27 Q4 XOB scene 2!!!

The Cashew Kid

Neal, we could get that done and test it at Columbus next weekend and when Red gets back in town he'd be set.:big grin:big grin

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Darris went into great detail (as he does with most things) with me about the design features that he has had Robbie incorporate. He liked to talk about the blunted / rounded nose which seems to fly in the face of reason but in a liquid environment it actually reduces drag considerably at speed, AND makes for smoother and more consistent water flow to the prop.

Red, fugget the warranty, you'll save more in fuel (potentially) to offset the cost of any lower unit problem which is unlikely anyway.

R

Redding XB21

My Lu had the mods done to it and a VERY EXPIERENCED Allison driver commented that mine is alot easier to drive than another 21 without the mods done to it. There was a mention of a crack after the mods are done so, I try to remember to check:embarassed. Except for that rubber thing sticking out :cuss
My top end is pretty clost to his w/out lots of tweaking stuff, props etc.

Gene

RedAllison

LLDoggg it taintda gearcase warranty I'm worried about, if the powerhead popped then I could see where the first "out" would be someone tweaking with the water intake!

As for cracks, I do NOT want anykind of cuts/welds on the skeg. I'm NOT going to do that. I'm gonna "grind/sand" a lil on what is there but no whoesale removal of material to weaken anything.

:beer:
RA

catfish123

I believe the welded on torque tab used to be part of the "Allison approved" modifications. The move towards hydraulic steering has changed the work he performs for boats equipped with that type of steering. Robbie performs excellent work, regardless of what it is he does.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
There was a mention of a crack after the mods are done so, I try to remember to check
Gene, far as I know, no cracks or breaks have eventuated when no welding has occurred, i.e. you should be safe with the "Baker" type of mod (removal of material from port, low-pressure side of skeg) like Robbie does. However, you are right on, it is a good practice to give the skeg an eye before each outing regardless of whether it is stock or not.

With welded torque tabs, it has long been held that it's not a question of IF the skeg will crack, only WHEN. But it is my belief that the welded tabs are stressed less on the lighter boats like the XR's and so they tend to live longer in those applications.

One other thing--since Robbie re-shapes the geometry of the skeg to 200 specs, in theory it might have less leverage to form a crack near the torpedo. Less lever-arm length.

RA, you're right, I hadn't thought about the L/U mods voiding the whole motor warranty. Funny....you're in the Caymans and I'm on Maui...:laughing And here we both are on these computers!

Also, the support brace to the bottom of the cav plate was not cut away, it is an illusion of the poorly-made photo.