3 Allisons, All Down

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well, just got back from the delta and now I am 3 for 3.

XS-2003: Fried #6. Powerhead wasted.
XR-2001: Gearcase being repaired; ECU being recurved.

XB-2003: This weekend: 280 started running erratically above 6200 rpm. Nothing major; just some barely perceptible tach fluctuation. Just would not pull consistently through the range of 6200 to wide open. Seemed like if you backed off the gas for a second, it would recover and pull hard.

I should have known something was up when I couldn't break 90 with a 26ET and a full load. With a 26 Trophy last March I could get 92.7, and the ET felt like it had as much if not greater lift compared to that. But 89.6, 89.7 was all I could tick off, hitting 74-7600 rpm. At no time did the EGT's go over 1100 nor the temp pass 145.

I was out fishing with my son and wasn't trying to break any records anyway, the holeshot was awesome and the motor idled like a kitten, so I didn't give it much thought.

Then later this afternoon, just for fun I slapped on the 24P yammie copy made by Performance Props of Soddy Daisy. This was the first time I had run this prop and it didn't disappoint. Figured if all was well, I could put it on the 8400 limiter. It pulled out of the hole like a striped-a$$ed ape but as soon as we hit 6200 the herky jerky crap started again. So enough of this; cut the losses early and head for the trailer while she still runs! Ever been there?

At some point around 2400 rpm I became aware of a "SCREECH" coming from behind me...that COULDN'T be the motor, right? The sentence from the shop manual scrolled across my vision like the ticker on MSNBC....."A Chirping sound at acceleration usually means the rod bearings are galled from excessive no-load idle conditions....."

So I slow down and mash the pedal again..."SCREE!! Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!" SAY it ain't so!!

This ain't bearings, I think to myself (best work at denial)...it sounds like a belt slipping. Popped on the Lowrance voltage window, sure enough, voltage at 11.6 and no increase with rpm. No charging.

Long story shorter, back at the ramp found the $%#&! tensioning idler adjustment bolt sheared off and GONE, just broke clean off at the block. what's worse, 2 out of 3 ECU attachment bolts were gone. Found the broke idler bolt and its washer, found ONE of the two missing ECU bolts and its aluminum stepped-washer friend. But the last ECU bolt and washer are GONE and I can't find them anywhere. We looked over that motor for over an hour, tipped it, shook it, stuck fingers between PH and pan, shift linkage, I'm tellin ya that bolt and washer are outta here and I don't know where.

Gee, do ya think they're stuck in a reed cage, waiting their final destination?

The SCREECH was the belt slipping; it was still in place and the alternator was hot as a firecracker from the friction (I guess).?

Anybody else ever have this happen? (Idler arm bolt shear off clean.) WHY would this happen?

Stay tuned for more high drama, "Removing broke bolt that's 271 locktited in place with an EZ-out"....

alli ss

03bignasty just had his alternator bolts sheared off. sorry you havin all that bad luck lou. at least this ain't a week before the WAR

FLYING BUTCHER

Lou

Ok now you have out done me!!! I thought with six rebuilds on one engine I had the all time record!! Damn man I am soory as hell to hear of the moter problem, I know like you guys need a book to keep up with WHICH enigne are we atlking about. Tell me this ISN"T he one from Randy is it? Lets try to recap the 260 is down, you still have the 200 that was on Rule one, it is ok isn't it? UNBELIEVABLE!! I would say it can't get worse but for us I am not sure. Hope it isn't to bad. Keep us informed, If you get a chance shoot me an e-mail, Misery loves company

GPI Racing

Naw Bill this is his other motor. The one that "hasn't" given hiccups. It has to be the air in Calif. C.A.R.B. must have put something out that eats two strokes. Hopefully the parts didn't find the airhorn and all will be ok.

Randy

M-Wiggy

Dang Lou......You scare me with this talk !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Motor problems are my worse fear. I've popped 2 in my time, and that always equals much money, and headaches.

Which motor did Jay fix for ya?

RedAllison

I believe Yoda would put it something like this... "STUPID is this one hmmmmm?" :p

LLDoggg remember da days when you had the solo 03 with a lil duece ana qwatuh SS oner tail and she ran like a sewin machine and you spent plenty of time on the water with your family and havin fun??? :wink:

Now "Admiral Lou, Commander of the Pacific Alli Fleet" has a stable full of hotrods and they poppin mills like flies on a picnic! :roll:

Sell em and "get back to da basics" or get useta spendin money and missin time on the water with da kids and dat lovely honey you tell everyone is yo wife... :twisted:

There's a reason all us fat old family dudes are floatin around watchin the youngsters blazin by with their hotrods like their arses are on fire!!!

Know whut Im sayin?
RA

XB21er

Lou,

That sucks- your acronym for BOAT is now Bust Out Another THREE Thousand. But how was the fishing? LOL. Get one of them motors fixed by Sept we're coming up there.

Craig

badbait

Craig you say your coming up this way in Sept. If you don't mind a extra boat taging along let me know when your coming. I'm sure Lou will be up and running by then.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Getting crap from RedAllison: Two Cents :shock:

Hearing your son say, "Man, Dad this boat sure takes off alot faster than that RED one in Tennessee" : Priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:

badbait

Careful Lou, you may be needing a ride in Tn. next year. Sorry to here your having trouble. Have you had a chance to hook it up to that tester of yours to see what the problem is.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
LOL Bill, Ol' Red knows I'm just smackin...but he DID repo my cooler and duallie folding chair! :D

Oh yeah...the tester...I loaned it to Lars.

Jerry and Brother, yep you guys are right, the Allisons never break, just those sixpacks in the back...and the three wives..I won't even GO there :shock:

RedAllison

Lets see how fast those 3 take off now that they are dead and sittin on trailers in the backyard!!! :p

Hotrods=hot women, they are ALL na$ty habit$ and I am gonna encourage my sons to become monks and take vows of celibacy.
RA

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Good point! And the sons will probably listen as much as we did... :lol:

Wait! There's still the 1977 HydraSports (a "splash" of that green thing we see every year at Douglas) with a monster inline 6 that won't die.

45 mph, here I come! :lol:

RedAllison

Doggg NOW you're talkin, take it old school. Put dat tower of power on the GS and have some reliable fun in the 70s...

Aint a hair on your... :p
RA

GotMyAlly

Hotrods=hot women, they are ALL na$ty habit$ and I am gonna encourage my sons to become monks and take vows of celibacy.
Locking 'em in the basement till they are 40 is probably more effective...

JaySmithRacing

Broke bolts

Make sure the bolt that sheared is replaced with grade 8 or better Lou......Don't put the same grade bolt that sheared BACK in or your looking for a re "pete" performance with that one too......

Jay@ JSRE