260/280 Water Hoses

J

John Richied

I have a question on the water hoses coming off the heads…

Since both of these hoses dump straight down and exit the cowling is there a reason to have the hose going across the top, head to head?

Why not put a 90-degree brass fitting in the top of each head and dump the water straight down and out, one hose off each head and no cross hose?

Larry XR2001

John:

What I have been told it is to be sure all the air is purged from the top of the block and head. I know for a fact the OMC had that problem with 3cyl and we had to move the hose connection to the top of the head and plug the hole in the exhaust plate. Hope this helps.

Larry

ALLISONMAN

that must be a gpi secret water flow cause that is not the typical 260-280-drag water routing!!! john you shouldnt be showing secrets!!!!!!! :lol:

FlatOutAlly

Now you've gone and done it, Richied. You revealed the top secret, top loaded, balanced cooling modification that actually improves handling.

RP will cut you off if you're not careful there.... :shock:

chad202

I was told if you run the small thermowashers, you can run a hose off each head without the crossover hose. This is from John Marles. I run mine like that with no problems.

LAAllison

Water hose

I don't think John really wants to know about water---he just wants to show off that great looking engine. And I don't blame him.

Art

Roll Tide

J

John Richied

Thanks for the advice Chad and complement Art…

I switched the hoses off my heads so they go into a 90 and straight out through the cowling.

Bryan, is this the right way to do it? :p

ALLISONMAN

i'm just a flunkie i dont know chit!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: but i have 4 pee holes on mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

GPI Racing

The cross hose is there to help somewhat balance the temp from head to head. Looks odd but does help stabilize the temps as there is some side to side action even when running at high speed. Also if one hose got some crap in it the water in the offending side could still exit. The water pressure gauge would just show a higher than normal reading.

Randy

Yellowallison

WOW!!!!!!!! GPI is still alive & Kickin... :p :p :p :p

PINKIE!!!!!!!!!!!! have yu thought bout running one back to the GAS tank as a extra return line? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: