27 Q4 XOB scene 2!!!

RedAllison

WOW, Todd my bro you OUTDUN YO SELF. Dat magic prop wand you wave would bring MILLION$ on the open market!!! :cuss

Today Dennis Kenny (TN XB-21), Neal Edwards (GotMyAlly), Jeff Brazil (Mercboy175) and myself took all our boats out and played on a small lake near Memphis. We started shortly after 10 and didn't come off the water until after 3!!!

Todd recently "de-graveled" my XOB and while he had it he played with the trailing edges and the tips. The best I had run previously was 82.2gps during my last club tourney blast-off last month. The holeshot was lacking and the steering torque felt about like it did back when I had cables on my old XB03. It likewise wouldn't let my engine spool up, the most I ever turned it prior was 5550ish.

BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! Today was perfect, winds N/NW @ 7-10mph, when we started it was about 60 and low humidity. (Elevation about 300ft) My boat was full with all my tackle, full cooler, I filled the livewell, 3/4+ tank of fuel and a 20# anchor.

The holeshot was AWESOME. Nailed it and it didn't bog, it didn't blowout, it just took off and kept accelerating all the way through. I didn't have it balanced so I was "fightinNleanin", quickly the gps read 84.7 into the wind and with throttle left. I was smiling!!!

We then ran several props on Dennis' boat. (I'll let him add from his notes.)

Then @ about 1 or so he and I climbed into my big red mosheen. I wasn't sure where to start with the prop so I started at 3/4" above. We ran 82.7gps.
So I then raised the plate a lil more, 83.8gps @ 5780, 22+#s of water.
I raised it a lil more. 84.3gps @ 5840, still over 22# of water!
I'm 240#s and Dennis says he's awfully close to that as well. I've got 150+#s of tackle, 10-12 rods, plenty of other crap including my 20# anchor, boarding ladder, 3 batteries, had 4 seats in the cockpit and a MK 80# Maxxum Pro on the bow.

I then raised the plate while running about 70 perpendicular to the wind just to see how much more travel I had or when it would loose water pressure. It mighta moved 1/4" when the water fell too 6#s. I blipped it back down and the pressure shot back into the 20s!

The prop also drives like a Hydromotive should and like a properly setup Aboat does with hydro steering... LIKE A DREAM!!! Smooooooth and light.

Dennis drove my boat a click or two over 80 (my rubrails are clean now! :laughing) and then he got into Neals XB03 for a ride.

So while solo I moved the anchor and my 60+# wormbag portside and then letter eat. I was HAPPY and smiling like a kid getting away with sumpin...

86.7gps, 24+#s water, 5790 @ 7.9 on my SmartCraft trim gage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer: By then the temps were about 70-72 and the wind was steady @ 10.

Darris told me with some gearcase mods, empty and in cool weather he really thought my 21 with the 225SportXS would run 90. I DON'T doubt him. If I completely stripped her, tweaked the case and skipped breakfast that mornin, I believe she would.

"Rainy Day Woman II" is probably up for the winter now, but I'll play with the gearcase before next season. :twisted evil I'm just TICKLED with my "BASS BARGE/225 85mph Tourney Boat"!!!
RA

XB21er

That's awesome RED ! :very happy. Yer getting it dialed in! Up for the winter? :sad It was 86 deg here today - unfortunately, well..it's SoCal :don't_care

R

Redding XB21

:smile Great Job, nothing is better than rippin along and having that hull talkin to ya! :cool It was great loafing along w/3 on board & tackle at 80 + using a borrowed{still in 1 piece} trophy.
Getting together w/Bill Sunday for installing the wedges & testing. Then its time to spend $$$$$
Gene:beer:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
RA, pull off the case and send it to Robbie Patterson. That will be good for 2-3 mph topend at the speeds you are running at!! You are fighting some serious addional drag with the stock sportmaster compared to when Robbie gets done with it!!!

Here's what he does:

1) Fills in the starboard water inlet so seamlessly it looks like it was never there

2) re-shapes the skeg to Darris' spec; more like a 200 fin

3) Does the "Baker" mod

4) Blunts/rounds the nose of the SM to improve water flow and reduce drag!! (Comes back looking like the nose on a 747) Like a marble.

5) Goes over the whole thing with a D/A and it looks brand new! :beer:

All this for $350....

Put HP to work goin forward instead of crabbin,

Doggg

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Comin up Neal...I was offline all weekend and just catching up.

RedAllison

Ok I woke up early this morning and rather than drink coffee and waste my time listening too the libbies bash our country more on the early morning shows I did something MUCH more productive. I went out in the garage and measured my gearcase height! (ONLY an Alli owner can be THIS meticulous, or is that CRAZY? :confused: ) Michelle was like, "WTH are you doing?" :rolling eyes

I had not moved my plate since running the other day so I wanted to see where I ended up. I wasn't as high as I initially thought, but still well above pad. The center of my propshaft was exactly 16" above the floor of my garage, 4" in front of the pad lip measured 16 5/8" above the floor. I checked the SmartCraft gage to see my trim level as well (had a magnetic level on the propshaft) and the gage read 7.6. Looking through my notes I was running @ 7.9 when I ran the 86.7gps! "3 clicks" above dead level is AWFULLY effecient in my book! :wink

There is some more left, as I moved the plate up at lower speeds (70s) while still maintaing water pressure the other day. Next time I go out I might try it up some more. But I imagine, 1/8"-1/4" either side of 1/2" above is going to be the "sweet spot" for everything as I have it right now! :beer:

With the holidays and a hunting trip or two coming up between now and New Years I'm not sure if I'll get back on the water before then or not! So for now RDWII is "tucked away in her stall eatin oats".
RA

Blueally XB21

Hey Red, I was supprised the other day when you posted the higher gearcase heights. I was begining to wonder if the 3.0 litres where alot different with respect to pad heights than the 2.5's but it sounds like there are very close. I have never been able to run more than ~3/4" above the pad without losing speed with the loads I carry. The max height will very a little depending on load and fuel amount on mine (just feel it wit the seat of pants). As you would say, I'm some what overloaded as well. Those are some good numbers your running, these are some awesome boats. I've got to try some hydromotive props as well. My FnR sets me on a solid 84-85 everytime out with full fuel, tourney load and two men.

Great report!

Thanks,
Harvey

RedAllison

Harvey if you are interested in the "F&R" props then you'll be glad to know that Hydromotive builds a similar prop called the "Magnum Cut". It features two of their "X blades" which is the more rounded, load carrying/big boat blades like the prop on my rig. And the other two blades are similar too the cleaver style like those we used on the OTs that ran so well on 03s/225s.

Dennis Kenny tried it on his XB21 2+2/175Opti and it was the best prop so far. It was 1 mph faster than the cut and uncut Trophys he has, and several mph faster than the other Hmotives we tried. But the BIGGEST thing it did was give it that classic "Hmotive smooooooooooth ride and easy handling, quick holeshot and noticable acceleration"! Dennis noticed that right off and was like :beer: His rig is limited by the stock gearcase he has. The other Hmotive wheels wanted to run higher to show their stuff but we couldn't because the case would suck air and water pressure would drop. (LOL after driving my 225SportXS I think he might be trading motors rather than gearcases anyway! :twisted evil )

:at the bar
RA

Blueally XB21

Intresting, I didn't know Hydromotive made a prop simalar to the FnR. I am going to do some prop testing next year (I hope). I'll have to give Todd a call. I know Robbie is working on another new design also. The wife might shoot me next year for investing to much in props. :banghead She likes to fish and ride as much as I do so I'll survive that battle. (I hope :laughing)

I take it you didn't try the Magnum Cut on your boat? That would have been a good test. :smile

Thanks,
Harvey

froggy

Hey RA,

Based on your, early morning, prop shaft measurement you are running 5/8" BELOW the pad. Have you been saying that all along?

For a big ole boat she's running pretty good.

Nice to know about that 'mismatched' prop from Todd & Thom---they build neat stuff!

froggy

RedAllison

:confused: Frog now you got me ALL "discombobulated"!!!

Based on THOSE measurements you IS right. Now I gotta go home and REMEASURE everything lol. Hang in there, I'll get this chit right sooner or later... :banghead

TOLD YA it was early, I couldn't sleep but I wuzn't awake yet!!! :relax:
RA

ps
Hope you IS right, because it means the rig is that much more efficient and will be that much easier on props. BUT the downside is it means the Trophy I cracked was that much WEAKER because it certainly wasn't run as far above pad as I initially thought it was. I gotta go home and remeasure EVERYTHING now. I was working off a slip of paper I "THOUGHT" I measured properly right after getting RDWII. Now I'm sure THOSE increments are skewed (or is that SCREWED?) as well... :idiot

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
RA while you were out re-measuring the oat-eater I took these pics as requested by my bro Neal (sorry it took this long), of a Robbie Patterson modified sportmaster:

(See if you can find the Linda's Lakeside koozie).

RedAllison

lol LLDoggg I guess a "pen holder" IS a safe place for 'em, I seemed to have lost all mine! :very sad

Interesting pics Doggg, Neal your nose isn't tremendously different after your "HEAVY duty sanding/Hmotive" profiling. Perhaps you have a lil more "blade" on the leading edge of the nose itself. I DO like the closed off portside intake. Are the two remaining intakes enlarged? (I want to say Darris has told me before that he DOES have them opened.)

Neal now I see what you were trying to tell my dumbass on the ramp the other day about feathering the trailing portside edge of the skeg.

I plan on having sumpin similar by next spring! :beer:
RA

ps
Hey Doggg, I can't precisely tell from the pics, did Robbie do anything with the starboard side edge of the blowout ring???

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Are the two remaining intakes enlarged? (I want to say Darris has told me before that he DOES have them opened.)
I bleeve they is made bigga.