1998 200 efi problems

bill

Motor gurus, I have a 1998 200efi that has left me stranded about 5 times now. I had high voltage on my fish finder and tach was jumping around the first time I took my boat out last fall when I bought it, so I put 2 new regulators on it, new stator and a new trigger. The stator was melted so I just replaced all 3 things. It doesn't idle good at all and likes to die with out giving it some throttle even when warm. Always seams like it is loading up. The livewell lines were leaking and filled the boat with water so I drained and removed the fuel tank to get to the fittings and saw the fuel pick up screen laying on the bottom of the tank so I soldered a copper pickup tube in the tank, I rebuilt the fuel pulse pump. That is what I have done just so you guys know.I don't know what else to do. I was hoping those things would fix the problem but it didn't. When it dies the plugs are soaked like it is flooded. I pull the plugs every time this happens and dry them off and it wont start. It will restart after sitting from 4-6 hours. I got stranded in a tournament this weekend and it really sucked. Can that be the ECU, coils or switchboxes causing that? I would also like to know if I can put a 225 promax power head on that mid. I have zero trust in this thing now and want to either fix it and sell the motor or put a new power head on it. Sorry for the long post. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.
Sincerely Bill

bill

I just read my post and saw that I said the water filled my boat, I worded that wrong. It filled the back section where the pad is with about 4" of water just so you don't think it got in my fuel tank. I forgot to add it has pro max heads and a pro max ecu. Don't know if that makes a difference. I love my boat but the motor has me scratching my head. I would really like to put a pro max drop on power head on it if possible. It is a clean motor with an alien cowl and sporty on it already. I really want more power anyway and don't want to put to much $ in this 200. Anyway, you guys are the best and thank you in advance for any input.

bill

markd, it was the t-h marine on off valve leaking and the T fitting connecting the livewell drain and overflow to the main drain hose. Kind of a pain to get to so I pulled the tank and replaced all of my pumps and hoses and resealed all fittings including the livewell drain which was a 3 piece fitting like a sink drain. Plug your livewell drain on the back of the boat and fill the livewell full past the overflow hole and it should show you a drip. Also make sure your bilge pumps one way valve isn't dry rotted. The valve is $30. I have not checked the injectors yet. Should I check the pressure on the Schrader valve above the vst?

bill

The T fitting is 1" and the hoses are 1 1/8". Put some silicone on the fitting and hook up hoses but don't tighten them down until it sets up a little. Use a heat gun to get your hoses off with out breaking all of your fittings.

markd

Probationary User
Bill yes use fuel pressure Guage at shader valve. Turn on key and should pump to 40 to 45psi. Turn key off and pressure should hold for ten minutes losing only a few psi. Mine fell off instantly. Pulled injected housing and found one had a cut o ring. Replaced it and it cured gas smell and idle. Was running raw fuel into intake.Thanks for info. Hope this helps

bill

Pulled the intake bolts and fuel/oil was running out of the bolts holes pretty heavily. I pulled the injectors and all o rings look good. I am sending the ecu and injectors off to be tested .

bill

My new promax power head is now dead in the water with a stuck piston. So I put this motor back on the boat and am trying to save my vacation staring in a week. I ordered a new brucato acu and put 2 new switch boxes in and the boat runs but is idling like crap. I finally ran out of ideas and remembered I haven't pulled the reeds. So I did and they look like they have been used for target practice with a grenade launcher. I am getting a new set and I am praying this is it. Wish me luck

Jr in Jax

My Promax gets several hundred hours a year of hard use and my stock reeds were in almost pristine shape during my recent rebuild. Many times reed damage can be caused by "lean sneeze" so it might be worth checking your injectors/fuel pressure. Also FYI, many times I play my stereo all day while swimming in the springs and when my battery voltages drops below 12 VDC the ACU [and my old Merc ECU] will go full rich and smokes like a weedeater until the battery recharges.

bill

Thanks JR, I am going to get them tested after I get back from vacation. They look like boysen reeds. Are they prone to cracking?

Jr in Jax

I have not heard anything good about Boysen. I have heard good about the stock Merc and Chris Carson reeds. I am not a daily expert though, just a lifetime HiPer boater.