280 water pressure and engine temp

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Guys,
As my 280 is new to me, I had a couple of questions;
1) what engine temp do they like to run at. what normal operating temp should call for concern?
2) what is normal water pressure at 5000 rpm and above?
3) what size diameter water tube should it have?

I'm getting 20+ lbs at speed. Its even very good at idle. Water pump is new.
My tell tale tube is 3/8" but I don't know what size diameter comes up from water pump. (can't see it).
Engine temp is between 130 and 145. Sits fairly consistent around 140 and thats with running consistently above 6000 but no more than 7500rpm. Is this all normal?

Thanks!

zatchmo

Hey Guys,
As my 280 is new to me, I had a couple of questions;
1) what engine temp do they like to run at. what normal operating temp should call for concern?
2) what is normal water pressure at 5000 rpm and above?
3) what size diameter water tube should it have?

I'm getting 20+ lbs at speed. Its even very good at idle. Water pump is new.
My tell tale tube is 3/8" but I don't know what size diameter comes up from water pump. (can't see it).
Engine temp is between 130 and 145. Sits fairly consistent around 140 and thats with running consistently above 6000 but no more than 7500rpm. Is this all normal?

Thanks!
That all sounds normal, and you should have a 3/4" water tube between the lower unit and the adapter plate. 20+ psi is good, but keep an eye out for anything over about 35. That will tell you you have a blockage further down from the heads. 280s don't run poppet valves and just dump tons and tons of water.

Enjoy that motor, they are a BLAST!!!:beer:

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Zatch, thanks for the info. Just looking for a piece of mind. 20+ seemed excessive to me. How can I easily check the tube dimension going to adapter plate?
Also, I guess if I had a blockage, engine temp would increase. So, I will keep an eye on engine temp. And 140 seems ok to you?

And yes, this motor is a blast! Unbelievable performance difference compared to my 225PM.

zatchmo

Hey Zatch, thanks for the info. Just looking for a piece of mind. 20+ seemed excessive to me. How can I easily check the tube dimension going to adapter plate?
Also, I guess if I had a blockage, engine temp would increase. So, I will keep an eye on engine temp. And 140 seems ok to you?

And yes, this motor is a blast! Unbelievable performance difference compared to my 225PM.
You will have to drop the lower unit to check the size of the water tube. I wouldn't worry about it at this point as long as everything seems normal. If you have to take the lower unit off for another reason at some point then you can check it. 140 seems ok to me. Mine runs a little bit cooler, but I run in really cold water. 50-MAYBE 60F is about the warmest our river ever gets. The overheat horn sounds at I believe 185.

Terry McLeod

The water pressure on my 02 280 is just above 10 psi at WFO. No reading at idle. Been that way since day one on both Medallion and Beede water pressure gauges.
Don't monitor temp.

michael j giesler

a 280 at wot between 10-15 lb's normal if you have 20 your motor will be fine so how are you liking the 280 i'm going to fire up old Betsy next week she's like a timex:big grin

280ALLY

Ok now I get it, I was wondering where you guys got all those cool temp 280's then saw you were all from way up north. Middle of February & we'll still hit 140 on the temp here, but the water is also above 50 degrees here. 0lbs at idle,5 lbs at 3k,10-15lbs while running above 5k on the tach is normal, crack the throttle & it'll jump up a little more also.

Bobalouie

The water pressure on my 02 280 is just above 10 psi at WFO. No reading at idle. Been that way since day one on both Medallion and Beede water pressure gauges.
Don't monitor temp.
Mine is the same way, no reading at idle and I have about 8lbs going about 50 mph. Temps run about 140-150 most of the time, but on a hot day high speed pass I have seen up to 165-170.

Jus' Giv'r

hmmmm....so it seems my temp is fine just the water pressure is high, but not unnormal