260 Performance

Ltcbutch

OK guys,

I had a 2.5 280 and it was a beast but it was not a fishing platform motor. The plugs did not like to idle long at all so graphing points and humps or slow cruising the beach to see what I could see wasn't too easy.

So I am wondering how a 260 (such as on Rod2dKnee's in for sale forum) is set up. Same as a 280 or do they fish better or worse.

Thanks.

white03

I've heard complaints of 280's fouling plugs, knock on wood...I've had mine for 5 years and never a fouled plug..:) and I idle for long stretches when I am using side imaging looking for brushpiles. Maybe the ones fouling plugs are set-up wrong??

suicidealli

New plugs, and you can always run a smaller prop to take off some of the load. I fish with. Drag motor, and a Len fuel curve, and don't have much of a problem. Sometimes if I don't get on a plane all day, and idle all day, it will load up a little. Jump on plane for a mile or so, and good to go. I had. Bp motor years ago that loaded up bad. Always seemed better if I trimmed it up a little when at idle.

The 280 is the best hipo motor for all around fishing.
You could have Simon, lean it out the ecu at idle.
Roy

Last edited:

chad202

Probably needed to adjust ur tpi and/or ur fuel setting. 280 should idle great if set right and not foul plugs.

MoodyAllison

I'm running a 280 - Mine is a pretty fresh build and have never had a plug issue. My only complaint is when scanning with side imaging I'm moving faster than I would like (idles around 1,000 with a 28" prop). Are they supposed to idle that fast?
Oh, and I burn alot of fuel cause I can't keep my foot from cramping and pushin that aluminum thing down as far as I can!

Last edited:

MoodyAllison

If you guys are running a HummingB side imaging where are you locating your transducer if you have a skid planer installed? I might post a picture of what I did but the long and short is I cut a whole in my planer and have it poking through it. I know it defeats the purpose of the planer on some levels but didn't know what else to do.
Sorry, don't want to rob this thread - I'll do a little re-search and try to answer my own ?....

Last edited: