260 Strange Stalling Issue

msagro

I am just going to throw this out there and see where it goes. Last weekend I bought a Hoss Triton 1 28 pitch and put it on my XB2003 with 260 Mariner. Not that the prop casused this that is just when it seems to have started. We are cruising down the lake at 5000 RPM and the engine stalls just like you shut the key off, as soon as I let off the throttle it came back to life and away we went. My son and I looked at each other and I ran the boat back up to 5000 and in a couple of minutes it stalled again just like before. We went fishing for a while and then on the way back it was running fine at around 4500, I ran it back up to 5000 and held it there and in a couple of minutes it did the same thing. I put the boat on the trailer and the next morning I checked all the battery connections and ground connections for tightness, found the Pos battery cable a little loose so I tightened it. Took the boat out to run to a friends on the other side of the lake, ran for a few miles at 4500 to 4700 ran fine, then ran it up to 5000 and withing a couple of minutes it stalled again. I ran the rest of the way to my friends and kept it under 5000 all the way back under 5000 and it never stalled. Once back ran the boat up to 6500 a couple of fairly short bursts and was ok so I know I need to try running it at 5000 a ways again and then go to maybe 5500 and see what happens but just thought maybe someone might have had a similar experience.

suicidealli

check the connections on the fuel pump......... turn on the key jiggle it. see if the pump cuts out.... you can burn the pistons real easy with a pump cutting in and out.......
been there done that..
roy