17' xst with gt200

durandbagwell86

My 1982 17' xst currently runs 63mph on gps with 115 tower of power only small mods, wanting to put my 86 gt200 on it and wanting to know how it would do on this small of a boat, it has new transom with aluminum plate ready to hold the weight, dual steering, and 6" jack plate, I'm mainly wanting a drag boat that I can fish out of some. If anyone has or have seen one run a 200 let me know of any pic, tips or tricks. I've got worked 24 chopper and allison foil I'd like to run on it.Thanks

TBuck2003

I do not see any problem with the 200 if the transom has been beefed up and has a plate. I do not think you will need a full 6 in. of set back though. With that power you will have plenty of lift. I also would not run something like a chopper on there because it will have to much bow lift. A neutral lifting or tail lift prop to run the boat flat would be best. Go for it !!!! Good luck n be safe.

TBuck

K.Kiser

I'm gonna go ahead and assume the transom is good, although I've never like supplementary items like plates... Anyway, I'd put a Bob's machine jackplate on there that has the 5" option and it can reverse around to 2.5" and I think one of those options would work fine... As far as other stuff I'd put a coned 200 case on it with an ET style prop or a Yamaha style prop, and I think the Hydromotive T-3 would be an awesome prop for that application... Don't "air" that boat out or your gonna swim, keep it flat with a good set-up and it should be OK.. It's gonna be a real nice lake boat that isn't the norm, but can still run like a champ...

Darth VMAX

I believe the 86-87 GT 200's were a 2.7L motor and not a 3.0L (that didn't happen until 1988). I have no idea if that translates to a different weight than the 450lb 3.0L Loopers.

durandbagwell86

I think it is the 3.0L, it has a huge cowl, not like the gt150. The transom is brand new and built for the extra weight. I plan on having it on in the next few weeks. Thanks for the help and if anyone has any more tip please add.

Darth VMAX

Right, the cowls were still the same size as the later 3.0L and for sure were different than the smaller 2.4-2.6L V6 Crossflow (150-235hp) OMC

durandbagwell86

I've got motor on and ran it, just not fast yet, seems like it will work better than I thought. Thanks for help, I'll post pics and speeds when I get a good prop.

durandbagwell86

Got to try boat out with my 24p chopper, 71 mph on gps before hitting limiter, must have a good bit of slipage or not quite a 24p. I have the chance to get a hoss triton 28p or 30p chopper, If anyone knows which is better on an allison just let me know. Felt good to get my lil allison in the 70s, I'm just ready for more. Thanks guys:big grin

Iowafshr

Pics or it didn't happen... just kidding, but really would like to see pics and maybe some video.

Lotus 50

I've had real good experience with a 31 Triton and a 30 small ear chopper on my SS2000. Buy both and sell the slower one.

whipper

WOW now thats a Sleeper!!:big grin Ill bet when she boogys on some fast tunnels they are going to shake there heads in amazment in a good way!! i like her also. The motor does look right.