260 off shore mid

michael lang

I have a 20" off shore mid and 1 piece adapter wantind to put a 99 200 power head on it will it work?someone said it may not cool? What needs to be done?any body done this.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you need to use the proper plates for the power head. I would assume the 2 piece plates under the 200 power head with poppit valve and you should be fine.

bullwhipjkg

Just have to convert the 200 to a 260 cooling setup
My promax is setup this way and runs very well on a 1 piece plate

Guts out of the poppet dump poppet hose out of cowl plug in top of block get rid of thermostats and run the 260 washers in place of them dump out of cowl off port head looking at motor
Make sure and warm motor before u blast off with this setup

michael lang

So gut poppet run hose out pan plug fitting remove thermostats put in washers OK.any pictures of how u ran hoses.thanks

bullwhipjkg

ill see what I can find only hose change is from ur poppet it should go to the top of block that will no longer happen that hose will go from poppet out of cowl and plug top of block

the heads should connect and dump like normal just change the thermostats for the 260 washers

michael lang

sounds easy thank you now all I have to do is get the gaskets and see if the studs are the same for the powerhead

michael lang

Also someone said might have to pull heads and put restricters I'm water passages

90 5.0

Justin,
how many rpm's are you turning on your PM set-up that way?

I have thought of doing it before, but some have said that you can't build up enough heat in the steel sleeve motors that way and they won't turn the rpm's up right??

I have the washers, but still have two peice plate and poppet.

Would liek to get rid of that crap if i can, always plugging the poppets, etc running some of the places i do.

getting rid of the stats helped alot, but would like to get rid of two peice and poppet if it works right.

bullwhipjkg

computer gives up at 9100 of course that is strictly drag race rpms

it boat rides just fine I have a 8000 computer for that

don't remember what the temps are but I want to say just riding around with a guy on back deck with a temp gun it was 135-140
been set up this way for at least 2-3 yrs and been on my ally 2002 my drag and now this tunnel
but powerhead is probb. fixing to find its way onto my new triad and just boat ride

90 5.0

computer gives up at 9100 of course that is strictly drag race rpms

it boat rides just fine I have a 8000 computer for that

don't remember what the temps are but I want to say just riding around with a guy on back deck with a temp gun it was 135-140
been set up this way for at least 2-3 yrs and been on my ally 2002 my drag and now this tunnel
but powerhead is probb. fixing to find its way onto my new triad and just boat ride
Cool thanks, I try and keep mine below 7800 so it sounds like you are getting better than that out of yours so i should be fine. When I get my other powerhead rebuilt and back on i'll make the switch.

merc326

Yes, if you don't have the divirters in the block then you will need to pull the heads and install them. Without them the motor will only partially fill with water and cause it to overheat. I have seen motors without diverters show normal water temp on the gauge and still run hot. So they are very important when running the 260 " one piece plate, washers and no poppet" style cooling setup.