260/RPM's

Brack

if you have a early 260 they came with a analog ecu......and you stated that you tried a A48 box.......the two boxes will use a different map sensor hose fittings....and if you have the early ecu harness for the external tpi ....that may be a issue as well,

BigRedAlli

Good call Brack!!!

Also need to run resistor plugs with the Digital box...:wink

you can also just run a mechanical fuel gage for testing and take it back off when done.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
How do you tell them apart? I called Jay Smith when I put it on and by what I discribed to him I had the correct plug for a digital box. But, Jay didnt see it just what I told him so it could be wrong. How do you tell?

I asked Jay where to plug these wires in at. The ones circled in red.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
yes, its on a bass midsection with a 2 piece plate with the short tuner. I have since bought a 1 piece. I have been told by reliable people that it would be OK until I get a 1 piece. I havent had any cooling issues. I also wondered if it would cause a loss of RPM. Some have said around 3 to 400. Some have said it woudnt matter.

Last edited:

patches

I don't think i can remember anybody putting a 260 on a 2 piece. i think the cooling system would be my biggest concern there. Are you gonna change over to the 1 piece pretty soon. I don't know exactly what the tuner on a 2 piece look like but if its a good bit smaller than the hi-perf tuner i would think it would have the same effect as constricted exhaust chest. I'm not one of those that thinks tuners make a big difference... just saying if it was quite a bit smaller than the hi-perf tuner.

BTW, do you have a manual for the 260?

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
No, I dont have a maunal for the 260. Yes, I plan on swapping to the 1 piece very soon. Havent had any cooling issues. Havent had alot of time to mess with it. I am in the middle of building a house. I had some spare time this week to mess with it so Here I am. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I guess I need to hit some of the rallies next year have some of you fellas look it over.

The first pic is from the side of the house.

The nex pic is from the second storie looking into the front yard.

A pic of the front of the house.

Last edited:
J

John Richied

The two piece can be made to work as far as cooling (or so I have heard) but I would just go with the one piece

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The two piece can be made to work as far as cooling (or so I have heard) but I would just go with the one piece…

And a 225 ProMax exhaust tuner is very small compared to a 260/280 tuner… And I would think that would be a huge restriction when the Rpm’s come up and she needs to breathe.

I don’t know for sure, I could be wrong.

It runs to strong for the lack of RPM to be anything major. Maybe that is the problem and when I change the plate and tuner she will scream. I am gonna be honest. The difference in size didnt look to be that great to me though. I could be wrong I think this thread prove I am no expert.

Last edited:

Swamp boy

K-dawg if you can break away next weekend (Dec 5) come down to the Suwannee River (Chiefland, FL). Be enough folks there to take a quick look and plenty of water to run. I'll prob just be hangin round the hotel on Fri so we'll have some time to fool around with it. Just a thought.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I will do my best to get down there. It would be great if someone who has messed with them before would look her over for me. I am off on friday.

SSTOM

I don't think it is the two peice plate I had my 260 on one before I switched to a 15". Couldn't tell any differance in performance or rpm but it is on a SS. JMO Tom

bruce pitts

HAVE YOU CHECK THE AIR TEMP SENDER TO SEE IF IT'S BAD HAD A 260 HERE IN THE SHOP YEAR OR SO BACK IT WOULD ONLY TURN 7300
ABOUT DROVE ME NUTS WHEN I RUN A TEST ON THE SENDER AND REPLACE SHE CAME A LIVE JUST A THOUGHT:relax:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Been using the search function on Scream and Fly and they say that you OHM it out and it should read7.5 ohms at room temp. Is this correct?

ImbadBob

I don't have my manual with me here, but I think 7.5k ohms or 7500 ohms would be more like it. I seem to remember using a 6.8k ohm resistor to test with in the past. If memory serves it seems the air temp sensor can alter the mixture +/- 10 % ? I'm notsure that may have been on the old analog ecu?

BigRedAlli

Been using the search function on Scream and Fly and they say that you OHM it out and it should read7.5 ohms at room temp. Is this correct?

I would say that depends on what "room" temp is at the time. If you can get hold of a DDT, you can read the sensor.

chad202

Make sure it's steady on a number. It should lock in. I had one that would read a number for only a second then it start drifting up till it went open.