200xs or 225 promax

tekajo

I am planning on repowering my 2003xb this spring. I would like to run mid to high 80's with a 26 pitch trophy. I fish, cruise, and sometimes water ski. I would like to pay 6-7 K for a nice clean engine. The 200xs is close to 50lbs heavier, but would get better gas mileage. The 225 promax would probable bring a little better performance. Which would be a better choice as far as value per dollar? Consider reliability , cost, parts
performance. Thanks Harry

Mad-optiMax

With 2003/200xs/26 trophy combo your looking at mid to high 80s on speed;decent holeshot and pretty good gas mileage. A boat that does everything well or at least better than average.

hack02

I've found that if you go for the smaller motor you always have the thoughts in the back of your mind that you should have went with more horsepower. Especially if you get passed or ride around alot with someone that has the bigger motor. With a 225 you'll probably see low to mid 90's.

jimmyb

my vote is a the 200XS... especially if you want the economy.

however, you can get yourself a decent 225 promax for 4-5K if you shop around, and that difference in price will buy a you bunch of gas. Plus, I dont know if you can score a 200XS for 6-7k

if you really wanted to go cheap you could buy an older 200 carb 2.5L for 2-3K. Not as user friendly, but cheap. I marvel at the fast boat someone could put together for less than 10k...

John S

I have had both of them on my xtb-21. The promax was faster on the topend, but in defense of the xs, I only got a few hours on it, so maybe some more setup??? But my promax was finicky. The xs on the other hand, is a runner. Every time I turn the key, 2 seconds later its running, no spitting or sputtering, good holeshot, and a steady pull. I havent heard anyone on this board (knock on wood) talk about a major breakdown on a 200xs yet. Another thing to consider is if you are inerested in toying with it. A promax can be a monster with porting, heads, intake, etc., where a 200xs is a 200xs. There is nothing at this time that you to change one. Just ask GPI Randy" Randy can you do this-no John, Randy can you do this-no John"!!! :lol: I do love my 200xs and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Good luck on whatever you do.

John S :D

LAAllison

200xs/Promax

I've had my 225SM (Promax) since May of 99 and it has been stone reliable. Change the plugs, change the water pump and change the gear lube is all I've ever done except when I centered a log and busted the drive shaft. Cranks everytime--just reach in and turn the key. Don't know how many hours on my engine but I use it a lot. Sunday before last I put 5 hours on it and 88-90 mph is easy with my ski setup. Sure wish they still made'em.
Art

Roll Tide

msethsmile

Funny Guy
200xs

I heard merc was going to beef up the 200xs the same way they went from the 225pm to the 225x pm. True? Is there a major difference in the 200xs opti system vs. the production opti's besides max rpm? Reliability? Fuel Mileage?

I have a xb2003 with a 225pm, a fine motor. I have thought seriously about a 200xs. Probably lose 3-4 mph but I'm real tired of $2-3 gas. I spend a lot of time at cruise (30-60 mph).