260 VS 280 GS for skiing

Darth VMAX

A motor to use for pulling skiiers AND run the top end you are craving is a lot to ask for out of a small-block outboard. The more displacement the better the torque for pulling skiiers but then you lose out the really high rpm power that you would want for top end (unless you want to run a very tall prop like the Stroker guys do. I am by NO means saying a 280 isn't up to the task (I have never skiid behind one). A Short shaft I think would not be as good either due to all the ideling when pulling skiiers (especially if you are pulling inexperienced skiiers)

just my .02

badbait

Whipper, I've got a 300 PM on one of my boats and have run it at least 50 hours a year for the last 8 years without a bit of trouble. I think there a great motor. I also had a 225 on a 21 Superboat. I sold the powerhead off the 225 and I'm putting on a 280 that I had JSRE build for me a few years back.
The reason I'm telling you this is it's pretty easy to make that conversion if you can sell your current powerhead to someone that has blown their 150, 175, 200, or 225. Then you buy a used powerhead. I think Lou Jones may have some good ones for sale. I have a 280 that has 260 electronics on it (no rev limiter) with less than 12 hours on it that I might sell. All it needs is your PCU and a 280 tuner.

Last edited:

whipper

Whipper, I've got a 300 PM on one of my boats and have run it at least 50 hours a year for the last 8 years without a bit of trouble. I think there a great motor. I also had a 225 on a 21 Superboat. I sold the powerhead off the 225 and I'm putting on a 280 that I had JSRE build for me a few years back.
The reason I'm telling you this is it's pretty easy to make that conversion if you can sell your current powerhead to someone that has blown their 150, 175, 200, or 225. Then you buy a used powerhead. I think Lou Jones may have some good ones for sale. I have a 280 that has 260 electronics on it (no rev limiter) with less than 12 hours on it that I might sell. All it needs is your PCU and a 280 tuner.
Bill thats always interested me and ive never asked that question before. I dont have the offshore exaust? I also use small shaft with my 20 incher. Buy just swaping out power heads to a 280 will the rest of the set up handle the power? I often wondered if the small shaft will have trouble with a 280? Is the exuast an issue? Also can i use my same trim setup. My two selenoids are in the front of the cowl. Thanks James

h2oskiier30

James,

The only thing you'd have to change out is powerheads, and adapter plates (I'm sure this is what Bill meant by "tuner"). The 260/280 requires a one piece adapter, while the ProMax's require a 2 piece. Everything else will work...trim, can, propshaft, cowl, clamp...everything. Your trim solenoids should be fine where they are even with the horn motor.

whipper

James,

The only thing you'd have to change out is powerheads, and adapter plates (I'm sure this is what Bill meant by "tuner"). The 260/280 requires a one piece adapter, while the ProMax's require a 2 piece. Everything else will work...trim, can, propshaft, cowl, clamp...everything. Your trim solenoids should be fine where they are even with the horn motor.
Thanks now you got me thinking.:banghead Good to know. James

jas638

Banned
just a question? can u use a one piece adapter and a 260 tuner on a promax or a 2.5 carb motor?or does it have to be a two piece and the stock tuner? please help.

h2oskiier30

just a question? can u use a one piece adapter and a 260 tuner on a promax or a 2.5 carb motor?or does it have to be a two piece and the stock tuner? please help.
I'm not going to say that you *can't*, but ProMax's generally cool better with the two piece adapter.

You can use a 260 tuner on a two piece adapter.

suicidealli

i wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!! a steel sleeve motor requires more heat to work properly... a nic motor needs less.... if you run a 260 cooling system plate on a pm you will have problems... unless it is a totally radical steel sleeve motor. i would run a stock pm plate, and cooling system..JMO

SSTOM

My 225pm I had wouldn't cool on a 2 peice plate put it on mt 1 peice and cooled fine. Sold motor to Dark Allison he also had to change to a 1 peice plate so it would cool. I have ran my steel and nic one peice plate without any problems. JMO Tom

badbait

I may be learning something here and I'm glad I posted what I did about this change over from a 225 to a 280. I just got all my gaskets and I'm still waiting for a couple of parts before I put this all back together. I will be running a 280 which will require the alien cowl and pan to house the alternator. My 225 had the old style cowl. The only other thing I did was change out the tuner for the one that comes on the 280. I am planning on running the two piece exhaust plate that was under my 225 Pro Max. What are the pros and cons of doing this? I was told by an engine builder that it would work fine. I'm at the perfect spot to make any changes since the powerhead has not been put on yet.

Jus' Giv'r

Hey Whipper,
Hope you had a good summer. After reading your post, we think alike...LOL
I have often thought about going to a 260/280 for those odd times you need the accel or top end. But always talk myself out of it due to reliability, longevity, fuel economy and what I call everyday manners.
So, I think I will let 'Yammer' just warm up the 225PM somewhat, heads, reeds, exhaust, etc and go with that. We got 91 on gps with 2 up this year running a 29srx but would like to get 95 with 2 up consistently with ease. Is it possible......with the 225pm.....
gary

whipper

Hey Whipper,
Hope you had a good summer. After reading your post, we think alike...LOL
I have often thought about going to a 260/280 for those odd times you need the accel or top end. But always talk myself out of it due to reliability, longevity, fuel economy and what I call everyday manners.
So, I think I will let 'Yammer' just warm up the 225PM somewhat, heads, reeds, exhaust, etc and go with that. We got 91 on gps with 2 up this year running a 29srx but would like to get 95 with 2 up consistently with ease. Is it possible......with the 225pm.....
gary
Sure its possable its just a matter of what you want to spend to do it. Thats were the reliability of the 225 might suffer? Also dollars and sents wise selling the 225 block and relpacing with a 280 block might be around the same price as the mods for the 225 to get less performance? Its around 1500-2500 differance for a 260 or 280. Some times even less if you get a great deal. I think a Brucato ACU,SVS,Heads,reeds is as far as I would go. Exhaust isnt going to get you anything but a louder motor. And for the cost of porting you might as well trade blocks I figure. Lightening the fly wheel is good but then you loose the great charging.

For me some new reeds are in order. At 94mph at my altidude is all I can get with the ACU and heads. I will need a 280 to get were I want to be. Boring a 225 to 260 or 280 specs is the same as buying a 280 block so reliability wise I might as well just swap for a drop on. I would want to keep the motor steel sleeved also. Im pretty happy with my motor its been great to me. Thats the only reason I keep it right now. We,ll see what the winter brings home.:big grin I think a 280 sounds like it might be in the works?

suicidealli

guys if you change the ports in a 225 to a 260 or 280, and cut the exhaust it still isn't the same as a 260 or 280... they run well though... if you take a 260 and port it to drag, and cut the exhaust it still isnt a drag, different block... the behind the liner is still different... there is no boring involved. different efi system. different injectors.ruck can do the behind the liner work as well.
i have a 260 with a little work on the exhaust. a 260 with drag exhaust. a stock drag, and a worked drag. they all run different..
IMHO if i had a choice of motors as a kick butt lake motor on pump gas it would be a 260with a drag exhaust, or a 280 with with drag electronics. 150 lbs comp on either.
if your doing some racing, and lake riding different story...

roy

whipper

Roy just Lake riding but it seems Im rolling start to wot 90+% of the time. All the lakes I most freaquent are small and im the only one there pretty much. The only times I cant realy do this are on hollidays. The lake we go to is to busy and very large. We ski and tube there most of the time. I dont have any trouble getting over 90 with my GS like i said before. I finally got a couple of props that are making the differance. Its sure a differant story when ya finaly get some props that accually work!!!!:big grin I am now a true believer that any prop you put on an Allison has to be worked for an Allison!!! Also set up is key. Raising my motor to 1/4 above with these new props is like new found power! What a differance. I think I need a quiver of Allisons.:big grin If I want to go over 100 I should pony up and by a RR with a 260. Or a SS at least.:big grin

J

John Richied

James when you run your boat waaaaaaaaaay up north can anyone even come close to running with you and your GrandSport/225?

whipper

James when you run your boat waaaaaaaaaay up north can anyone even come close to running with you and your GrandSport/225?
:big grin Not ever, never not a chance. Even a STV with a Bridgport. Though he can start to catch up after a mile he runs 105 top end but takes him longer to 94 than me. I had a 1200hp jet boat scare me off the line once but after I rolled over and got better bite I ate him to 70. Thats all he had was 70mph top end but out of the hole that thing was a monster!! He did 3mph- 50mph in what seemed like 2 sec flat!

I have never been passed John in 5 years. Im sure if i had the right prop I could run real close to 100. A 32 Cleaver maybe? But i want to be able to run 100 with 2 up and still have hole shot.:big grin You know, cake and eat it to. See Todds GS, Zemers GS, and Skydogs old GS and a few others do this. I just still want to be able to ski behind it also. I realy never have to idle much. 100 is asking a lot of a 225 pM. 100 seems pretty normal as far as normal goes with a 260 or 280 on a GS.