2003 windsheild Question

Larry33kc

I have heard that Allison has two size windsheilds for the 2003 does any one have any PICS and what are the difference between the two. Thanks

GFinch

This is what was on the boat when I got it. It was crazed so badly when I put the boat on the water the first time after rigging it, I couldn't see, turned around and put it back on the trailer and took it off. I think this is the short one.

A heads up: If you cover your boat and its in the sun the top of the windshield will craze very soon. Put a towel on the windshield to space the cover from the windshield.

Not to steal your post BUT: If someone could tell a correct way of cutting this windshield down. I'm thinking just an inch or so above the dash.

GFinch

This pic shows the crazing. The verticle lines at the top of the windshield. Click on the pic to enlarge.

FLYING BUTCHER

windshield

I bought my boat new and the windshield did the very same thing. Never knew what caused it. I would be interested in the idea of changing out windshields. I have never heard of a "shorter" one and if so does it do anything for a couple mph top end? Anyone know?

hack02

I used to rent shop space from a sign shop and watched them cut plastic all the time. They put masking tape on each side of the plastic to be cut, marked a line, then lay the plastic on a thick sheet of styrofoam, thick enough for the blade of a jig saw to penetrate but not bottom out. They would use a special plastic cutting blade in the jig saw, and cut slow. One thing the plastic will try to do if you don't use a plastic cutting blade is fuse itself back together behind the cut from the heat.
As far as the cracking at the edge of the windshield in the pictures; I used to make my own windshields for my motorcycle. After I made my cut I would take a torch and heat a piece of flat steel and go along the edge of the plastic with the hot steel and it would kinda roll the edge into a bead, this keeps the cracks from forming. Hope this helps.

white03

mine did that crazing or cracking from the bottom up toward the top...go figure??? I have never heard of a shorter one either, at least not on one that came original on an Allison.

Bill

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
The older XB2003's (circa 1995) had the "tall" windshield. I think the change was made in 1996 to the shorter one. Bill Scates at the factory can tell you for sure.

Gary, somehow "CRAZING" seems oddly appropriate for YOUR windshield.. :mrgreen:

whipper

Gary that crazy looks like a mesuring stick to tell weather or not there keepers! :mrgreen: If ya turned that ruler the otherway yad see what I mean. ;) James

BigRedAlli

My 1995 (built in Dec.) has the short shield, but someone else may have added it before i got it.

Marty

ALLISONMAN

the tall windshields were an option. I bought a short one for the summer and use the tall one for winter use!! And can tell no difference in speed in the two windshields or even taking the windshield off. I think the optional ski package included the back bench and tall windshield.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Mine's a 98 with the back bench but came with the short windshield....??

badbait

I have run my 2003 with the windshield off looking for a speed advantage and it was so small that I

GFinch

2fast4mom said:
Mine's a 98 with the back bench but came with the short windshield....??
"back bench butt" My, My. :shock: You live awfully close to the Gay Bay, or maybe thats a referance to Oakland, speaking of the dark side. :mrgreen: !-! :mrgreen: !-!

Gary, somehow "CRAZING" seems oddly appropriate for YOUR windshield..

Your right it is appropo. Odd works too. Wierd, sick, pervert........Yep thats me!::>< ::>< ::><

Not to steal this from Larry 33kc, BUTT. I'm thinking of cutting the original wind shield down to, lets say 2" and then paint it black. Reason, during the summer theres a lack of air flow thru the seating aera, this might help. Also it might look gooder. :roll: :roll:

RedAllison

GF I would swear that your windshield is the taller "fishNski" model. They were like 7-8", about 2" taller than the standard version. Unless you are real short or are crouching down you shouldn't be looking through the windshield on the regular shield when running, should be looking over it with a line of sight pretty much parallel too the waters surface. The same line of sight on the fishNski WOULD have you lookin through it. And I agree the optical quality of the shields SUCK so I would hate to have the taller one on and try to actually see anything with it.

I ordered my boat with practically all the "ski" options on it but I don't recall being offered the taller windshield (which it certainly doesn't have).

Hell I might pull mine off and paint it red for fartsNgiggles,
RA

ps
LLDoggg they givin you a hard time about the "rear hatchin"??? :mrgreen: ;) !-! :twisted:

GFinch

Red Allison,
Don't know much but I'm not to short 6'2" at least I used to be, AGE SHORTENS. As for lookin thru thats what I do. The seat is bolted directly to the floor and it's a 1994. I think I read the floor is different in the earler models.

GrandLakeGAR

Windshields

The XB2003 spec sheet from my old 94 shows three Pro-Sport models. Fish n Ski with full windshield, side steer and side by side buckets. Tournament with small windshield, side steer, side by side buckets and hatch in the front deck with tackle boxes and trays. And the basic model with center steer and tandem buckets with no mention of a windshield. One of the listed options is a "retractable head lght", I wonder what that looked like? GAR

Larry33kc

Does any one have a PIC of the tall windsheild I would still like to see it

GFinch

It took a while to get around too it, butt with the summer heat upon me, I carved up the old crazed wind shield that was on the boat when I got it. It was so bad the first time I launched the boat I idled out to the 5 mph bouy, turned around and took it off. Couldn't see thru it. I think the 1994 XB2003's floor is lower and I have the seat bolted directly to the floor.

Masking tape, an old Sears skill saw w/fine tooth blade, felt tip marker with a big nut on it (slides along the top of the consoul), some of the left over foam insulation used in the jack plate. Orbital sander w/ 220 and worn out 320 grit.
1. Old tall and crazed
2. tall and short
3. OLD saw and insulation
4. Heres shorty
5. First look
6. Summers here
7. Still Crazed
8. New view

Attachments