2003 Top End with 225 Pro

GeoL

What would you expect the MPH gain to be for a driver that was 200 lbs lighter.
Stock 225 Pro with Bob's Machine Shop Allison cut skeg and trim tab.
Half a tank, light load, just the driver using a 29 SRX ?
My guess would be 5 MPH, or 94 if he had the stones.
I bet Pinkii would know ?
WAG's appreciated,
Geo

David Lanham

My vote is 3 MPH gain. But, the PM 6750 rev limit will cap the speed to upper 80s maybe 91 using the 29 RX.

JR

George,
Richard Henry's best was about 93 MPH GPS with close to the same setup. The Grandsport is 1-2 MPH faster with a "like" setup.
JR

GeoL

Thank you David and JR.
I always tried to stay below 6500 for the oil gear. No tellin how accurate the Tach is.
Gene, down in Lk Placid before he got killed in the blowover on Lk X, got 92 on my radar gun. He had never driven the boat before, though.
I think Randy will get at least 92 soon, especially if he gets his SRX worked.
Thanx again,
Geo

GeoL

Yeah DeadEye, I sure miss him. Mike was a good lad also, wish he could have stayed.... she was tough. They were building that house on the public boat ramp lake around the corner from the business, forget the name..... Lk June ??? Beautiful lake, I should have moved there.
Gene took me over to Titus's ???? I think that was his name, that had a machine shop and did props for the F-1 boys or something. I could eat off that floor.
Wonder if he is still there ?
Gene let me try every prop he had and didn't charge me anything when I couldn't find what I was looking for. I mailed them 200$ for the trouble.
Happy Boating,
Geo

GotMyAlly

George,
Richard Henry's best was about 93 MPH GPS with close to the same setup. The Grandsport is 1-2 MPH faster with a "like" setup.
JR

I thought the opposite was true. I know the GS is about 100 lbs lighter, but I thought the aerodynamics gave the XB03 an edge. I know that front deck on the GS has to create a lot of down force.

JR

When we have all run side by side at the Radical Boat Reunions, the Grandsport has a slight edge. The bass boats seem to have a heavier deck up front that needs to support your weight, along with the live wells. Nose weight is punishing on an Allison.
JR

Last edited:

props4u2

JR is correct, the GrandSport is faster & quite a bit quicker than an 2003 ProSport motor for motor. 6-7 mph faster actually.

Lee

RedAllison

Gdaddy is that with your bimini top up or folded? :big grin

Should be able to see 94 +or- 1 either way!!! :beer:
RA

badbait

I have know idea which one is faster. Setup may have a little to do with that and also on my XB2003 there is a +2.4 mph difference with the troller off. Instead of running at 5.2 to 5.3 on the smartcraft it gets all the lift needed at 5.0 to 5.1. No power is wasted lifting the nose.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
With a 225 on an XB2003 I had trouble breaking 90mph. 89.8, 89.9, etc. This was with troller and all other junk in the boat.

JR

Lou,
George and RHenry were running about 92-3 with the same setup.
I think my windshield hurts me too, like Lee [a Real Allison Expert] said, by a couple of MPH.
JR

GeoL

That's Mike for ya, DeadEye. I was supposed to go watch him race the car but never did....

I forgot to tell Ranchoff, in his quest for the top number, be sure to remove the top with the quick disconnects. Darris said folded it will mess up the Aero's and slow her a bit.

The GPS will give you a more steady indication but not quite as accurate all the time as the calibrated Police Radar gun. These guys swear by their GPS, but I have seen some that were off 2 or 3 MPH. Too bad those GPS's you mount in the boat are so expensive compared to what comes with the boat. Why don't you Tric or Treat Bobbii for Christmas ?

Ranch, with Phil's help, held her WOT for the first time ! Hey Lou, remember that day ? Well done Ranchoff !!!! Now, do what I always wanted, when you send that 29 SRX off for repair, have them put an Allison Cut on that thing, if you can do that and stay at 6800 r's. Anything they do with a stock prop is probably gonna really help 1 to 3 mph, maybe, IMHO.

Thank you Phil Conant !!! The King of Haines Creek

Geo