizingly, is quite good. The engines I have to work with have responded to everything we've done and so far run exellent. The only info I can let out (so far) is the project is 10mph faster than the baseline we started with. The motors were not horsepower modified, just drivetrain enhanced. The project should be finished by early winter and then I can elaborate. Point is there may be some alternatives to these motors we are all familiar with. Not trying to burst any bubbles but some exciting things are coming in the next 2-3 years. Expensive, but our sport isn't dead yet. Thanks for the comments and I'll share any info I get.

Randy

J

John Richied

Darris and the Allison factory sure look like they got their new line up of hulls out right on time...