200xs vs 225PM on GSE

njj502

You'll be better off dreaming for a Verado 250xs than another 2stroke....... :(

I hate to say it but the 200xs is about as good as it gets right now and I don't forsee any "new" performance 2.5's added to the lineup.....

xb03fs

I dont want a heavy motor. I want a light one

njj502

I know you do. What I was saying is that we're all dreaming if we think there is going to be another hot 2.5........ You might as well figure out how to put a Verado on a diet with a good gearcase.....

You got the perfect motor to start with. Cut it to 280 specs and run it!

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Confucius: The only thing better than cubes ...is more cubes. (truly an enlightened man)

xb03fs

Nick you know when the time comes for a new powerhead, I think a good strong promax builit the right way will do just fine.....especially with my SVS. I am happy playing in the 80's and I think it would get the a little quicker.. Then I don't have to mess with apadpter plates, cooling mods or nicasil, and I can keep my 200 powerhead as a backup...

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nick you know when the time comes for a new powerhead, I think a good strong promax builit the right way will do just fine.....especially with my SVS. I am happy playing in the 80's and I think it would get the a little quicker.. Then I don't have to mess with apadpter plates, cooling mods or nicasil, and I can keep my 200 powerhead as a backup...
Adapter plates have different sized exhaust ports between a 200 and 225.

aeneas

Whipper, the gen I 200xs is a 6850rpm limiter 220 +/-5 hp engine, the new 200xs gen II is a 7150rpm 230hp and above engine. Also you have the 200xs sst powerhead that revs 8000 and some. I was keen on one of these but was told it does not have the same grunt.

There are also people who knows how to make the 200xs gen I into a rock solid 250hp motor (I am considering this for next year). These people are in Europe where we have been racing the 200xs for a decade. I am sure they could make it into a "280xs" too with the same reliability as a 2.5efi...

njj502

That would mean having to what? $$$$$:big grin
Just some port work and tighter heads & maybe a Brucato box for him. He's already got the SVS and a stupid strong 200. Man you'd have it then, 280ish HP and the reliability of a steel bore two five.

xb03fs

Its still not equal to stock promax yet. I would say its halfway between a stock 200 and stock promax...however the heads have yet to be cut so maybe that should be done later this year...

whipper

I find the 33cc heads on mine help midrange but you need to increase the fuel delivey to let them eat... Every mod like SVS would enhance the tighter heads over just cutting the heads without a svs. more Air and more fuel= goodness.:big grin Ive modified my cowl quite a bit. It doesnt look quite like Garys front on the OMC but its getting there. I have around 15 hole I drilled on the front and i would have to say every hole made a differance to the point i had to add more fuel. That and seat of pants told me I was on the right track to squeeze some more out of her. Were I really notice it is the faster I go. Midrange 40mph and up. Over 50 a hudge increase in acceleration to top speed. The trade off is more fuel though added. Not much though to really notice really. The Brucato box is nice when your playing around like this because a turn of the dial to try a differant setting and bingo more fuel to feed the beast.

SLOmofo

A thing or two on adding air holes.
If they are directly in front on the throttle body the induction noise will be LOUD. I can be louder then the exhaust noise.
Also you might get into a ram air effect at high speed which the fuel map will have to be compensated for.
Careful where you put them, the cowl creates a vacuum behind it and if water is there it will possibly get to the throttle bodies and get sucked in.
Dave's drag cowl VERY noisy in the boat.
The one I have, even though you can see the linkage and the throttle bodies it isn't a direct line to the throttle plates. Still noisy just not as noisy.

Try a short run with the cowl off and see for yourself. Just remember the engine will get much more air and you could lean out the air/fuel mixture enough to seize it. BTDT big bore OMC carbs are notorious for that especially with velocity stacks. Just getting up on plane will give you an idea.

whipper

A thing or two on adding air holes.
If they are directly in front on the throttle body the induction noise will be LOUD. I can be louder then the exhaust noise.
Also you might get into a ram air effect at high speed which the fuel map will have to be compensated for.
Careful where you put them, the cowl creates a vacuum behind it and if water is there it will possibly get to the throttle bodies and get sucked in.
Dave's drag cowl VERY noisy in the boat.
The one I have, even though you can see the linkage and the throttle bodies it isn't a direct line to the throttle plates. Still noisy just not as noisy.

Try a short run with the cowl off and see for yourself. Just remember the engine will get much more air and you could lean out the air/fuel mixture enough to seize it. BTDT big bore OMC carbs are notorious for that especially with velocity stacks. Just getting up on plane will give you an idea.
Good info Gary. I have no were near as many holes or as big as yours thats for sure. What I was doing was trying to get a little better air flow into the intake and to try and creat a ram air effect. I get it at around 85mph a little. I have richened up the full throtle fuel mapping to compensate for the increased air flow into the induction. Ive only made 50 or so test runs at WOT in testing but I decided to leave it were it is now as my motor is very high hrs and didnt want to shock it to much:] At 85 it takes off like I hit a switch!! Like a second gear. Thats my seat of pants testing dyno.:very happy Plugs temps all just visual. The cowl I have has no plates under for air flow direction. The merc cowls direct air to the intake by design. I was just trying to help my aftermarket bobs cowl in getting air to the intake. They are natoious for choking off the engine due to poor air flow. It was fun and interesing testing after each hole drilled. Every hole made a differance untill I noticed a big differance. Thats when i started checking plugs and head temps with a lazer after each run while tweeking the fuel curve and checking for any water under the cowl. Mine seems good as far as injestion also. BTW how i first descovered I needed to do somthing was taking the cowl off at idle. It just ran better off.:beer: