2001 bottom

Brian2001

Probationary User
I have heard of people taking out part of the lip on the pad in (.000"). I talked to Allison about this and they say it would be a mistake and that I would be brinig the boat back down to them to put the lip back in. My problem is when I get up to around 105-107 the stern lifts and the bow drops and the boat gets loose. I've been told that taking .015" to .025" off the lip will almost illiminate this problem. Who here has experience with the bottoms of the boats that can help me out with this. I need to fix this problem but I don't want to ruin the boat.

Thanks, Brian

GPI Racing

Brian,

The lip is silly (my opinion) at the speeds your running. The "factory" will tell you it's great but you could give Tom Johnson a call at UDOR USA in Minneapolis. He can give you some first hand info on what worked and what didn't. They tried every possible combo. Tom and his brother Gordy were the ones who built the enclosed canopy XR2001. The boat is now campaigned by Brent Shaw in Iowa. He won his class championship this year in the series he runs. That boat has virtually no lip and had the same problem as yours.

Randy

ALLISONMAN

brian depends on what you are wanting to do drag race - leave the lip run topend numbers - you could work the lip or you need some more setup time and move some weight around. the answer you are looking for is in what you want to do!!! i wouldnt grind the lip off till i talked with someone who has some expreince in the 2001 hulls and your application!! good luck

JR

Pad design

I have removed at least 50% of the lip on my grandsport. I like it at top speeds with a light load, but it suffers when runing lower speeds with a heavy load. I also applied more removal to one side to improve the balance, which it did.
JR

RB in NM

My XR-2001 ain't got no stinkin' lips..... :roll:

It's been milled off. handles fine, pops good, tracks right, got all the lift I need. I have only run this hull with the stock limiter of 7750 on this stock 260, with a 30 inch wheel, bumping the limiter hard while back home in La for Thanksgiving week vacation. No speedo, but using prop calculator , around 103 and change. I rigged the 260 on a Friday night, it fired off 1st time Sat am, my first 20 minutes in the boat I had it on the limiter, run her hard and long right at limiter.

So I tend to agree, the lip on a XR may not be needed as thought.

My XR-2001 is Ron Hausman's old ride. He straightened the pad, milled it flat and sharp.

While in La, I had plenty time to run some of the finest , winding river systems in tha' country, as well as some 1/4 mile runs. This hull tracks straight and true, handles them twisty Amite River bends like its on rails.

I be happy wid' no lip !

Russ

ziemer

Lip

JR, I'd be curoius on how much you took off the left side of your pad to help with the balance. (I'm assuming left since you drive on the right :wink: )

JR

Trial and error

I have done just a little -.010 removal over 3 different times in order not to get it wrong. I have seen a difference in the load carrying ability after the third time, but then again my pad has all kind of nicks and scratches in it also from going aground [in the ICW at St Augustine] and from water trash. With your higher HP and not carrying as many people [and junk] you might could remove the whole .050. The lip is easy to see once you begin to sand since the underlayers are a different color [light beige] than the platnum gelcoat. The lip has a very unusual design with a ridge across the rear and an inequal ridge on each side running forward.
JR

ally2dextreme

i know poeple that put the allison lip on 1/4 master and talk about how much faster it is go figure

Rusrog

Allison Hook...

I have heard several different stories about the hook in the Allison pad...

Most of the people I have talked too have taken some of the hook out of the boat and been really impressed with the results. Most have taken the hook down to about .015 to .025 and noted the boat was easier to drive and with big power showed no loss in speed or acceleration. The hook was removed on my XR2001 and with a motor built to DSRA Super Stock specs it runs a little wet... A small hook is going back on it and hopefully it will loosen the boat up juuuust a hair. With big power & a light boat you should be able to remove the hook altogther.

Russ

Casey G

rus i measured mine and it was .035 in the center and tapers to .000 on the outsides. i don't think it's ever been touched, but who knows??????????

are you planning on making it down in a few weeks?

Rusrog

Casey I'm planning on making it down and playing with ya'll. I'm dressing the powerhead tonight and hopefully setting it on the boat tomorrow night. Work has been pretty hectic lately but hopefully I'll have a day off next week to finish it up. It won't be right but it will be there if a all possible!

Sounds like it's gonna be a great time down there!

Russ

ALLISONMAN

YEAH THOMAS WAS STEVE'S CREWMAN WHEN STEVE RAN THE BOAT WITH THE ODBA!!!!! STEVE WAS A FUN PERSON TO HANG OUT WITH AND GO TO THE LAKE WITH!!! HE HAD A FAST 2002 ALSO!!