225x Diagnostication HELP!!!

GotMyAlly

The smoke wouldn't bother me too much unless it looks like a mosquito fogger. It's a 2-stroke. My 225X smoked a little. More on start-up after sitting for a prolonged period. Might be just a different formulation of oil, etc.

Temp and water psi OK?

What about voltage? My 225X was very voltage-sensitive. Low batt/undersized batt would put it into limp mode.

ROBERT CROSS

It's charging 14.2v.
Cylinder head temp 150@3k 160 putt'n in gear @1k
WP 3psi@idle. 12@3k

Oh, and yes it did smoke a LOT more than a normal start-up. It's usually only barely noticeable at start-up and sometimes in the canal while putt'n.

Bob
:confused:

Last edited:

pacman809

Bob- Sounds like something I ran into a few back that drove me nuts. The cap to the under cowl oil reserve had cracked horizontally where the top met the side walls. I must have over tightened it and it gave out. I didn't notice the oil leak but the loss of pressure was enough to set off the alarms intermittently. Also check the main tank caps as well- someone added that they found their main tank cap had cracked as well. Good luck. pacman

GotMyAlly

It's charging 14.2v.
Cylinder head temp 150@3k 160 putt'n in gear @1k
WP 3psi@idle. 12@3k

Oh, and yes it did smoke a LOT more than a normal start-up. It's usually only barely noticeable at start-up and sometimes in the canal while putt'n.

Bob
:confused:
Do you have smartcraft gauges?
My 225X always idled at 130-140 and ran at 110-120, but I think the smartcraft monitors water temp, not head temp.

GotMyAlly

Also, try turning the key on and see what the volts read without the engine running. If less than 11.5, I think guardian cuts power by 50%. When my cranking batt was weak, it would start and run in guardian mode until the alternator charged the batt back to a sufficient point, then it would run fine. That might take a while, depending on how drained the batt was.

ROBERT CROSS

Do you have smartcraft gauges?
My 225X always idled at 130-140 and ran at 110-120, but I think the smartcraft monitors water temp, not head temp.
No smartcraft gauges, I use a VDO head temp gauge, I've moved the sensor and get very close readings on both heads.

Also, try turning the key on and see what the volts read without the engine running. If less than 11.5, I think guardian cuts power by 50%. When my cranking batt was weak, it would start and run in guardian mode until the alternator charged the batt back to a sufficient point, then it would run fine. That might take a while, depending on how drained the batt was.
I keep it on a BatteryTender, I usually have 12.3-12.8 with key on. 13.2 with key off at the battery.

Bob

alanm2002

Sweet looking GSE, if you need a computer I have a new one never used, I paid $1200,

LakeAnna

Bob check the tank on the side of the block. Mine did the same mess once and the oil level for whatever reason was just down enough to sound the alarms. Also check the little filter on that oil line. If that tank is the not full to the top it will sound the horn specially when you get underway.

Same as you stated above the 3-4 beeps and then it drops power.

ROBERT CROSS

Sweet looking GSE, if you need a computer I have a new one never used, I paid $1200,
I thought it might be a computer also...only 'cuz the beeps were still there with both oil & water sensors out of the loop. Taking it to Alex Murchison at East Pier Marine to get it scanned tomorrow...it's a busy time for him but he's a great guy and will git 'er done.
Is your ECU stock?

Take a real whipping
As in kool-whip...not understanding, just what gets whipped.:confused:

Bob check the tank on the side of the block. Mine did the same mess once and the oil level for whatever reason was just down enough to sound the alarms. Also check the little filter on that oil line. If that tank is the not full to the top it will sound the horn specially when you get underway.
Same as you stated above the 3-4 beeps and then it drops power.
The level in the tank is less than an inch from the top...Would the plugged filter cause the alarm to sound, theres no sensor on it.

Bob

GotMyAlly

Let it idle on the hose and crack open the cap on the on-board oil tank. It'll purge out the air. Close it up just as the oil starts to push out. That's easy enough to rule out.

Edit: I think low oil is a continuous beep though.

GotMyAlly

From the smartcraft manual:

Three Beeps every 4 Minutes.
Failure detected with:

Battery Voltage *

EST *- Open detected at key
up. Short detected with engine
running

Fuel Injector - Detected while
cranking/running

Coolant Sensor *

IAC **

GotMyAlly

Intermittent Beeps
Failure detected with:

Fuel Pump - May start
momentarily **

Main Power Relay - No start **

ECM Reference Voltage to
MAP/TPS - Starts but stalls
under load

GotMyAlly

Six Beeps on key up,
or during a running failure.
Failure detected with
MAP, MAT *, TPS, or Flash Check
Sum (ECM)

LakeAnna

I thought it might be a computer also...only 'cuz the beeps were still there with both oil & water sensors out of the loop. Taking it to Alex Murchison at East Pier Marine to get it scanned tomorrow...it's a busy time for him but he's a great guy and will git 'er done.
Is your ECU stock?

As in kool-whip...not understanding, just what gets whipped.:confused:

The level in the tank is less than an inch from the top...Would the plugged filter cause the alarm to sound, theres no sensor on it.

Bob
Yes it will make the horn sound for sure! like he stated above purge that out and you should be good. That was my experience when mine did that exact same thing so... try it. That tank has to be FULL or it will throw the alarm.

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

Let it idle on the hose and crack open the cap on the on-board oil tank. It'll purge out the air. Close it up just as the oil starts to push out. That's easy enough to rule out.

Edit: I think low oil is a continuous beep though.
Yep....low oil in the tank is a continuous beep. I got that when it went into 'limp mode', wouldn't run above 1800k.

Yes it will make the horn sound for sure! like he stated above purge that out and you should be good. That was my experience when mine did that exact same thing so... try it. That tank has to be FULL or it will throw the alarm.
Thank's a lot guy's, :beer:....I'll put it on the muff's, purge and ck/replace that small inline oil filter.

I hope if I need any parts Alex will have them, don't want to waste time mail order, Seasons coming to an end up here.:sad

Bob

David Lanham

Additional Info:

My X's oil reservoir on the motor would lower time to time and trip the alarm. Got worse in time.

I ended up blowing out the oil line from the boat mounted reservoir to the motor's oil tank and that fixed the problem. Think there was some sort of partial blockage in the line. I replaced the oil filter before this and it didn't help. Keep us posted.

wasmeneh

I had a 225 standard Merc that would sound the alarm it was caused by my over tightening the boat side oil tank cap which caused it to leak air. Had to change the cap gaskets and make sure not to overtighten, solved the problem.
Mike

ROBERT CROSS

Took the small white "filter" out of the inlet line for the engine oil tank, (I think it's actually a one way valve.) Wide open, no restriction at all inbound, nothing going thru the other way. It takes several pounds, 3-6 psi, to blow thru the inlet hose from the 'filter' to the tank, that may be because it's full of oil.

Checked the level again after a bleed run on the muff's, still less than an inch below the opening, no beeps, but there was no load and it only ran for about 15min. It took about 1/2hr to sound last time out.

Took it to Alex this morning should have the ECU scan results tomorrow.

Bob

Last edited: