225 Black Max

BQUICK

I bought a 1987 BAJA 164 with this motor. Based on the numbers it seems to be a 1984 200 with a 225 powerhead (serial number on block is different). Previous owner said that it has less than 30 hours on the rebuilt powerhead ($2,500 was cost of the work) and was modified to produce 235-240 hp. It has a Bobs's nosecone and low water pickup. 28 in Quicksilver Chopper. FRESHWATER use only.

He said it ran 88 GPS before he chickened out. I am working on the transom and will take it out soon to verify but I want to slow the boat into the 60s so my son can use. Also, I have lots of Yamaha parts so as much as I love Mercs I'm going that route.

$2,500

Located in Maryland.
Bruce
BQUICKs2@yahoo.com
(301) 829-0133

Last edited:

BQUICK

Yes, converted to premix.

115 compression across the board

Seems to have cooling mods. Has hoses coming off thermostat housings and poppit valve plugged. Anyone know about these types of cooling mods?

BQUICK

No the stats aren't blocked the poppit is. The hoses come off the T stat housings and cross over to the other side. I'll have to take a pic.

BQUICK

Any offers?

Need to take motor off soon so I can work on transom before it gets cold since I'm going to use epoxy laminating resin.

Thanks///Bruce

suicidealli

the pee hole was just when the water pressure got to high it would squirt out the pee hole. somebody blocked it off.
it should have T-stats, so no water from the heads til it build up some heat. should still have a pee stream.

Last edited:

BQUICK

Yeah, it pumps water fine. Why would they have blocked the poppet off?

suicidealli

when you turn some good rpms they will pee water out in the cowl. could suck in the carbs, and be bad news. they will have high water pressure if you turn the bigger rpm's.jmo
some guys will run a barb fitting, and run it out the cowl too.

roy

BQUICK

Is $2,000 too much for this motor? Not real familiar with all the Merc variations. Thought they were pretty desirable. I just got the parts to re-seal the slight leak on one of the trim cylinders.

Put on EBAY starting at $1,500?

Thanks for any advice.

Bruce