200xs Stalling in Gear

Ally03 200xs

What could cause my 200xs to stall in gear? It will run for like 15 seconds without pushing on the gas pedal. After about 15 seconds the engine will start to bog and run really rough and finally die. It smells as if the engine is flooding. But if I give the engine a little gas to keep it going it is fine like going through a 5 mph zone.

Besides this issue the engine idles and runs perfect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Neil

vcrash

Sorry, mine has never done that, Have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

badbait

Neil, you may need to get it hooked up to a DDT and see what kind of falts(if any) the motor is throwing. My 250 stumbles every once in a while during a long idle period. I've heard there is a correction for the stumble but I haven't looked into it.

whipper

Bill I thought that just happens once and a while? Plugs may have some fowling from detination loading up at idle for longer pieriods of time? I have heard that kinda stuff before hear and there but have no technical answer for it. I know that most guys with 260's will tell you they dont like idle speed because of this. But that is a hot motor in comparisen. My 225PM realy has no issue exept that it does some times require a peddle movement to be happier at idle for long periods. If every thing else seems fine I would just give her a varoom once and a while to get the juices flowing again. It also could be that your idle is to low perhaps? one more though is how long has this been happening. There could be a chance you got some stail fuel somewere. I had a problem with idle one time come to think about it and starting also I bought some purple gas that time in 92oct. I went back to the 91oct from Cheveron and all has been well since. James

Last edited: