280 on a GS!

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Guys,
Who has or has been in a GS with a 280? I'm thinking that route instead of PM mods. Also, are ya running 20 or 15 mid, year, Consumer or ROS box...etc? I would really like to know your likes and dislikes, performance, props...etc?
Thanks for your input!!
gary

Jus' Giv'r

I know have had posts on 15" mids and PM mods on the GS, but I'm still on the fence as it's a lot of extra $. So, just need to hear from anyone that has this set-up so ya can push me off the fence...one way or the other....
Maybe there are not a lot of GS's with 280's....?

Allyfishing

Hi Jus' Giv'r
I'm sorry I can't give you any info on a GS but I noticed you looking to get one instead of modding the PM. I was on the phone yesterday with a fella that is building me a 225 Promax by the name of Tooter and after BS'ing a while in the conversation he mentioned he has a cherry 280 to rebuild. He said it is in so nice a shape all it needs is top pinned pistons, bearings rings etc. He said the motor actaully looks new. If ya want his number I can give it to ya. He is an Allison owner but I don't think its a GS.
Craig :big grin

Jus' Giv'r

Hi Jus' Giv'r
I'm sorry I can't give you any info on a GS but I noticed you looking to get one instead of modding the PM. I was on the phone yesterday with a fella that is building me a 225 Promax by the name of Tooter and after BS'ing a while in the conversation he mentioned he has a cherry 280 to rebuild. He said it is in so nice a shape all it needs is top pinned pistons, bearings rings etc. He said the motor actaully looks new. If ya want his number I can give it to ya. He is an Allison owner but I don't think its a GS.
Craig :big grin
Yeah, that would be great. I do have my eye on a couple. Could ya PM me his # please and thank you. I will call him today.
gary

mikesufka

Talk to Mike Waldera in South Dakota. He's got a beautiful Grandsport with a 280. It's his second Grandsport. The first boat had a 200 ProV Yamaha (which I later bought and have since sold). He's on this board now and again.

I had a Grandsport with a Merc 260 too. Fun boat.

I'll send him this link. Hope he responds.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30 w/Twin 300 Mercs

Last edited:

Jus' Giv'r

Talk to Mike Waldera in South Dakota. He's got a beautiful Grandsport with a 280. It's his second Grandsport. The first boat had a 200 ProV Yamaha. He's on this board now and again.

I had a Grandsport with a 2.5 260. Fun boat.

I'll send him this link. Hope he responds.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30 w/Twin 300 Mercs
Thanks Mike. I've boated with Mark that bought your GS. Thats a nice sounding Yammy. Mark spoke highly of you..... Thanks for the help.

michael j giesler

I've got a 2001 ally gs elete with a 2.5 280 20" with 12" setback I bought new in 2001 there is not that big of a differnce from a 280 to a promax other than the midrange punch top speed will never be faster than 106 and a 280 will cost way more $$$$ when you want to rebuild it my 280 has 200 + hours on it still runs like new your promax will do a 100 with very little mods if you have any more questions ask away:very happy

whipper

Gary go 250XS or 300xs or 300X. The 300X can be made to be 455 lbs. Just secure two bags of lead shot in the bow and good to go really fast!!
MadEFI has a 15inch mid to bring the COG down and a light carbon cowl + take the oil injection system off,Flash the ECU and good to go 112mph. 110 with 4 persons. Also pulling a skier would be a snap.
I would say the XS motors but harder to get light just yet. Also I talked to Wayne Worthy yesterday at HydroTec and he has a 460 lb 375+hp 16inch mid stage 111 for sale right now at his shop. He had one more stage 111 light one also around the 325hp mark. He said the 375hp motor would pull 5 skiers up at once.
I wouldnt be afriad of putting a 455lb motor on. Its only 10 lbs more than the warning from Darris and 3.0LT in the 300X. The guy I knew with the 300PM on his GS said it was awsome and his was full weight stock. When I can aford it Ill be doing one of the above. Also the guys running the 250XS on there XB2003 all have been saying they run great on there hulls. I think approched with the respect and caution to the wind setup thoughtfully a resonsable owner could really have a blast with one of these setups. Thats my thought on it anyway. Im like you just cant see myself re ringing every 150-200 hours. If I had a mechanic within 800 miles might consider a 260 or 280 but theres not. I get over 150 hours a year in easy 3-7 days a week of boating. I need a motor that can go at least 500 hours between ring jobs.

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Whipper, great ideas. Thanks, now I have to start all over again...LOL
Can you PM me the Hydrotec contact info?
thanks

FlatOutAlly

Go Merc or give up. Sorry Whipper, but all you're upchucking ( as usual ) is speculation about which you only have hearsay about. Please shut up or go back into your igloo. :punch

These boats DO NOT work well with heavier motors. Ask Darris. It's his design and he KNOWS...

Advice like this WILL get someone hurt. If you want to try it, fine. Just don't advocate it when you haven't done it.

Jus' Giv'r

I've got a 2001 ally gs elete with a 2.5 280 20" with 12" setback I bought new in 2001 there is not that big of a differnce from a 280 to a promax other than the midrange punch top speed will never be faster than 106 and a 280 will cost way more $$$$ when you want to rebuild it my 280 has 200 + hours on it still runs like new your promax will do a 100 with very little mods if you have any more questions ask away:very happy
Thanks for the info. So, is yours the ros or consumer box? offshore mid or regular bass mid? What prop and lower you have?
I have a 225 PM and can go 91 or 92 with 2 people. I've been told 100 is not achievable with very little mods as you say? Also, I thought the acceleration difference would be night and day?
But I do know they will top out at around 105 and thats plenty fine with me. I have been told that that is also achievable with 3 or 4 adults?
Do you disagree with this. You should know, you own one. Also, how does yours idle and shift? Thanks again.

mikesufka

Thanks for the info. So, is yours the ros or consumer box? offshore mid or regular bass mid? What prop and lower you have?
I have a 225 PM and can go 91 or 92 with 2 people. I've been told 100 is not achievable with very little mods as you say? Also, I thought the acceleration difference would be night and day?
But I do know they will top out at around 105 and thats plenty fine with me. I have been told that that is also achievable with 3 or 4 adults?
Do you disagree with this. You should know, you own one. Also, how does yours idle and shift? Thanks again.
Just my opinion, but I think if you want to go fast, you've got the wrong boat. The XB2002 or Supersport is more forgiving over 100 MPH. And, why I personally wouldn't own another Grandsport with a 260 or 280. Keep your promax.

Mike

XSive

Just my opinion, but I think if you want to go fast, you've got the wrong boat. The XB2002 or Supersport is more forgiving over 100 MPH. And, why I personally wouldn't own another Grandsport with a 260 or 280. Keep your promax.

Mike
I agree. It's a great boat to 90......But you still have to respect it and giving rides to unsuspecting people without a great life jacket at those speeds isn't advised.

whipper

I said used with Caution and repect! I was just pointing out some other options lighter than what is already being done. Theres guys running heavier motors succesfully from what I read. The options i was refering to are 50 lbs lighter than what guys are setting up on there 03,s. I am not speculating about the 300PM I talked to Gary for hours on the phone on many occation about his 300PM on his GS. Im just pointing out what guys like Bill,Jeff,Gary and a few others have done incase he wasnt up to speed on the setups being tried. I thought I was only trying to help with some setup options that I will try as soon as I can afford it that are lighter than the full 505lbs already being used. Ive talk to lots of differant people including Darris about this. These boats were desgined with a 2.5 in mind because there was no other real options and no ratcheting gear set for the 3.0lt,s. That doesnt mean there isnt other setups that will work in my opinion. The guys that are trying the new setups with the XS motor seem to like them it seems? I am liery but optamistic that a motor closer to what darris says to be the max wieght might work best? The 2.5 XS for that one year they made them is 450lbs. I didnt realize they were that heavy untill i saw a spec sheet last night on them. So even that motor doent fall into all the criteria Darris set. Its 2.5LTs but still to heavy?

If I had a the knowhow to rering a 2.5 I would have a 260 right now. Because I dont and theres no good mechanic that doesnt know more than me close enough to me i need a motor that will go 500+hrs between pistons. Thats the only reason these other motors are atractive to me. I hate the wieght!! But they are getting lighter every year by aftermarket gurus. Every one should as Fatout says be very very carefull when attempting to try anything the Manufacture deems unsafe!! You really must approch these kind of things with great care because they can and will kill you!​

Last edited:

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Guys, I appreciate everyones comments and ideas. I don't think anyone would ever run out and do something without researching first and having professional feedback. I'm looking for all the ideas and then I make a list and sort through the choices. I do this with the family (my boys are older) and it gets everyone involved.
As far as the GS, no doubt I would enjoy a SS more for speed, but the GS was mandatory by the family for everything else. I would be happy with 102, I just want to get there as fast as I can.....LOL. Mike, I'm definitely not showing my wife your post..lmao. But I appreciate your honesty.
Also, there are never any unsuspecting passengers in my boat or anyone without proper vests. And its mostly 2 up and always like-minded people.
I started a new thread on Hydro Tec vs Merc. I thought it would be a great topic to debate or discuss while I await my ice to thaw. :beer:

racerx

I agree what Mike said above,there only good for under 100,if you want to go 105,you get an SS,if you want to go faster,and safer,step up and buy a xr2002,thats the rankings,heck a xb2002 is faster and safer than an ss at 105 and above..The Grand Sport is the true cruiser of allisons,justt keep it safe with what you have..

michael j giesler

I've run et and chopper2 I run a chopper 2 worked by DAH props with me by myself all day 99-103 with two people 95-100 all day yes i've had three people doing 100 but condtion have to be just right:big grin

michael j giesler

I forgot I have a sportmaster with the swept skeg that Jeff Baker did for me boat drive way different than my ss-comp and you can't let just anybody drive it gs are harder to drive at 100 compared to an ss if speed is what your looking for than a xr-2002 is your boat:smile

Jus' Giv'r

I've run et and chopper2 I run a chopper 2 worked by DAH props with me by myself all day 99-103 with two people 95-100 all day yes i've had three people doing 100 but condtion have to be just right:big grin
Michael - What rpm are you doing and what ecu do you have consumer or ros? Also, did you say you had an offshore mid? And is your 280 completely stock? Does it idle and shift ok? Thanks again