1980 16' tons of questions

Chingadera

So yesterday I finally became an Allison Boat owner. I have a 1980 Allison 16' boat. The boat needs restoration and I'm going to do the work myself with a catch. I plan on converting the boat to be used as a minimalist fishing rig.

Plans so far:
1. Rebuild the transom with new coosa bluewater 26
2. Replace rotted stringers and floor with composite material possibly a Preform stringer and carboncore floor or corecell
2. Remove cap and flat deck boat similar to flats boat style with corecell or carbon core

Possible modifications to make this work: Cut gunwall flare off and raise gunwalls 3-4" to help with fishing and waves with extra boat weight in addition raise the transom height an inch or more and level it all the way across the back. I have also considered adding sponsons to help float the rear at rest but I have concerns on that effecting boat performance.

Questions:
1. I have a mint Mercury 150 xr6 1995 model that I would like to run on this boat. I know 140 omc were run on these hulls and my xr6 is basically the same weight maybe lighter with a few mods. I also have a Mercury elpto 90 but I am really wanting to run the 150 and go as fast as possible. Can I get away with running the 150? If not how fast will the merc 1998 90hp push the boat?

Can I get away with adding sponsons to the boat without greatly effecting its performance?

Lastly does anyone have any photos of the 16' boat or racing info on them? I can't find anything as far as what motors were run, what props, what speeds?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this boat up nice and maintain as much performance as possible yet me able to fish from it a little. I have allot of experience with the fiberglass portion so that's a non issue. I just need help figuring out what I can do with what I have to make it perform the best possible and accomplish my goals.

Attachments

nort

I've got one question......
WHY!!
You've got a perfectly restorable classic performance V bottom, well suited to run nicely with you XR-6.
If you want a fishing boat.......BUY A FISHING BOAT!!

Chingadera

I've got one question......
WHY!!
You've got a perfectly restorable classic performance V bottom, well suited to run nicely with you XR-6.
If you want a fishing boat.......BUY A FISHING BOAT!!
I have a few fishing boats. I'm not talking about decking this out to be fully rigged just something I can fish from. I was contemplating building a 16' pad boat for over a year but I've always wanted an Allison hull. These folks down here spend 50-80k on boats! It's insane. They always buy the 22-25' bay boats the guides used disregarding the fact that the guides only use them to fish 3-5 people. So they buy them and there they are on a barge fishing alone and talking trash. I wanted something small that I could economically fish from that would also blow by them like they were standing still. I have allot of buddy's that are into the latest fad and I want something to show them up good. What a better way than in something done at home? I'm not boat jockey and I can't be on the water if I can't fish. I love this little boat to death and I can't believe I finally got my hands on one. I do allot of fiberglass work and I am excited about the possibilities of this boat. I do plan on keeping the colors. I dig the look but it's got to be undercover like an innocent fishing skiff. I don't even think my friends down here know what an Allison boat is so if this comes together it's going to be a big shock and a laugh. I'm stoked. So in summary I want a small sleeper fishing boat. I have a procraft 20' with the big 3.0l decked out with fury prop and I bet it would run 80 (27p fury never been past 76mph because of fear but I'm inching up to it) My friends see it and know it's fast and they won't talk. But this little Allison they will pass it over as a little toy and not expect much.

Jon

Supporting Member
I think you should sell me the XR6 and... yup, that's all I have.

Chingadera

Ha I've been wanting one for many years. I don't think I can sell it. I was on cloud nine all day measuring and crawling around it today.