200xs

John S

I'm in the break-in phase on a '05 200xs, and love the :twisted: out of it. Runs like a watch at idle, smooth cruising, and even though I haven't pounded yet, on short pulls it seems pretty good. One question I have is @ 3200-3500, the motor has a very strange reaction. It seems to howl,growl and just run rough. At first, I got very scared(I've had a history of "bad noises"), but it came down to idle fine, plugs good, no problems at all. I've got about 3 hrs on it,and everythings good,but that really stumps me why it runs like that at that small rpm range. Is that possibly a fuel or ignition mapping deal, or does the motor just not like that rpm (harmonic problem)? For now I'll just stay out of there, but some input would be appreciated. Thanks - John

jimmyb

their is a whistle sound that the 200XS has roughly in that rpm range... there also might be some harmonic noises that you are hearing, as the alien cowl does provide much sound deadening

XB21er

A buddy of mine has an 02 200xs, and the first time I drove his boat I thought something was wrong- strange harmonics, particularly at that 3000-3500 range- but it's still runnin fine with zero problems.

GotMyAlly

Is it kind of a rattle sound? My 225X has always sounded kinda funny in the mid range. Just a little higher pitched and rattle like. Once you push the gas, it growls like normal.

Casey

225x

my 225x also had the same rattle at that rpm. finally got someone to drive the boat so I could watch the motor to see where it was comming from. It was the cover latch on the front of the motor. I put flat piece of soft rubber underneath the latch. It still makes a little noise at that rpm but that stopped most of it. The rattle was VERY loud before.

JOEALLY

The noise I'm referring to is not a rattle, it's a harmonic sound, kinda hard to describe, but not a rattle.

John S

Thanks, fellas. I kinda thaught that it was nothing, but it's sure nice to hear it from others who've been around them. Now I just cant wait to see what it sounds like at WOT!( I just might run her in the garbage can when I go to work to get through them pesky break in hours!) :lol: Thanks again - John