225 Promax Starter Stays On

flying07

Hi everyone. . . . interesting problem, cause i've only ever had the opposite. Turned my boat off last night, 225 promax, and the starter stayed ON. Key off, key on, it still kept spinning. Wouldn't of course start the boat since it was spinning down and not engaging the wheel. Only way to turn it off was to disconnect the battery, soon as you touch the battery, starter starts back up! So what are some things to look at? Wire someplace? Relay? Ignition/key switch? Thanks much for any and all advice/suggestions!

flying07

I'm thinking starter solenoid, and replace. . . but curious thoughts from others way more mechanical then myself. . . if so, where should I order one or part number?

Last edited:

Freebird

Sorry man, but that whole motor is beyond repair. I'll help you out by buying your ECU though. :D

Thomas H

Here's how I used to test the in-lines: Disconnect the battery. Check across the battery and starter motor connections to the solenoid. If you have continuity the solenoid is stuck engaged and needs to be replaced. You might try tapping the solenoid gently with a screwdriver handle, sometimes that will disengage it. Still needs to be replaced or it will destroy your starter motor!

flying07

Here's how I used to test the in-lines: Disconnect the battery. Check across the battery and starter motor connections to the solenoid. If you have continuity the solenoid is stuck engaged and needs to be replaced. You might try tapping the solenoid gently with a screwdriver handle, sometimes that will disengage it. Still needs to be replaced or it will destroy your starter motor!
Thanks much, did like you said, yep, solenoid is stuck engaged. New one on the way ! Thanks!!

whipper

there cheep look at S&F there might be one for sale there. I have a spare when i bought a spare engine but might need it one day also.

flying07

I think I'll keep a spare. . . solenoid and probably starter itself. . . paddling sucks! haha

flying07

Thanks for the help everyone! New solenoid, and she's back on the water. . . . So as a follow up, when the starter was 'stuck on', it free spun for a good half hour I'd say. . . . chances that I should order a starter too? It was pretty hot when I finally able to shut it off. . . . thoughts??

BGohr

I'm sure thee starter is junk, anytime you buy a solenoid, get the High Perf one, you can tell it because it's been taken apart and rebolted back together.